Religious survey

Harlekin

Business
Reaction score
I know you guys are probably pretty sick of religious threads by now, but I kind of need to do this as part of my philosophy assignment (I'm doing Journalism School and Philosophy is an extra course you can do).

The assignment (and the survey) is about religion and how it affects people (mostly young folk, so between the ages of 18-28) today. I have to write a little article based on this survey.

I want to make something extra clear though: This is not a discussion thread. This is thread simply for you guys to fill out this survey. Some small-time discussion about certain aspects of people's religion can be discussed, but I'd prefer most replies to be answers to the survey, not to each other.

I'm also going to have to ask that only people who actually have a religion participate. This assignment isn't about atheists or agnostics, but about people who do actually believe in something. Sorry folks, but that's the limitation of the assignment.

On to the actual survey:
Name?
<real name is preferrable, but not necessary>
Age?
<speaks for itself>
Your religion?
<are you christian, jewish, muslim or something else altogther?>
What is your proof for the existence of God/Allah/The entity your faith is centred around?
<what kind of proof do you have that this entity exists?>
What importance does religion have in your life?
<speaks for itself as well>
How free are you in your beliefs?
<in other words: have you been told to believe by your parents, or something else all together? Do you believe because your parents, or other authority figures, believe?>
How do you deal with God/Allah/Other?
<do you see him/her/it as all-powerful, do you think he's always right, do you believe that entity really makes a difference, what kind of rituals do you partake in to honor him/her/it?>
What do you think the connection between religion and the government should be, if any?
<speaks for itself>
What do you think is the connection between religion and democracy?
<speaks for itself, again>

Thanks for everyone that helps me out on this.

i see you have no posts yet.
i had to do this earlier this week and i just randomly PM'd people.
not ONE person turned me down and all were really good surveys.
i think you might get better reception that way.
good luck!:up::woot:

Since i have nothing else to do this morning

On to the actual survey:
Name?

Daniel Hanna

Age?

Your religion?

Odinist

What is your proof for God/Allah/The entity your faith is centred around?

Because they had the decency to die fighting the forces of evil so that man can live

Very minimal importance

I came upon them of my own free will after years of forced Sunday trips to church

I pay homage to them for the ultimate sacrifice they made

What do you think the connection between religion and the government should be, if any?

Absolutely none.

There is no connection at all. Religion is closer to a dictatorship than a democracy.

Thanks for everyone that helps me out on this.[/QUOTE]

heypapajinx said:
i see you have no posts yet.
i had to do this earlier this week and i just randomly PM'd people.
not ONE person turned me down and all were really good surveys.
i think you might get better reception that way.
good luck!:up::woot:
Thanks for the advice. I might do that, but I usually find such things a little invasive.

I have amended one of the questions to make it more clearer. Anyone who doesn't wish to disclose their beliefs in this thread can always PM me, and thanks again for those who participate!

Name?

Dave Parker

Age?

Your religion?

I believe in some form of higher power but not in any kind of religion. I believe the best way to "worship god" is to simply live what you would consider a good life. Religions are usually simply a good way for people to gain power over those who need to live their lives by instruction.

What is your proof for the existence of God/Allah/The entity your faith is centred around?

There is no proof, the nature of faith requires an absence of proof as faith with proof is simply knowledge. What i would point towards though is the big bang. Yes the universe was formed from a collection of gasses but where did they come from in the first place?

I view it as my conscience. Before taking any major action I consider whether or not I believe it to be the right thing to do. While I don't prescribe to traditional religious rules I still believe you have to live a good life.

Very, unlike most religions I don't subscribe to the whole, "do as we say or you're gonna burn ****er" attitude

To be honest (and this gonna come off super geeky) I see god as very much like "the watcher" from the marvel U. He sees what we do but in order to allow free will he cannot intervene in any way. This is why I never ask "god" for anything. My life is my own concern.

None because religion is ultimately a choice. Someone's belief structure shouldn't govern the lives of everyone else in a country. I believe this is a large part of the reason america is so ****ed up right now. :(

Very little, traditional religions are focussed around rules set by one person long ago that must be obeyed . The whole purpose of democracy is majority consensus so that everyone has a say. This is why religious governments often turn into fascist dictatorships.

:up:

Make of it what you will:

Name?
Full name? Aww crap.
Kyalesyin Sarah-Marie Armstrong-Ward

Age?

