If i could make a sticky about Smallville, it would go something like this:

Criticism should be based on what's presented, and not judged from how far it veers from some personal vision of what the "true" Superman tale is supposed to be. It's an impossible standard for any show to cater to each individual viewers vision.

I agree with this in the case of Smallville, but when it comes to adaptations of direct work, this would not apply.

You didn't address the part of my sentence that you cut off.

Hate it or Love it for what it actually is, and not for what you think it should be.
I guess I should have taken it further.

...but it's another to suggest that people shouldn't find fault with the way(s) it goes about being different.

I suppose, though, I took your statement as being along the lines of "don't criticize," because that's how the wording brings the message across to me.

"...not what you think it should be..."

That idea alone sounds so limiting and stagnant. If we don't like the way the show is going, for whatever reason, we should just...what? Keep it to ourselves? Only certain types of *****ing are allowed?

"...own personal Superman show..."

Isn't that what any fan really hopes for? They're own personal whatever? Television show...film...?

I'm not saying "don't hate it" or even don't criticize it, but to ***** and moan because the show isn't the show that you personally (generic 'you') wants to see is unreasonable. It is what it is. Criticism should be based on what's presented, and not judged from how far it veers from some personal vision of what the "true" Superman tale is supposed to be. It's an impossible standard for any show to cater to each individual viewers vision.

Hate the show because you think it's a shoddy production, or the actors suck, or the plots are contrived.. but not because you aren't getting your own personal Superman show.

That idea alone sounds so limiting and stagnant. If we don't like the way the show is going, for whatever reason, we should just...what? Keep it to ourselves? Only certain types of *****ing are allowed?
Allowed by whom? Unless they forgot to send me the notice, I'm still not the boss. ;)
But I do have my own level of what I think is reasonable criticism and what I think is unwarranted whining. I'm just expressing my own opinion here - my personal sticky about SV, as the thread titles calls for.

"...own personal Superman show..."

Isn't that what any fan really hopes for? They're own personal whatever? Television show...film...?

Of course they do, we all do. However wanting something, and expecting something, are two very different things.
I don't think it's fair to blame the show for not fulfilling personal requests.
But of course, you're certainly allowed to do so.

Oh, I'm not for blaming either. I just don't think all criticisms that are outside of the categories you listed are necessarily as bad as you make them sound.

Of course, you may very well be a bigger fan of the show than I, and, therefore, much more protective. I understand, I'd get irritated, maybe even pissed, if I had to read so much negative, whiney, complainy stuff about a television show or film that I loved that didn't fulfill everybody's anticipatory hopes and dreams.

Oh wait...I have. ;)

Oh, I'm not for blaming either. I just don't think all criticisms that are outside of the categories you listed are necessarily as bad as you make them sound.
That's reasonable. I don't expect you to.

Of course, you may very well be a bigger fan of the show than I, and, therefore, much more protective. I understand, I'd get irritated, maybe even pissed, if I had to read so much negative, whiney, complainy stuff about a television show or film that I loved that didn't fulfill everybody's anticipatory hopes and dreams.

Oh wait...I have. ;)
We could split hairs with that particular conversation all day. But I'd rather not.

It's one thing to understand a show or film as trying to be different, fresh, whatever you want to call it, but it's another to suggest that people shouldn't find fault with the way(s) it goes about being different.
Criticism should be based on what's presented, and not judged from how far it veers from some personal vision of what the "true" Superman tale is supposed to be.
[Checks forum]

Hmmm. Still in SV. Interesting.
ponder.gif

What? I don't get it...? More hints please? :p ;)

It's mad crazy, isn't it, how some arguments work in BOTH fields??

neo_whoa_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"