If you could reboot Smallville...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting topic.

First and foremost I'd have a clear game plan/trajectory for the series, particularly how long it needs to run and where we'd leave each of the major players and how it would bridge into the Superman mythos.

The series would run for 5 seasons max.

The main problem with Smallville was how long and drawn out they made it, also the reluctant hero routine grew stale after a while. They had to artificially ****** his progress to justify the lack of forward momentum to the series. A shorter run ie 5 seasons would eliminate all of that, allow him to make organic process and also allow him to gain flight in the final season since he was only gaining one power a season anyway.

They did such an awesome job on Lex and Clark's relationship in early seasons i'd keep that intact. The main premise as in the early seasons would be how these two grow apart and set on their separate paths.

Season one would feature a well-liked sports star Clark Kent on several varsity teams. In the events of the first episode his powers would start to emerge (he's been functioning at peak human performance but nothing drastic yet). He'd maybe injure someone playing football or wrestling. Later (like in the pilot to the animated series) he'd save a family from a fire or something discovering he was invulnerable or like in pilot of Smallville save lex after he runs into him.

So you'd see this huge shift from the popular Bryne era Clark Kent to the much more withdrawn introspective Clark who becomes keenly interested in his heritage and his emerging abilities. I'd like to downplay the angst (some is appropriate) and play up the fascination he'd have with what he can do. I'd also have either Pete or Lana or both find out early on with his parents unaware that they know. Maybe the cliffhanger for season one where he rescues Lana would lead her to knowing his secret etc.
I’d keep the younger parents. That was a great idea. And Lionel Luthor is perhaps the greatest contribution the Superman mythos from Smallville.

"Destiny" would be down played. Ultimately each of their paths is all about choice not destiny. "Destiny" was the most overused word in that series and should be removed.

Also I'd change the chloe/lana dynamic. Chloe essentially filled the role that young lana should play in the Superman mythos, making Lana redundant and only suitable for the "first love" type role. Once that wore thin there was no where else to go so they kept inventing ridiculous plot after ridiculous plot to justify her staying on the series, it was a catch 22. If we had the same cast I'd simply rewrite Chloe as Lana and cast Allison Mack. She'd be Lana but function as Chloe did. Clark could have a variety of Love interests in the show until he and Chloe/lana fall for each other but for whatever reason it doesn't work out towards the end of the series. Also I’d have a better Pete more along the lines of how Oliver and Clark became close friends at the end of Smallville.

I also like the Kawatchee caves and the early versions of Kryptonian tech. those elements were later dropped in favor of similarities to the Donner films. I'd sever all connections to the donner film and play up an original vision of krypton. But that wouldn't come into play until the fifth season. I actually liked how he had to assemble the pieces of the crystal that were scattered around the world. So in the fifth season (after we've seen clark pretty much in smallville during the first four years) he would go on some global adventures discovering artifacts and finally assembling the crystal and creating (a very different looking ) fortress. Also no stupid witch subplpot. I do think it would be interesting if he was racing against lex who was racing against Lionel to find the stones.

While i never liked "meteor freaks" they did give him a credible threat. I would instead do something along the lines of Lionel funding Cadmus labs who's performing experiments on humans using meteor rocks among other things etc. They would be the huge source of conflict with clark during the series. They are more shadowy/mysterious (think men in black or Horned Rimmed Glasses from Heroes and the Company). Clark wouldn’t discover the connection between Lionel and the Company until later on, perhaps only after Lex has discovered the same connection.

And another element I liked in Smallville was his early interaction with some of the DC characters like Impluse, Cyborg, and Aquaman. I'd keep things like that in play showing how clark inspires these guys to acts of heroism (in the 5th final season) but would avoid any fully formed heroes in costume. That would be avoided at all costs!!!

In high school I would have his interests in researching himself bleed over into researching other things leading to his working for the paper and ultimate his becoming a journalist. I'd also play up how genuiely decent of a person he is in that if he comes across and injustice he's focused on righting the wrong, hence a little golden age Superman in there. He'd also secretly use his powers do help out. That would lead to a diverse set of stories, some featuring superpowered threats, some featuring he and lana investigating something going on, and stories simply about clark, his emerging powers and discovering who he is.

