Batman costume for reboot

OP84CC82

Civilian
Reaction score
If the series does get a reboot, what suit would you like to see Batman wear? For me, I'd either have something like Batman: Arkham Asylum or, if you've ever seen the segment of Batman: Gotham Knight entitled Working Though Pain, I'd like to see that costume on the screen. An alternative I'd also recommend is the New 52 costume.

I know it'll never happen, and I'm probably alone in this. But I think I'd like to see a nice, simple traditional comic book Batman outfit done in VERY dark colors for the big screen. No armor. Just the basic no-nonsense suit of a guy who is really well trained, ad not afraid of bullets because he is a MASTER of stealth!

I don't mind the armor so much - let's face it, he'd be a dead man without it no matter how good a crimefighter he is; this is Gotham we're talking about - I just wish they wouldn't make it so detailed and overemphasized in the design (like the TDK suit). The "Returns" suit was IMO a nice example of a minimalistic approach to the body-armor look.

As for switching back to blue/grey, something about the black suits seems to look better for the movies IMO...maybe darken the blue and gray to the point of looking almost black without actually being black? I dunno.

I don't mind the armor so much - let's face it, he'd be a dead man without it no matter how good a crimefighter he is; this is Gotham we're talking about - I just wish they wouldn't make it so detailed and overemphasized in the design (like the TDK suit). The "Returns" suit was IMO a nice example of a minimalistic approach to the body-armor look.

As for switching back to blue/grey, something about the black suits seems to look better for the movies IMO...maybe darken the blue and gray to the point of looking almost black without actually being black? I dunno.

My reply over in another thread:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=23406441&posted=1#post23406441

Last edited:
I know it'll never happen, and I'm probably alone in this. But I think I'd like to see a nice, simple traditional comic book Batman outfit done in VERY dark colors for the big screen. No armor. Just the basic no-nonsense suit of a guy who is really well trained, ad not afraid of bullets because he is a MASTER of stealth!
Eh, I'm not sure. I'd think that someone like Batman would know that he could never live if taken out by a bullet, no matter how much he tries to "work through pain" so I'd think he'd try to put some sort of armor on himself. But what do you mean by a "traditional" Batman outfit? Do you mean like a suit made of just fabric or something EXACTLY like the comics?

Eh, I'm not sure. I'd think that someone like Batman would know that he could never live if taken out by a bullet, no matter how much he tries to "work through pain" so I'd think he'd try to put some sort of armor on himself.

I disagree. This is a contemporary viewpoint, and it certainly has it's validity. But I've already said, I have no interest in an overly contemporary ultra-realistic approach to The Batman. First and foremost, this is supposed to be a fun comic book fantasy. Virtually ALL of the writers and directors of Batman films (who by their own admission know very little about The Batman's comic book history / exploits) have missed this basic point.

The Batman is an extraordinary man. And I don't think he should operate by the standards of an ordinary man... especially within the context of a comic book fantasy.

For MANY years, The Batman got along just fine in the comics WITHOUT armor. He took more than his share of occasional scrapes, to be sure, but he didn't wear any armor. That was a big part of the drama of his exploits. He HAD to be really good at what he did because he was un-protected... working without the proverbial "safety net".

But what do you mean by a "traditional" Batman outfit? Do you mean like a suit made of just fabric or something EXACTLY like the comics?

Yes. Preferably something like that. And while I know this would probably NEVER fly for you, for me (since it have never even been tried) it is SORELY missed. I'm sick and tired of live action movie Batmen looking overly stiff, restricted, and cocooned in a suit that should look and function like his second skin instead. I'm sick and tired of an overly sculpted rubber monkey suit dominating the traditional functions of the character. To my eyes, there are no worse offenders of this than the costumes worn by Christian Bale in the last two Batman films. Those costumes are horrible eye sores to me. The Batman is supposed to be a mysterious specter stalking criminals throughout the streets of Gotham with his cape CLOSED in front of him (in the tradition of the cloak-wearing night-watchmen and constables of old, rain-slick, gothic, european cities). But instead, in these big-budget Batman movies by Nolan, they don't DARE depict the character in a way that is appropriate. NO!!! That would mean covering up the multi-million dollar butt-ugly rubber monkey suit.:doh:

And what of other super hero films?

THE AVENGERS is this summer's runaway movie blockbuster, and by the estimation of many, possibly THE all-time best comic book movie ever made. Yes, Iron Man (who is armored) is a fun character. Yes, The Hulk (who is a mutant) virtually steals the movie. And Yes, it was great to see Captain America (who uses a shield) in action.

