The Costume

Oh man. I love this bit.

gl-rebirth-6-of-6-08.jpg

gl-rebirth-6-of-6-09.jpg

I really like this. It is interesting how their personalities and occupations (Stewart being an architect, Rayner being an artist) make their constructs more unique.

It's gotta be practical. I thought a CG suit was a cool idea back before the Reynolds movie hit, just due to the nature of being a construct of the ring, but the execution just didn't do it for me, and the more I watch MOS, I think I feel the same way about the battle armor in that film. Just save whatever money would go into making that kind of stuff and put it elsewhere. If anything, I think CG should be used to accent the suit, rather than be the whole of it.

It's gotta be practical. I thought a CG suit was a cool idea back before the Reynolds movie hit, just due to the nature of being a construct of the ring, but the execution just didn't do it for me, and the more I watch MOS, I think I feel the same way about the battle armor in that film. Just save whatever money would go into making that kind of stuff and put it elsewhere. If anything, I think CG should be used to accent the suit, rather than be the whole of it.

I agree with this all the way. I think that if they took the body suit from MOS and added the mo cap to it, it would look fantastic! The Reynolds design was not bad, it just didnt give him that buff, superhero look. Accent a padded suit like the MOS suit WITH THE CGI!! Then it would look awesome!

I agree with this all the way. I think that if they took the body suit from MOS and added the mo cap to it, it would look fantastic! The Reynolds design was not bad, it just didnt give him that buff, superhero look. Accent a padded suit like the MOS suit WITH THE CGI!! Then it would look awesome!

The CGI suit honestly wasn't the problem. It was the CGI mask that ruined it. The thing had ZERO definition. There was no weight to it, and the white eyes...while it may have seemed like a good idea, didn't work in any way, shape, or form. I've always wanted to see what a mask would look like with white lenses similar to what is in Daredevil's mask just white instead of red. It may not work, but I wanna see how it would come off.

I really like this. It is interesting how their personalities and occupations (Stewart being an architect, Rayner being an artist) make their constructs more unique.

Should that also reflect their costumes? (non cgi)

I would like to see actual clothing rather than tights for the Lanterns for a change. I mean like Star Wars or Star Trek. Have Guy Gardener wear an actual jacket and pants. With the normal suits or whatever they choose to wear having the logo on it. It would be a drastic of a change but I wouldn't mind it.

guy_gardner_redesign_wip_by_unded-d6l0psz.jpg

40a9cced2c9d4efbe1855a8e962872d3.jpg

greenlantern1.jpg

Definitely no CGI this time. When I saw the suit last time that was my first clue things weren't working out.

I reckon look to Mass Effect for ideas of how it should all look

GL-rooftop.jpg

Practical or otherwise, it's still going to be enhanced in post.

Civilian:

12508907_706256352842995_1740645598855622339_n.jpg

GL:

3256577-1920x1200_green-lantern-key_01_slim.png

I don't mind "classic" looking Hal, just change the mask and the gloves a bit.

Last edited:
So you want all CG again? Because it worked so well last time?
Indeed. It was one of the few highlights of the movie. The suits were amazing. I'm all for it.
I agree with C.Lee, it should look like it's the same designer than for Batman and Superman. This is also another reason. The GL's suit from the film looked alien to me, like no human mind made it. I think it's the goal of it all.

While this is a nice idea on its own:

greenlantern_tl_by_tloessy-d64lomg.gif

There are two reasons why I wouldn't go for this approach of black physical suit with green parts being created by the ring: first, while it might look nice here, it would be too hard on the eyes watching this on actual actors through the entire film. And second, I'd change the way the constructs look entirely.

Regarding the suit - I think we can all agree that considering how GL uniform usually looks, there is no way that it could be made out of that same green energy, so if willing to give him an actual black undersuit, why not go all for it, ditch the idea of ring supplying him with it and make the entire suit physical. A proper space uniform. Preferably, something like this:

277511-86640-kyle-rayner.jpg

With "domino mask" being visors meant to protect their eyes when they're too close to the sun, akin to this:

sentry_interface.jpg

kai.png

Regarding the constructs - this might sound blasphemous to most GL fans, but constructs in live-action look silly as hell. I remember some people expressing their desire to abandon the idea of constructs completely, but even though I always found it to be too out there, I kinda liked that idea of controlling and shaping this energy through the power of will. And there is no reason for them to be ditched at all, I'd simply not have them appear as if they're being made out of a green glass. Not just that it makes those constructs look cartoonish, but also doesn't make sense for an energy-based weapon the ring is supposed to be to create a firm, glass-like object like that.

