Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

JAK®;23911915 said:
What's the point?

Because this is an adaptation of a world famous, iconic and visually distinct character, that's the point.

What was the point of the stars and stripes on Captain America's costume in The Avengers?

What was the point of The Hulk being green?

What was the point of Superman's cape?

I'd hate to live in a world where everything needed a "point". It sounds boring.

I'm not saying everything needs a point.

All I'm saying is, what would be the point of Batman wearing fabric over armour. It's odd. I know it used to be like that, but it's not anymore. The Batsuit is now armour, not fabric.

I'm not particularly bothered how the suit turns out, because I pretty much liked what I've seen over the years...besides from the nipples.

But my point is, Batman's suit should always be designed by a flesh and blood human being, who has no powers that can allow him to dodge attacks, thus needing as much armour and stealth stuff as he can get. But he also needs a suit that can allow him to leap about and make a quick getaway, cause most suits have been slow.

And it's not like I'm the only who thinks this, even the comics themselves address the points what I've made.

All I'm saying is, what would be the point of Batman wearing fabric over armour. It's stupid. I know it used to be like that, but it's not anymore. The Batsuit is now armour, not fabric.

Off the top of my head?

1. So that foes don't immediately realize he is armored.

2. So that he can maintain a more supernatural aspect.

3. Because it's a faithful element to the comics.

JAK®;23911055 said:
I'd just like to get most of the stock arguments out of the way;

• Nobody is asking for spandex. Fabric-based is not the same as spandex. The comic costume is not spandex.
  • A full black costume is actually worse at urban camouflage than a black and grey costume, or even a blue and grey costume (which military studies have confirmed is the most effective)
  • There are several fan-made manipulations or actual constructed costumes that prove the comic design does not look silly.
  • Molded rubber is not a realistic option, because the actors who actually had to wear them complained about a lack of mobility and overheating.
  • Nobody complained that Catwoman isn't wearing armour in TDKR even though she is just as vulnerable as Batman is. You may say she has the advantage of stealth, well so does Batman.
  • Realism is redundant when you still have the bat-ears and the cape, which are by far the least realistic aspects of the costume.
  • Durable fabric-based materials exist.
  • Audiences embrace 'silly' looking costumes as long as the movie is good. See Spider-Man, The Avengers.
  • Posting pictures of Adam West proves the comic costume looks silly as much as posting pictures of George Clooney proves rubber armour looks silly.

Did I get them all?
The entire state of Ohio is shaking to my thunderous applause at this post.

Off the top of my head?

1. So that foes don't immediately realize he is armored.

2. So that he can maintain a more supernatural aspect.

3. Because it's a faithful element to the comics.

Perhaps in the early days of his career.

It was a faithful element, before the new 52. Superman's duds being removed and having his entire costume be changed into Kryptonian armour by both DC and WB should tell us what they make of the old stuff.

I'm placing my money on the new Batsuit being armour like the current costume in the comics.

Last edited:
The only reason against a classic comics Batman suit is that we hardly won't find anyone who has the right body proportions. Still, with right angles it'll work, of course.

Perhaps in the early days of his career.

It was a faithful element, before the new 52. Superman's duds being removed by both DC and WB should tell us what they make of the old stuff.

Didn't you get the memo? Modern stuff doesn't count, it's on the same level of fanzines and fanfiction.

Perhaps I need to start remembering James Bond? He doesn't need armour or black clothes to get the job done.

If Batman has an armored suit; it should involve an exoskeleton which carries the weight of the armor, and it should only be used when the mission calls for it.
amazing-game-tech-in-real-life-20090421020111509.jpg

HULC-exoskeleton.jpg

JAK®;23910969 said:
Works for James Bond.

Damn, I was about to post basically the same response.

Last edited:
I say suit because Bale's Batman has been defined by his armor, and restricted in fighting because of the costume.

I think Batman needs to be light and flexible in the reboot; he needs to be able to perform acts of espionage and be able to out-fight the criminals. I'm not suggesting a return to the literal tights of the comics; I'm just suggesting soft modern materials, all black, and utilitarian in design.

Batman's technology needs to get away from the grappling hook and ninja arm bracers.

The gloves and the shoes could feature a glue like technology similar to the gloves in Mission Impossible 4; supplying Batman with an ability that was formerly Spider-Man's territory.