Your religion?
Somewhere between buddhist and pagan/wiccan with some christian elements. I pray primarily to the Mother Goddess, sometimes known as Gaia or Brede, although I also prey to Herne in times of conflict or anger.

I exist. There are things I cannot explain. There are things I have felt and seen that have not come from myself. Some things have come together too seamlessly to be accident.

On a day-to-day level, its hard to say. I live constantly within my faith. My name means Serenity and I try to live by it- calm, serene, peaceful and balenced. Its a constant source of guidence.

I made up my own mind, and my faith has eveolved and developed over time from an understanding that there must be 'something' to a sense of self and things beyond myself.

I pray as and when I need to. If I'm having a ****ty day I go down to the sea and pray with my hands in the water, or up on to the moors and pray to the wind. In a way, I'm more spiritual than religious.

None

Not sure. Organised religion never struck me as all that democratic.

On to the actual survey:
Name?
Roger Farinas
Age?
Your religion?
Chrisitan, Baptist to be more specific
None, that's pretty much the essence of faith.
I don't think there is any. I believe in God, I pray to him and try to live by his word.
I believe, because I chose to believe.
I think God put us on this Earth for a reason, I don't know what it is really, but there has to be a reason. I just try to live my life as best as I could.
Many elected officials hold religion dearly and at times are almost insane about it, which is not a good thing in my opinion.
Except the one made by elected officials, none. In its essence, religion of any kind is almost a dictatorship, where one person calls all the shot, or in the case of christianity a triumverate.

Darthphere said:
On to the actual survey:
Name?
Roger Farinas
Age?
Your religion?
Chrisitan, Baptist to be more specific
None, that's pretty much the essence of faith.
I don't think there is any. I believe in God, I pray to him and try to live by his word.
I believe, because I chose to believe.
I think God put us on this Earth for a reason, I don't know what it is really, but there has to be a reason. I just try to live my life as best as I could.
Many elected officials hold religion dearly and at times are almost insane about it, which is not a good thing in my opinion.
Except the one made by elected officials, none. In its essence, religion of any kind is almost a dictatorship, where one person calls all the shot, or in the case of christianity a triumverate.

especialy catholicism. i feel that religion is strongly a dictatorship.

Name?
Leslie Vaginton
Age?
Your religion?
Christian
The Bible says it's true.
It keeps me from choosing to be a gay. And from being aborted.
I'll be free when they put prayer back in school like it needs to be. There wouldn't be school shootings if God had still been in our schools.
I cut my wrists with a Passion of the Christ nail before I pray every night and lay in a crucifix position. Then I use my tears to *********e as I recite the Lord's Prayer.
Is this a trick question?
We wouldn't need democracy if everyone would just do the right thing. WWJD!

Calvin said:
Name?
Leslie Vaginton
Age?
Your religion?
Christian
The Bible says it's true.
It keeps me from choosing to be a gay. And from being aborted.
I'll be free when they put prayer back in school like it needs to be. There wouldn't be school shootings if God had still been in our schools.
I cut my wrists with a Passion of the Christ nail before I pray every night and lay in a crucifix position. Then I use my tears to *********e as I recite the Lord's Prayer.
Is this a trick question?
We wouldn't need democracy if everyone would just do the right thing. WWJD!

*dies laughing* :woot:

Name?
Kyle
Age?
Your religion?
Secular Humanism
I believe that "God", while he does not exist in reality, is a useful metaphor for all that we can't understand, and all that we can hope to become.
I tend to focus on practical matters. I save my personal debates on epistomology, morality, etc. for really tough times.
I chose it freely.
I believe that there is no God, there are no universal laws set by him, and it doesn't matter if we win. What matters is that we play the game.
We certianly need a sense of morality in all aspects of government. As long as it is not imposed on others, this would suit us fine.
Personally, I think most monotheistic religions are antithetical to democracy. They teach us obedience instead of self-reliance. Heaven is a Kingdom, not a Republic. And while religious freedom is important to any democracy, the danger of a tyranny of the majority is ever present.

Name?
tariq
Age?
Your religion?
muslim
quran spoke of scientific things that were not know then and they turned out to be true
it gives me self confidance
I chose it freely.
i pray
religon should never be compulsary
A government should be democratic and not controlled by any religon

How come anytime someone wants to ask a controversial question/poll online they always say it's for a school project? Not that I'm saying the original poster did this, but I notice that a lot.

To give themselves some security/safety from attacks. I'm being honest here though. If I really wanted to ask controversial questions I would scrap about half of that list.