Another element I’d play up is the use of extraterrestrials. One character who was criminally underuse d was John Jones. I really like there take on him. He would been a great mentor to Clark. And anticipated having him and Clark work together to round up those phantom zone escapees in season 6 but it never materialized. I would definitely use something along those lines in season 5 while Clark is traveling the work finding Kryptonian artifacts he stumbles upon an alien bounty hunter trying to recapture some dangerous criminals. Clark and he have to team up to take these folks down. I’d play homage to classic DC aliens maybe.
All in all I’d try to have a very “tight” tv series with a clear beginning, middle and end in mind. I’d probably end with him creating/discovering the fortress of Solitude. You’d finally get to see remants of krypton and a very scifi inspired fortress. Jor-el would be a holographic projection like Rommie from Andromeda. The last episode would flash forward 5 years to his first public appearance, we’d see Lex and his current position and maybe see the first appearance of the DP. Something like that.

Chloe could be more of a friend and school reporter than damsel in distress/ love interest, i liked how she was like a young Lois Lane during the begining of the show

The main problem with Smallville was how long and drawn out they made it, also the reluctant hero routine grew stale after a while. They had to artificially ****** his progress to justify the lack of forward momentum to the series. A shorter run ie 5 seasons would eliminate all of that, allow him to make organic process and also allow him to gain flight in the final season since he was only gaining one power a season anyway.

I think they easily could have lasted 10 seasons without ******ing Clark if they got rid of all Clark High School friends at the end of Season 4 then have him move on to College and meet and deal with new people. I think the main problem was in order to keep characters who no longer were needed in Season 5 relevant, Clark suffered in the process.

Chloe could be more of a friend and school reporter than damsel in distress/ love interest, i liked how she was like a young Lois Lane during the begining of the show

I always thought Chloe had more Lana Lang(both modern and silver age) traits then Lois Lane. Both characters (comic Lana and Chloe) were sort of Lois Lane prototypes but it didn't really make them Lois Lane

I too wish they did get rid of some of his friends after highschool yrs. Maybe have kept one or two like chloe or pete. They should have had him complete collage, maybe took some journalism classes which could have lead him to getting into the dp more naturally and sooner.

Smallville as a cool show all on its own. As the show progressed, it went in a lot of the directions that I was hoping for, and did a lot of cool things that I never would have thought of. That said, there were a few things I would have done differently, so I'll lay then out here.

When Clark broke up with Lana in Season 5, that would have been it. Lana could remain in the story, but from then on, their lives would have taken completely separate tracks. The show is called Smallville, not Clark-n-Lana-ville. That would leave Clark free to pursue the hero track without being held down by the wrong girl.

After Lex destroyed himself in his attempt to bring down Clark and his fortress, he would have lost all contact with his former life, his fortune, Luthercorp, and with the few who supported him, eventually being declared dead. Everyone would have forgotten about him. But although he would have been dead to the world, Lex would have been barely alive and recuperating in a little hospital somewhere in northern Canada. To those who were caring for him, he would be a complete stranger, penniless, and dependent on their mercy. As soon as Lex was well enough, he would move on, but not before robbing the hospital and its parent charitable organization out of all of its money. Unfortunately, Rosenbaum left the show after season seven so a story like this wouldn't have been possible.

I would have done a lot more with the Toyman, that big fat intense guy in his sweaty leather outfit, with his pervy fetish for toys. Chris Gauthier was a riot. Give him a movie!

Having said that, Smallville did a lot of things I really liked, within contexts that I didn't entirely agree with. Such is life.

I'm really looking forward to what Al Gough and Miles Milar will do with the new TV version of Charlie's Angels. Erica Durance is slated to guest star in one episode. Looking forward to that.

Don't know if this is a good idea for a thread or if it already exists, but, let's say you rewound the clock back to the beginning, or were given the chance to reboot Smallville, starting now, how would you do it?