So, I think it is much more fitting to go for green plasma:

[YT]QaBWE7YDZLE[/YT]

And make constructs gradually take shape out of this plasma mass, similarly to patronus from "Harry Potter" franchise:

giphy.gif

Same aesthetic would work for protective aura around Lanterns or defensive shields:

expecto-patronum.gif

And it would make it more interesting to be able to watch as those constructs take form from the energy of the ring or even wither as GL struggles to concentrate.

Also, considering that "Harry Potter" franchise belongs to WB anyway, it's not like they're stealing the idea, the worst they can be accused of is self-plagiarism and no one actually cares about that. "Black Sabbath" did so with their latest album and everyone agrees it is the best album they released in last forty years, author of this post included. :oldrazz:
Constructs can definitely look a bit silly.
They can work though
I don't think anybody saw the magic shields and whatnot in doctor strange as silly.
9066eec819988935cdbc9e0c7c20bb61.gif

IMO all they need to do is avoid the more ridiculous objects(gatling guns,hockey sticks, and cars)
Keep them simple and vague in shape.
I think them looking more chaotic and unstable would make them less cartoony.
4.jpg

something like this.
Green_Lantern_fist.jpg

less like this

For the costume I'd want them to completely ditch the idea of it coming from the ring.
That just doesn't work honestly.
Keep it practical.
Make it some sort of alien organic material that forms around his body.
Like a symbiote.
Practical suit though.

Practical suit, at most have the green parts glow when he's actually using his powers but that's it. The CGI is unnecessary for the suit, save that for his constructs, the suit doesn't need it.

It's amazing how Dc has sat on these characters and failed to deliver successful box office.

i mean, looking at Dr Strange - that's just a wizard looking Green Lantern. GotG - more GL universal characters. A talking racoon and tree... c'mon.

Captain America - superman.
Tony Stark - Bruce Wayne.
Thor - Martian Manhunter, even Aqua man.
Quicksilver - flash
Black Widow - cart woman... agh man it's just annoying.

Well...that's random. Pics of Yalan Gur anybody?

It's amazing how Dc has sat on these characters and failed to deliver successful box office.

i mean, looking at Dr Strange - that's just a wizard looking Green Lantern. GotG - more GL universal characters. A talking racoon and tree... c'mon.

Captain America - superman.
Tony Stark - Bruce Wayne.
Thor - Martian Manhunter, even Aqua man.
Quicksilver - flash
Black Widow - cart woman... agh man it's just annoying.

WB can't get the freaking Justice League right, but you wonder why they can't get someone like Green Lantern right.

For the costume I'd want them to completely ditch the idea of it coming from the ring.
That just doesn't work honestly.
Keep it practical.
Make it some sort of alien organic material that forms around his body.
Like a symbiote.
Practical suit though.

Where do think the organic material would come from and be stored.

Where do think the organic material would come from and be stored.
It COULD actually come from the ring.
Just not as a construct.
It can just be stored in it somewhere and creep out over his body like a symbiote.

Or some other containment can be invented for the movie.

I cop is givin a gun and a uniform:o

Last edited:
The CGI suit honestly wasn't the problem. It was the CGI mask that ruined it. The thing had ZERO definition. There was no weight to it, and the white eyes...while it may have seemed like a good idea, didn't work in any way, shape, or form. I've always wanted to see what a mask would look like with white lenses similar to what is in Daredevil's mask just white instead of red. It may not work, but I wanna see how it would come off.
Oh yeah a REAL mask. Just cut the front off of Batman’s mask with the nose and paint it green and there you go. BTW his eyes should illuminate with green energy.

I'm all for CGI suit. Like someone pointed out here earlier, I liked the CGI idea but maybe something was off somehow in the first GL movie. So maybe the practical suit enhanced with CGI wouldbe the key. I still think CGI would work.
The idea behind Spider-man suit lately has been fine too.

1000008873.jpg

Sounds like it will be practical suit. Makes sense for it to be enhanced with CGI.

Hopefully the TV series "Lanterns" will do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"