I also want to thank everyone for participating in this (yes, Calvin too :p), you've been a great help.

Name?
Anthony

Age?

Your religion?
Roman Catholic, though I do have some beliefs that are associated with other religions.

In reality, there is no true proof, which is why the concept of faith is put into power. Right now, my faith is really strong. I've prayed for a lot of good this year, and for the most part those prayers have been answered, which to me is enough proof.

It gives me hope and self confidence.

I went to Catholic school when I was younger, and I still harbour those beliefs. Though even I didn't, I most likely would still beleive in God.

I view God as a man who truly does love all who bring good to the world, and who punishes those who don't. I do think he is pretty much always right.

None.

Once again, none. The only connection is that as democracy, we are promised religious freedoms, as stated in the Bill Of Rights.

Name?
Junior
Age?
Your religion?
Catholic
None and none needed.
Basis for basic morals
Introduced by my parents
I go to church, though not very often at all. 2 of them being Midnight Mass for Christmas and at Easter. Then just random days when I'm inspired.
No idea
Free will/Choice

Name?
Paul
Age?
Your religion?
Buddhist, although it's not really a religion.
I have no proof, and I don't feel that I need any.
I have found a religion, if you'd like to call it that, that preaches the message instead of the man. That to me is very important.
Buddhism doesn't demand anything, rather it suggests. I chose, on my own, to listen and follow these suggestions.
I accept the fact that God is something beyond my own understanding and leave it at that.
Just that the government should let anyone practice whatever religion they want.
Personally, I think relegion and democracy are very similar. Both are meant to accomplish a greater good for a large group of people, but seldom work if the people have not yet learned to embrace this.

Hope I was some help.

wow i cant believe you people are filling out his survey instead of disccusing randomness when he said PLEASE NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD...conformists, the lot of you.

Name?
Jamal Joseph

Age?

Your religion?
Christian (former Catholic)

Poof? Ha. I'm just going on a hunch :)

It's kind of in a slump now but it's usually very important

I was Catholic b/c of my parents but after some investigation and growth, I decided to "downgrade"

I like the "kid with an ant-farm" metaphor.

I'd like to see them in harmony but there are too many different religions for that :(

Not aure how this question differs from the one above :huh:

A government is not necessarily a democracy.

Name?
Cyrus Bales
Age?18
Religion?
Anti-theist
The lack of proof and suchlike makes me not believe
I find Relgion is a bane of civilised society(my POV, so don't get arsey!)
Using rational thought, I have come to my own conclusion
I don't, you may as well deal with a magical invisible dragon(Once again, my POV, richard Dawkins can say it, why can't I?)
NONE!!!
Religion is used as social control, the ruling party can manipulate the public using it

Using the inclusive definition of religion, Anti-theism can be considered a relgion(ironic I know).

Harlekin said:
I know you guys are probably pretty sick of religious threads by now, but I kind of need to do this as part of my philosophy assignment (I'm doing Journalism School and Philosophy is an extra course you can do).

The assignment (and the survey) is about religion and how it affects people (mostly young folk, so between the ages of 18-28) today. I have to write a little article based on this survey.

I want to make something extra clear though: This is not a discussion thread. This is thread simply for you guys to fill out this survey. Some small-time discussion about certain aspects of people's religion can be discussed, but I'd prefer most replies to be answers to the survey, not to each other.

I'm also going to have to ask that only people who actually have a religion participate. This assignment isn't about atheists or agnostics, but about people who do actually believe in something. Sorry folks, but that's the limitation of the assignment.

On to the actual survey:
Name?
Age?
<speaks for itself>
Your religion?
<in other words: have you been told to believe by your parents, or something else all together? Do you believe because your parents, or other authority figures, believe?>
<do you see him/her/it as all-powerful, do you think he's always right, do you believe that entity really makes a difference, what kind of rituals do you partake in to honor him/her/it?>
<speaks for itself>

Believe me.....They are not tired of religious threads as long as they bash Christians. Those get the red carpet treatment. :up: They don't like the ones that are critical of other religious groups ....especially Muslims.

Name?
Not saying my real name ;)
Age?
Your religion?
I dont have one i wasnt anything as a baby
They dont
Its not important at all, as i live with out it and have never been to church
My parents let me make my own mistakes
All the same to me
They shouldnt kill in the name of "god" thats for sure

Harlekin said:

On to the actual survey:
Name?
Age?
<speaks for itself>
Your religion?
<speaks for itself>

if only they could resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"