What Is The Right Religion?

WhatsHisFace

Avenger
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me getting older, but every day I wonder more and more about the meaning of life, why things happen as they do, and how we all got here. I've never really believed or didn't-believe in a "supreme being" or "beings", I just thought more about the "here and now". But I have seen the lives of the amazing people who have, such as Ghandi, Mother Theresa and a small group of others. Philosophy is very interesting, but I don't know of many philosophers with the inner peace that these people have had. In fact quite the opposite in most cases.

But anyway, I was hoping some of you could share some of your personal experiences, hopefully offer some direction, or advice. I don't know. If you believe in a God or Gods I'd like to hear from you.

Maybe it's just me getting older, but every day I wonder more and more about the meaning of life, why things happen as they do, and how we all got here. I've never really believed or didn't-believe in a "supreme being" or "beings", I just thought more about the "here and now". But I have seen the lives of the amazing people who have, such as Ghandi, Mother Theresa and a small group of others. Philosophy is very interesting, but I don't know of many philosophers with the inner peace that these people have had. In fact quite the opposite in most cases.

But anyway, I was hoping some of you could share some of your personal experiences, hopefully offer some direction, or advice. I don't know. If you believe in a God or Gods I'd like to hear from you.

"Sigh" ........well here we go again.

http://www.carm.org/atheism/why_believe.htm

Here's something to chew on.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Or really any polygamist religion.

My economics teacher once told me never talk about religion, money or politics cause it always leads to an endless argument

A better question is, why ask this kind of question to a bunch of either crazy, smartass comic geeks? :confused:

My economics teacher once told me never talk about religion, money or politics cause it always leads to an endless argument

That's the truth.

A better question is, why ask this kind of question to a bunch of either crazy, smartass comic geeks? :confused:

With some of the posters here at the Hype, expect a Flaming War to begin in this thread really soon. All we need is a die hard Christian, an extreme Atheist, and a couple of ignorant posters that don't know what the hell they are talking about to call this one a day. Thank God that E. Bison isn't around here.

No...because that assumes and/or implies that the closest thing to a, "correct religion," already exists. ;)

Don't bother with one, if you can enjoy your life without waiting for a better afterlife, or abiding by rules just to get into paradise etc, that makes for a decent living.

There is no supreme being, or after life. God and Heaven were created for people too weak to handle the fact that after death, there's nothingness.

There is no supreme being, or after life. God and Heaven were created for people too weak to handle the fact that after death, there's nothingness.
You know, I've reflected upon this idea a whole lot. People of faith tell, "non-believers," that the reason they are so resistant to the idea of a supreme being or afterlife is because they simply can't wrap their minds around it.

I think it's the other way around: the human mind cannot possibly comprehend nothingness, or the lack of comprehension or thought whatsover. This is beautifully reflected upon by the quote, "I think, therefore I am."

It should be no surprise, then, that the human mind would tend to only imagine a situation where it, or its own being, continues. It is impossible for our minds to comprehend this nothingness (practically by definition), and, frankly, to try is almost scary. Is it any wonder an afterlife is so appealing?

I would suggest finding that out on your own, because no matter what is said in here, each person is gonna think differently, and every other person will probably start arguing about which religion is better...

my guess is that it's gonna boil down to Christianity vs everyone else... again.

And you know this how? Can you prove this? Is this absolute fact? No. It's not.

Anyway, coming from a Christian, I'm always open minded when it comes to religion. Yes, Christianity has the most backing to it. However, while it's probably the most logical and simplest road to God, I think all religions hold a similar path to God. I think that if there was only one true way, then all the other religions would've realized that they were praying to a false entity and that tehy weren't getting any enlightenment because the God they were praying to was untrue and that Christians followed the true God.

Ideally, I would recommend Christianity since it's the simplest and most clear portrayal of God, but if you follow a different path, I would think that's fine.

Basically, follow the path you feel fits you best.

You know, I've reflected upon this idea a whole lot. People of faith tell, "non-believers," that the reason they are so resistant to the idea of a supreme being or afterlife is because they simply can't wrap their minds around it.

I think it's the other way around: the human mind cannot possibly comprehend nothingness, jor the lack of comprehension or thought whatsover. This is beautifully reflected upon by the quote, "I think, therefore I am."

It should be no surprise, then, that the human mind would tend to only imagine a situation where it, or its own being, continues. It is impossible for our minds to comprehend this nothingness (practically by definition), and, frankly, to try is almost scary. Is it any wonder an afterlife is so appealing?

I agree with you 100%. You better leave the Hype before you too are corrupted into a Christian, fanboy movie critic who believes that improving your post count will get you in bed with Jessica Alba. :csad:

Anyway, coming from a Christian, I'm always open minded when it comes to religion. Yes, Christianity has the most backing to it. However, while it's probably the most logical and simplest road to God, I think all religions hold a similar path to God. I think that if there was only one true way, then all the other religions would've realized that they were praying to a false entity and that tehy weren't getting any enlightenment because the God they were praying to was untrue and that Christians followed the true God.

Ideally, I would recommend Christianity since it's the simplest and most clear portrayal of God, but if you follow a different path, I would think that's fine.

Nor can you prove to me that in an alternate reality, there isn't a big purple man who eats planets.

It's up to you to supply proof. :o

Nor can you prove to me that in an alternate reality, there isn't a big purple man who eats planets.

It's up to you to supply proof. :o

Things like this can't be answered with proof. It's all a matter of faith. Until then I or any believer can't say for sure there is a God and an afterlife, but you nonbelievers can't come out and say there isn't.

And you know this how? Can you prove this? Possibly more than I can prove my own beliefs.

Anyway, coming from a Christian, I'm probably just saying I'm open minded when it comes to religion. Christianity has about the same backing to it as any other religion. None. However, while it's probably the least logical road to God, I think all religions hold a similar path to God. I think that if there was only one true way, then all the other religions would've realized that they were praying to a false entity and that tehy weren't getting any enlightenment (even I have no idea what the hell I'm trying to say here!) because the god they were praying to was untrue and that Christians followed the true god.

Ideally, I would recommend Christianity since it's the most convoluted and close-minded portrayal of a god, but if you follow a different path, I would think that's fine.

Edited for clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"