Tom_Cruise_on_Burj_Khalifa.jpg

The mask should cover the entire face and thus protect the entire face. My personal preference for design would be similar to the Kroenen mask in the image below, but with a sculpted mouth and chin. I think the mask should refelct that the idea that this is a Bat-man.

ven2.jpg

The ears/horns are an issue of their own. I might prefer short horns like Miller's Dark Knight, but long or short, I don't want to see them curved inward like cat ears again.

Spider Bat

Perhaps I need to start remembering James Bond? He doesn't need armour or black clothes to get the job done.

I totally agree......Can we please get back to the original look??? A flexible mesh type of very dark gray fabric and a black leather-like cape ala Keaton's Batman????

And I agree.....let's up the ante on his intellect, criminology skills, and tech.......and I want a real Batmobile this time.

Right...Batman...A guy who's suit is designed to be bullet, stab, fire proof, cold resistant, since he deals with madmen that often try to shoot him, stab him, set fire to him and freeze him...he should wear something that offers him no advantages or protection? A suit that he could be killed in five minutes with?

The point is missing when we turn Bruce into Tony Stark. Stark is all about the suit.....Bruce's main weapons are his body and his mind! The suit is along for the ride. Batman can survive without his suit....or at least he has trained himself for such a situation. Tony Stark needs that armor....even to fight.

To have a suit that is so loaded down and cumbersome defeats his purpose in training his body to be flexible, nimble and cat-like. So now he puts on armor so heavy he cAN'T MOVE?? Really? A flexible mesh like material.....but no more black rubber!

I just hope they pull away from Tim Burton's version.

Last edited:
I've been mulling this over recently with Nolan's trilgoy finally complete, and my conclusion is that a TV series would be much better than a movie reboot.

But before you all shout me down, I don't mean a TV series in the vein of Smallville or Arrow, but a big budget multi-part series (between 12-20) of upto an hour and a half long, made to the high standard of classics like The Sopranos or Band of Brothers.

A series with a budget large enough to attract top actors, allow for the effects and gadgets etc.

I envision it to start in Gotham just prior to Bruce's return. A corrupt city with an underworld at war, fighting for control. This would allow for a lot of characters to be introduced so they can play bigger roles in the scheme of things further down the series. For example have the Penguin be a major crime boss, running the nightclubs downtown. He could be at 'war' with Roman Sionis, Falcone etc., and a nice idea occurred to me too of a scene where he's at his club discussing business while in the background auditions for cabaret acts are going on. They are not the focus of attention, but the Ventriloquist could try out only to be told to get lost, similarly a comeidan that stinks, but has a familiar look to him... all characters that could be evolved or reappear later on after being subtly introduced.

As for Bruce, as with Year one, have him trying to find his persona at first but ultimately when he does become Batman a suit similar to Arkham Asylum would be nice, but keep the head turning from TDK please ;-)

The quality is the most important key-word, but I think a the sweeping arc of a series like this could truly do justice to the character of Batman, and his rogues gallery - which could be pretty extensively explored.

I've been mulling this over recently with Nolan's trilgoy finally complete, and my conclusion is that a TV series would be much better than a movie reboot.

But before you all shout me down, I don't mean a TV series in the vein of Smallville or Arrow, but a big budget multi-part series (between 12-20) of upto an hour and a half long, made to the high standard of classics like The Sopranos or Band of Brothers.

A series with a budget large enough to attract top actors, allow for the effects and gadgets etc.

I envision it to start in Gotham just prior to Bruce's return. A corrupt city with an underworld at war, fighting for control. This would allow for a lot of characters to be introduced so they can play bigger roles in the scheme of things further down the series. For example have the Penguin be a major crime boss, running the nightclubs downtown. He could be at 'war' with Roman Sionis, Falcone etc., and a nice idea occurred to me too of a scene where he's at his club discussing business while in the background auditions for cabaret acts are going on. They are not the focus of attention, but the Ventriloquist could try out only to be told to get lost, similarly a comeidan that stinks, but has a familiar look to him... all characters that could be evolved or reappear later on after being subtly introduced.

As for Bruce, as with Year one, have him trying to find his persona at first but ultimately when he does become Batman a suit similar to Arkham Asylum would be nice, but keep the head turning from TDK please ;-)

The quality is the most important key-word, but I think a the sweeping arc of a series like this could truly do justice to the character of Batman, and his rogues gallery - which could be pretty extensively explored.

Dude
I like that a lot!