Let's assume the basic premise: the early years of Clark Kent.

What aspects from the show would you change, if any, or do you think they pretty much got it right? How many seasons would you map out for it?

Would it still begin with HS? How soon would Clark learn about his heritage?

Would he be more enthusiastic about journalism in HS? Less conflicted about his abilities?

What supporting characters would you keep, and what new ones would you bring on? Would their roles be major/minor? Recurring or guest-stars?

Would Clark go to Met U full-time after HS?

Would you have Lois on the show, or would just refer to her (perhaps an over-achieving journalism student at Met U mentions wanting to be the next "Lois Lane", a recent grad made good at the DP).

What about Lex? Would he be around in Smallville, or just a looming threat on the horizon, mentioned but often unseen? Would Lionel instead by the main Luthor presence with Lex under mentor-ship in Metropolis?

What villains would you introduce, and how soon? Heroes?

How would you end it? Would Clark actually graduate Met U and transition right into Superman, perhaps making an unexpected public save (where he at last meets Lois), or does he still need an intermediate persona?

Last edited:
Main thing I would change is with Lois and Chloe
1. Chloe wouldn't be so pathetic and vindictive when it came to Clark and Lana (i.e. selling Clark out to Lionel) and she would have a love interest long before S6!

2. *Lois would appear in S4 and stay for the 4 episodes AND DISAPPEAR AND NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN:cmad::doh: until S7 or S8 when she shows up working at the Daily Planet. Clark is attracted to her but he is with Lana and keeps his feelings to himself. The more time they spend together the more Clark likes Lois, while Lois is oblivious to his dilemma. Then in S8 Clark starts working at the DP and starts to like Lois even more but the relationship is halted by Lana's return and then her departure. Lois is not pathetic, easy, or so willing to please with Clark after Lana leaves again, telling Clark that he made his decision (it was Lana) and anything that might have happened has forever been squashed. Clark is upset but mildly accepting (for now). Everything that happened with Doomsday and S9 stays the same. Clark and Lois do not get engaged in S10.
3. Another thing I would reboot is that Clark moves off the farm a few seasons before season 10, good gawd there has to be other apartments in Smallville except the Talon!
4. And finally, for now at least, Lex and Clark wouldn't become enemies because of Lana.

ADDITION
Oliver would not be a supporting player, especially after season 8!

And I will probably have some additions, there are just a lot of things I would change about the show, especially how characters came across.

Last edited:
have clear geographic boundaries. DC comics' editors hedge on this, but I'd have Smallville clearly in Kansas, and Metropolis would clearly be in Delaware. Other DC Cities would be in specific states.

Start in middle school, 8th grade, have characters like Lana, Pete, Ken Braverman, etc.
Create lots of new threats but de-emphasize kryptonite-villains, though it can have a presence.

Lex would only be a recurring character. He'd already be in college, looking after his dad's agribusiness interests in Smallville.. Eventually the 'hair-accident' would happen.

Jor-El is not a disembodied d***. Return him to some sense of honor.

..By the last season of the series, senior year in high school, Clark can get glasses.

3 Seasons in High school
2 Seasons of self discovering, traveling the world and go to Metropolis University to study journalism.
While as a teenager he would be unsure like in the original show he should grow to become more light hearted like superman is suposed to be.
Kenny Braveman as one of his friends/ rival in high school
Make season 2 very about Red K and Clark's personality: Kal
Make the world of the show bigger, in the early seasons it seemed like the real world but by later seasons, expecially seasons 8-10 their world seems more like if if it was inside a bottle.
Don't make the Toyman so cartoony, i really hated episode 20 of the last season because he acted like a child trying to be Heath Ledger's Joker.
Season 6-7 should be the final steps of both Clark and Lex becoming the hero and villain we like so much, then lead to a movie.
For threats i think that the writers could take some ideas from the golden age Superboy stories.

I would still begin with High School, although I believe I'd work in some angle about a reporter having more information sources, as well as flexibility on the job to be away from the office to allow it to shift into his full career later on.