But what about some of the other characters? Black Widow's greatest defensive weapon is her fighting skill... (No ARMOR). In fact, her first scene in the film is SO INTERESTING specifically because she faced off against several armed adversaries COMPLETELY un-armed and un-protected. Hawkeye (Non-super-powered and armed only with a bow and arrow) also wore no armor... even as he charged into open COMBAT, against multiple adversaries, in the film's highly-charged climax.

In the film Daredevil (love it or hate it), the (non-super powered) character gets along just fine WITHOUT ARMOR. And that character is about as similar as you can get to The Batman in terms of level of "realism".

I could go on, but honestly, I'm so tired of writing about this subject since I have done it ad-nauseum for years, and it feels like the beating of a dead horse.:bdh:

Suffice it to say, I know people like it very much, and more power to them. I am not interested in taking away anyone's enjoyment from anything.

But as far as I am concerned, The Batman does NOT need armor.

Last edited:
Amen, Darklord, well put. Believe me, you are not alone in this.

I'm all for something a little more grounded as well, but, eh, I doubt mainstream audiences could take that seriously after so many armored suits.

I love how everyone is really set on the idea of a toned-down costume in a reboot. C'mon, does Hollywood ever really tone anything down for reboots? Nope, they'll just blow the whole thing even further out of proportion.

Personally, I would like to see this in a movie:
IMG_0017.jpg

And to have it take place in the 40's (although I realize THAT will never happen, but I still think it's a good idea)

Our new friend here on the Superherohype message board by the name of Vigilant submitted the image below (on the left) as his preferred Batman costume design for a Batman re-boot film.

I was VERY impressed with the image, and I particularly liked the texture of the grey tights which are not as simple as spandex cloth, but not overly sculpted and "techy" like armor either.

Using Photoshop, I re-rendered his image with the slightly more colorful details that I would like to see in a new suit on the big screen.

Enjoy!

TheBatmanMoviecostumecomp.jpg

If i ever saw a Bat-suit like this one on the big screen, featured in a film with a really good script and a reverence toward the original comic book material, I would die a happy man.

Last edited:
I would like to see the comic book version or at least the Arkham Asylum version.
The problem is Nolan wants realism, as if he's ashamed to be making a comic book movie.

In a reboot I'd like to see a charcoal grey and black color scheme, the concept of armor toned down but still present in an all around slimmer and tighter fitting suit, a cape that is capable of closing all the way around, and a new version of a yellow oval symbol (maybe something with a larger bat that stretches out past the oval or circle). I also have an idea of doing the mask as a make-up prosthetic to keep it thin and malleable while still being sculpted and substantial looking. No trunks.

Hey,my good friends,I like the batman costume,too.I think the costume is unusual and classical,How about this one?I like it too death?
batman-costume-dark-knight-collector-custom-full-set-1.jpg

I think Arkham series would've made a good movie with some alterations.

The Arkham City one is prefect, wanted to say with a slightly shorter ear, but again that long shaped ear could be the signature of the new batman, just like how spider-man extended the legs.

yeah,nice ~~ I like cosplay costume very much. What do you think about this
Batman costume?now I want to buy it,anyone who can give me some suggesiton? thank you ~~~~

yeah,nice ~~ I like cosplay costume very much. What do you think about this
Batman costume?now I want to buy it,anyone who can give me some suggesiton? thank you ~~~~

The cape needs to be longer. Needs gloves. If your gonna do "all-cloth" for the armor, might want to stuff it with something. I'm using foam for my costume, you'd be better off making the armor pieces out of foam and attaching them to your costume. The belt too.

Agreed, but I'd like to add (at the risk of repeating myself), that I have no problem with armor, but I still maintain there is NO reason that it has to be so readily apparent that he is wearing armor. Don't you think it would add to Batman's notoriety if he gets shot a lot but suffers no really ill effects since he is indeed wearing armor but it looks like he's only wearing cloth? And there are real world materials that could do that, stuff that looks like fabric but is fully bulletproof, offering the flexibilty of cloth but the protection of Kevlar.

the Arkham Asylum suit is perfect. When I think of Batman I think of Arkham Asylum.

Dark Knight Returns-esque design with slightly accented muscles like Cavill's Superman costume. Not the same texture or material though.

I want to see a slightly darker version of the Earth One costume without the extra circle around the oval.

Batman_Earth-One_Batman.jpeg

Personally, I would like to see this in a movie:
IMG_0017.jpg

And to have it take place in the 40's (although I realize THAT will never happen, but I still think it's a good idea)

Oh God yes. This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"