The point is missing when we turn Bruce into Tony Stark. Stark is all about the suit.....Bruce's main weapons are his body and his mind! The suit is along for the ride. Batman can survive without his suit....or at least he has trained himself for such a situation. Tony Stark needs that armor....even to fight.

To have a suit that is so loaded down and cumbersome defeats his purpose in training his body to be flexible, nimble and cat-like. So now he puts on armor so heavy he cAN'T MOVE?? Really? A flexible mesh like material.....but no more black rubber!

I just hope they pull away from Tim Burton's version.

You're absolutely right.

Also, we need more emphasis on Batman's gadgets that cause distraction and gadgets that disarm weapons, like the Batarangs! Cause we all know, when you're in a tight spot in the Arkham games, they are crucial to Batman's survival.

You're absolutely right.

Also, we need more emphasis on Batman's gadgets that cause distraction and gadgets that disarm weapons, like the Batarangs! Cause we all know, when you're in a tight spot in the Arkham games, they are crucial to Batman's survival.

Bingo

I'd much rather they show Bats being a fit guy who is incredibly cunning. Demonstrating this cunning takes far more creative thought, but is very rewarding. This is one of the reasons why people love the Bourne stuff. The impromptu crowning moments of badass. As for the armor that should just be left up to the viewer to decide. Ultimately, you get the impression Bats makes the man, and not the suit that makes Batman.

I know how we all feel about Batman Forever, but I really liked those gadgets at the start film, where he's fighting Two-Face's goons. Where he uses that electric trap thing, and throws that Batarang that ties the thugs feet up.

We obviously won't see them again, but they managed to save his life, cause he subdued the thugs with guns.

That needs to happen. Like with Batarangs, smoke bombs, electric grenades.

I know how we all feel about Batman Forever, but I really liked those gadgets at the start film, where he's fighting Two-Face's goons. Where he uses that electric trap thing, and throws that Batarang that ties the thugs feet up.

We obviously won't see them again, but they managed to save his life, cause he subdued the thugs with guns.

That needs to happen. Like with Batarangs, smoke bombs, electric grenades.

And I want Bruce to be the one who creates those gadgets

And I want Bruce to be the one who creates those gadgets

Yup. The Batcave needs to be filled with everything that keeps Bruce from going back to WE and Fox every time he needs a gadget made or something.

Also Bruce NEEDS to be written as someone who is extremely dedicated to what he does. I never really got that from Bale's Bats. He was a never a Batman that would spends weeks and months obsessively preparing his new 'home' with everything he needed...cause he had Fox and WE...and well, if we know what happens in the end of TDKR...
he was not the dedicated and obsessive comic book Batman at all!

Yup. The Batcave needs to be filled with everything that keeps Bruce from going back to WE and Fox every time he needs a gadget made or something.

Also Bruce NEEDS to be written as someone who is extremely dedicated to what he does. I never really got that from Bale's Bats. He was a never a Batman that would spends weeks and months obsessively preparing his new 'home' with everything he needed...cause he had Fox and WE...and well, if we know what happens in the end of TDKR...
he was not the dedicated and obsessive comic book Batman at all!

"I'm retired"??? Really???

I think getting an actor that has some actual size would help I like Bale a lot has Bats but his build isnt exactly right he has more of a runner build than some one like Hemsworth.

Fabric armor exists BTW.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6526862.html

"A lightweight, ballistic resistant fabric armor constructed of multiple layers of high performance fiber woven fabric arranged in a quasi-isotropic orientation. The fabric armor is used in ballistic resistant garments to cover and protect vital portions of the human body. Used in a garment, the fabric armor is of minimal areal density and bulk while providing flexibility, freedom of movement, ventilation, and an inconspicuous appearance. The fabric armor meets many different global ballistic standards (e.g., the ballistic performance requirements of the National Institute of Justice Standard), with the number of woven fabric layers determined by the level of protection desired."

Sounds exactly like something Batman would wear.

Last edited:

I actually wanted to see the same thing for a while but instead of a live-action TV series, I would prefer it to be an animated series intended for an older audience. It doesn't have to be full of sex, gore, and swearing but it should at least be as dark and mature as the stories in the comics and have a PG-13 rating. I think that would be awesome to see :yay:. But of course we won't get that for a while because Warner Bros doesn't want to take the chance of making an adult superhero cartoon. Even though there clearly is a huge chunk of people that would want something like this and superheroes (specifically Batman) are some of the biggest cash cows right now in all mediums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"