College does make sense, an alternative would be learning at the Fortress.

Recurring characters are a must, it builds a tie with the audience. Having said that, guest stars would occur many/most episodes as well.

Lois would not be part of the show until perhaps college, or perhaps after he started at the Planet.

To me, Lex ought to have been much more of a brilliant inventor, and not simply a businessman. He certainly could have been a recurring guest star - but not a central part of the story.

Heroes could make appearances as well. It's unfortunate that so many of the big names in comics are bound by different corporations and can't be used in this medium together.

Personally, I'd transition the show into full Superman status after a while. I'm a fan of ongoing storylines, though.

Oh, i forgot, i would keep the early lex and clark relations ship from the original tv show intact but Lois would only appear when clark went to work on the daily planet as a kind of rival, similar to the comics

Ok I'm liking this thread.

1. I would have called the show Clark Kent keeping it in Smallville, Clark would be starting out as freshman with some of his powers coming in at first season. Running, super strong, x ray vision. No Lex Luthor yet some other major villain for him to fight against.

2. Second season I would have Clark getting very cocky with his powers Lana and Peter find out later in the second season about his gifts. Butts head with his dad on the uses of his powers. Meets another major villain for the second series defeats him it almost kills Clark doing it.

3. Third season Jonathan Kent has a heart attack that leaves Clark wondering if he can do more with his powers. Lionel Luthor comes in to the scene buying up farm land in Smallville, Jonathan decides not to give in. Lex comes in from college to run the Smallville LuthorCorp research division. Lionel becomes Clark new enemy from the underhand dealing in the town.

4. Fourth season Clark after a trip to the Daily Star and the Daily Planet decide to take up the school newspaper even getting a small gig at the Daily Star. New power heat vision learns he is a solar battery still dealing with LuthorCorp dirty dealing. Graduate from Smallville High with Pete and Lana.

5. Fifth season rise of the metahumans, Clark in college with Perry White's nephew (Superboy fans) Lex starts his fall to the darkside and rumors of a urban creature in Gotham. Jonathan has another heart attack passes away Clark starts to look towards his future.

6. Sixth season Clark leaves school for some soul searching helping people and writing a journal along the way. Learn to put other above a himself, dealing with gangs, warlords, crook leaders, etc. Lex kills his father taking over LuthorCorp rename it Lexcorp.

7. Last season Clark finishes college returns to Smallville decides to be become a reporter with the help of his college roommate gets an interview with the great Perry White. He teamed up with Lois Lane getting to know the city taking on Intergang. In the end with the help of Martha Kent he becomes Superman does the smile for the viewers.

I think that the main villain in season 2 should allways be Kal, clark's personality when under the effect of the red kryptonite.
Another thing, keep Morgan Edge longuer and not killing him

I think that the main villain in season 2 should allways be Kal, clark's personality when under the effect of the red kryptonite.
Another thing, keep Morgan Edge longuer and not killing him

Agreed! on the Morgan Edge:o

Morgan Edge should have been the villain for the entirety of season 3.

He was still the main villain of season 3, for the first half, then Lionel toke over

In season 2 Clark as a teen wanted to do many things he wanted but couldn't because of his secret, Kal was the embodiment of that, another reason why the smallville wikia put him as the big bad of season 2

In season 2 Clark as a teen wanted to do many things he wanted but couldn't because of his secret, Kal was the embodiment of that, another reason why the smallville wikia put him as the big bad of season 2

See to me Clark from Superman TAS was a cocky sob with his power...so you didn't need to invent Kal. Any teenage with that power would be an a-hole in real life.

How about not making Kryptonians villains. It seems that the only "good Kryptonians" are Clark and Kara, all the other's who land on Earth are cold blooded killers. There really was no need for that.

