I started my own webcomic

I know Kung Fu master and I were going to let this thread die, but I couldn't resist pimping our new site design. We decided to go with a new look after realizing there is a such think as awards for comics (http://www.ccawards.com/), and one of those awards is website design. I took it upon myself to create something a little less amatuer and a little more themed.

It was a lot of work to create, so I'd like to know what those familiar with what the site used to look like think of the new look.

I like it...a bit more professional looking than the last one.

I like the little popcorn guy that pops up when you want to go 'back'. I don't remember if that was there before, but I still like it.

Ha, yeah they were there before. I've always liked those guys, too. Johnny DC and I call them the "snack pack," they resemble the guys from the old "Let's all go to the lobby" song played during movie intermissions. We figured characters like that would make good mascots for the webcomic.

[YT]vfDXlgmKFyU[/YT]

Thought you guys would be interested in our newest comic "Bat-Munchies":

We were going to do a comic on Silence of The Lambs this week, but we came up with a pretty good Spider-Man strip and we didn't want two superhero films so close together.

Look for the Spider-Man strip in a couple of weeks after we do our American Beauty and Drunken Master comics.

Last edited:
Jon's the DC fan (obviously), I'm the Marvel fan. I was really wanting to do a strip on a Marvel movie since this is the second DC strip we've done (if you count V for Vendetta as DC). I didn't even really want to put this strip up until I thought of a good Spider-Man joke because I felt like I would be betraying my inner Marvel zombie.

If you click the above comic, you'll be taken to the For The Reels site, and if you click the comic THERE, you'll be taken to our new behind-the-scenes commentary on the strip.

We were going to do a comic on Silence of The Lambs this week, but we came up with a pretty good Spider-Man strip and we didn't want two superhero films so close together.

Look for the Spider-Man strip in a couple of weeks after we do our American Beauty and Drunken Master comics.

Dood I friggin LOVE your comic! :woot::word::up:

HappyFeetc-795x1017.png

I love you for this. :up:

HappyFeetc-795x1017.png

I love you for this. :up:

^ Of all the strips on the site, I wondered why you singled that one out, Superhobo, until I checked out your blog. I never considered just how meaphorical and dense the film's concept was until now. I really enjoyed that movie. Honestly I don't even see why my brother didn't like it.

From my strip commentary:

Happy Feet was another movie that we knew had the potential to make a great joke, but for the longest time we couldn't put our finger on what it was. Then once you figure out what the joke is, it's so obvious you don't realize why it didn't come to you before. Jon is the one that really nailed the concept of this one.

The strip was orginally going to have just one or a couple of other penguins singing their heart songs. We definitely knew we wanted Amy Winehouse's rehab song in there, not because we like Amy Winhouse (actually the opposite, I think her music sucks and she's kinda freaky looking), but because we thought it would be hilarious to see a baby penguin shooting up heroin. From there, the rest of the songs just kept coming.

We wanted to use songs that showed a diversity of different vices, and that would be recognizable to most people. I think my favorite one here is Prodigy's "Smack My ***** Up." A penguin in a stained wife-beater is just classic.

Initially, Jon wanted the punchline to be Mumbles getting shot with a shotgun or him hanging himself. Luckily, I was able to convince him otherwise, and I think we made a great strip.

love it! make more

^ Of all the strips on the site, I wondered why you singled that one out, Superhobo, until I checked out your blog. I never considered just how meaphorical and dense the film's concept was until now. I really enjoyed that movie. Honestly I don't even see why my brother didn't like it.

Well, different strokes, I guess. But, it's a George Miller film - the man's a true artist, no argument.

From my strip commentary:

Happy Feet was another movie that we knew had the potential to make a great joke, but for the longest time we couldn't put our finger on what it was. Then once you figure out what the joke is, it's so obvious you don't realize why it didn't come to you before. Jon is the one that really nailed the concept of this one.

The strip was orginally going to have just one or a couple of other penguins singing their heart songs. We definitely knew we wanted Amy Winehouse's rehab song in there, not because we like Amy Winhouse (actually the opposite, I think her music sucks and she's kinda freaky looking), but because we thought it would be hilarious to see a baby penguin shooting up heroin. From there, the rest of the songs just kept coming.

Gnarles Barkley - awesome. :up:

We wanted to use songs that showed a diversity of different vices, and that would be recognizable to most people. I think my favorite one here is Prodigy's "Smack My ***** Up." A penguin in a stained wife-beater is just classic.

Yes, it is. :hehe:

Initially, Jon wanted the punchline to be Mumbles getting shot with a shotgun or him hanging himself. Luckily, I was able to convince him otherwise, and I think we made a great strip.

He probably has a 'director's cut' somewhere that he's hiding from you, heh.

LOL, these are great. You should do an Aliens one next.

What a great movie! I can't believe we haven't done a strip on that yet! We'll definitely do a comic on Alien soon. :up:

EDIT: I just realized I don't own the movie. I am so disappointed in myself.

Well, at least I have an excuse to go out and buy it.

Aaaannd another comic you guys might enjoy:

It's called "Indiana's Jonesin'", from a scene in Raiders

2009-10-22-y2cl-752-FTR-25-Indianas-Jonesin.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! We'll most definitely do a TDK strip in the future, too. Just not sure when. All the strips we've done have been on established movies (not in theaters) so we can make sure as many people as possible have seen the movie and get the joke.

But since pretty much the whole universe has seen TDK, I don't know if we'll wait till it comes out on DVD, we'll see. We do have a pretty good Jaws strip that we'll be putting up in a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"