i now understand the religious mindset.

JLBats said:
Oh my God!

Except for the alcohol part, we're in the same boat!

I love you.

Wait... I thought you hated me because of my Semmitism or anti-semmitism or whatever it was you said :confused: (heh, I can't even think of the right word.. Semmitism? huh?)

JewishHobbit said:
It was required reading in when I was in highschool. I remember really liking it, though I can't remember much detail. That's the whole Big Brother thing right? I may have to give it a second read sometime... that and Fahrenheit 451, I remember liking that one too. Never read Brave New World though, I hear that's a similar style book.

yeah big brother, ingsoc, victory gin, the eternal war between three super states. the ministry of truth changing the record of the past to control the future. room 101. war is peace. freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

Danalys said:
no um last time was
sidney pretending to be that woman who was previously imitating her. her and sark in prison. she met the rose bloke.

uggh U.K. sucks with these airings.:down

JewishHobbit said:
Wait... I thought you hated me because of my Semmitism or anti-semmitism or whatever it was you said :confused: (heh, I can't even think of the right word.. Semmitism? huh?)

lol, no, I'm not Jewish, I'm a Hobbit. I love you.

Danalys said:
if there is one thing religion can offer to people that is worthwhile it is a feeling of being at peace. peace is such a gift that people believe it must be given. so they think of a god the could have offered them the peace. but peace is not given it is freed from inside and sometimes without the freer knowing how they did it.
Religion, Government, Fandom, Cults are all basically driven by the same principles. Essentially we are creating sets of rules to order the society around us in some way, shape or form.

Danalys said:
i guess jewish hobbit is of the opinion that scientists are fiction writers. perhaps people he knows will come up with any old **** to win an arguement. scientists don't need to. they have good reason to believe what they believe. they test each others ideas routinely to see if any mistakes have been made. they work independatly of each other testing and retesting. they even try to disprove each others theories. anything that passes all this scrutiny and explains multiple phenomina and can even be used to predict results is about as solid a theory as any. that includes theories like the orbits of the planets which does get refined with newer theories but has always been within a minute tolerance of error considering the scale. each new theory gives less error in predictive abilities. but certainly there is no point telling you this jewish hobbit. you could try to video an angel if you'd like, but i should think that if you could not a supernatural reason for such wouldn't be far from your thoughts. there is no truce between us, there will only ever be avoidence since our views are irreconsilable.

do you only believe in what you see, Danalys? do you believe that everything can be measured?

can't measure infinity. parts of it can be measured fine you just need the right measuring device. certainly there are things we will never experience or come across which will be left unmeasured. there's also quantum stuff that can only be measured in one way at a time. the position can only be known when the velocity isn't but i think this is a time related problem. things we can't sense in anyway and can't build a device to measure would be out of our scope but there would be no way of knowing if such a thing could or did exist. we measure some stuff by it's effect on other things. gravity is measured by it's effect on the acceleration of objects for example.

ShadowBoxing said:
Religion, Government, Fandom, Cults are all basically driven by the same principles. Essentially we are creating sets of rules to order the society around us in some way, shape or form.
perhaps spirituality would have been a better choice of word.

Danalys said:
perhaps spirituality would have been a better choice of word.
Doesn't really matter what you call it. God, Country, being a "fan" or "follower" of this or that are still all artificial distinctions we set up. Humans are definitely more complex than other animals, but we have a root cause for all our behavior, some natural state. I don't believe the phenomena of religion is wholey different from the phenomena of Government, congregation, organization of families, marriage, war, or any other number of human actions that seem somewhat distinct to us.

well they do stem from tribalism. but tribalism is so variable in practices that to ignore the effects of some particular practices would be folly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"