2 Seasons of self discovering, traveling the world

I see people mention this but in all honesty traveling the world would be a budget nightmare, so I can see why they didn't do that

It dpends, traveling the world could ismply be traveling the country, supernatural does that.
Another thing is, making bizarro and the phamtom bizarro from smallville 2 different characters, the phantom can possess people while bizarro is just a clone created by luthor corp.
Remember that little girl that was a clone of a friend of Lana's that died when they were children?
I tought that she was a kind of foreshadowing of Bizarro, and i think it should have been

I would have done a lot of things differently, even though I think Smallville did the best it could with what it had, I would have enjoyed it better and watched it more often with a few changes.

Overall:
- Start the kids younger. Let's see them grow up, instead of just grow facial hair. Cast Clark, Pete, Chloe and Lana at around 18, and write them as 14-15. By the time season 5 comes around, we've seen these kids grow up and fill out and it gives every narrative more weight.
- Make the procedural elements stronger, which means giving each of the 'team' a specific role. Chloe is the geeky nerdy research, Pete is the smooth talking persuasive one (as opposed to useless token) and Clark is the muscle and gopher. Pa Kent is the unwilling tech support and Ma Kent is the team mom. The other kids don't know about Clark's powers, and Clark doesn't know where he's from at first.
- If you're going to copy Spider-Man in casting, ie adding a young blonde geek for a love triangle, giving him an evil best friend's dad, then follow that out. Chloe and Lana should have been 'even' from season 1 going forward. They are the Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane respectively, except Lana isn't really permanent.
- Don't go straight to Kryptonite powered freaks. Let LuthorCorp have some Kryptonite devices it develops at its Smallville plant, and then end season 1 in a sort of 'bang baby' thing that gives powers to a notable group of people.
- Develop a different power every year, and explore it thoroughly. Stick with Super Strength and Durability in year one. Leave off the super speed for a while, let Superman earn his stripes, and his powers, and when a new power comes up, exploit it thoroughly narratively and technically, so we don't have any "why didn't he just freeze breath" discussions. Also cuts back on needing shady one line explanations for not using things we've seen before.
- Each arc, Clark has a different thing he learns and he grows as a character. When the moping thing comes up, a year later, its resolved. He still might have melancholy moments, but it can't be the defining characteristic of his character indefinitely.
- Give every season a different big bad, as they have, with Lex constantly developing in the background, as they did.
- Pa Kent would die earlier, say Season 5 or 6.
- Kara would arrive as the sort of 'second generation of Smallville' also cast young, she'd live with Ma Kent on the farm once Clark leaves. She'd have her own mini-cast and that's how we'd see the Smallville team as she's mentored by whoever's left alive (likely just Lana).
- Three years of high school procedural, then 'shake everything up' and slowly bring the original team back but in new and fresh ways (basically, do things like House MD did). So instead of a senior year, Clark would be out of school due to some crisis (Harry Potter style) that perhaps features the Kryptonians and the Phantom Zone. He can get his GED, he'll be fine. He does his world traveling thing and meets Army Brat and junior reporter Lois Lane that reminds him of Chloe, but they need not be related. His new procedural team would probably be Lois and Green Arrow or similar. After the 'year off' he can start college, perhaps at Metropolis University. Two years there, a year as a Daily Planet Photographer, finally being promoted to writer, taking us to Season 10 where he he'd actually be Superman, and it'd be a superhero procedural, bring on his villains, the whole shebang. All along, the show is a procedural, with a different 'case' in each episode solved by Clark and whoever his allies are at the time.

In short, if season 1 started like it was supposed to run for ten years, it would have felt more natural to run for ten years, and less frustrating to see it continue to circle on itself.

During the first season the kids were 14-15 years old, and Pa Kent did die in season 5.
One thing that i think they should change is the super speed, make him fast but not invisible

If I could reboot Smallville, I would have shortened the seasons down to just 4, 5, or 6.

I felt alot of the "problem" storylines, characterizations, etc., came about because they simply dragged the thing on for so long. and as they dragged it on and on, the show seemed to deviate from its original premise.

IOW......I'd cut out the padding, condense the story down to the essentials, and just focus on how young Clark Kent discovers his powers and grows to become Superman in just 4, 5, or 6 seasons, instead of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"