If Marvel Gets the Fantastic Four Rights Back:

The Ultimate Nullifier seems like such a big cop out. It will fizzle out all the movies leading up to and including Infinity War

I'm torn. But I'm definitely leaning more towards the 60s setting, gives us something we've never seen before without making dramatic changes to the first family. (*Cough Homecoming*) But I'd want them in the present after the first movie. FF could fill that hole that will need filling after Infinity War. Plus I'd like to see Johnny & Peter, Thing & Hulk, Stark being outsmarted by Richards, Doom vs the Avengers. They'd have to time travel to the present

I'd love to see those crossovers as well, but they may be difficult to pull off even if we get a modern day FF. Sony would have to sign off on a crossover involving Johnny and Peter, and we don't know if the Sony/Marvel contract will be renewed after the Spidey sequel. Thor may have replaced Ben as Bruce's punching buddy, and we don't know what the status of either of the two founding Avengers will be after 2019. And it wouldn't surprise me if RDJ's Stark is either retired or dead by the time we get an FF reboot in the MCU.

A Thing / Hulk battle at some point seems almost a necessity.

I wanna see a Stark/Doom standoff but RDJ will be gone before it happen. DAMN YOU FOX :argh:

Current time for five reasons

1. Hulk vs Thing
2. Dr Doom in current time, Iron Man vs Dr Doom
3. Galactus in current time, the heroes once again band together to take on someone more powerful than Thanos
4. Hulk vs Thing
5. Hulk vs Thing

Honorable mention:
Hulk vs Thing

Either introduce them in another MCU movie or give them an origin story set in the '60s and take them to the modern world somehow.

I've been thinking about this topic all week and I've come to the conclusion that the Fantastic Four 100% NEED to be active time travelers because, especially after seeing Guardians 2 and in anticipation of Ragnorok and Infinity War...what else could make them distinct from The Avengers and Guardians as a team to the general audience?

Earth has been claimed. Space has been claimed. We've seen a lot of aliens. We've seen AI. But one sci-fi concept has only been seen once so far in the MCU and that's time travel (Doctor Strange.)

Like I said earlier, from a character and story standpoint it would be very convenient to have them come from the 60s. The "lost in time" aspect will bind them as a group, and would also explain their retrofuturistic bent from a visual angle. Certain things about all their relationships were also much more typical in that time than now. So yes, I think they all should have at least grown up in the 40s/50s/60s before traveling to the MCU proper.

Has anyone seen Rick and Morty?

One thing they do really, really well is time travel in a multiverse. The setup would be as easy as having Reed and Victor discover time travel together. From then on, Victor tries to use it for "the greater good" and Reed finds ways to course correct. You could make an entire library of stories from that very simple idea. Leave the audience guessing if this time they'll see the FF with the dinosaurs or 1602 or 2099 in the next film. Whatever it is, it should all be about exploring alternate realities and different times in history.

I agree, and I am all in with Reed Richards as a less drooly version of Rick Sanchez, the smartest mammal in the universe.

I've been thinking about this topic all week and I've come to the conclusion that the Fantastic Four 100% NEED to be active time travelers because, especially after seeing Guardians 2 and in anticipation of Ragnorok and Infinity War...what else could make them distinct from The Avengers and Guardians as a team to the general audience?

Earth has been claimed. Space has been claimed. We've seen a lot of aliens. We've seen AI. But one sci-fi concept has only been seen once so far in the MCU and that's time travel (Doctor Strange.)

Like I said earlier, from a character and story standpoint it would be very convenient to have them come from the 60s. The "lost in time" aspect will bind them as a group, and would also explain their retrofuturistic bent from a visual angle. Certain things about all their relationships were also much more typical in that time than now. So yes, I think they all should have at least grown up in the 40s/50s/60s before traveling to the MCU proper.

Has anyone seen Rick and Morty?

One thing they do really, really well is time travel in a multiverse. The setup would be as easy as having Reed and Victor discover time travel together. From then on, Victor tries to use it for "the greater good" and Reed finds ways to course correct. You could make an entire library of stories from that very simple idea. Leave the audience guessing if this time they'll see the FF with the dinosaurs or 1602 or 2099 in the next film. Whatever it is, it should all be about exploring alternate realities and different times in history.

The first appearance ever by Dr. Doom (FF #5) was a time travel story, so it would be very fitting.

But personally, I'm not a fan of time-travel stories. Too many logistical problems.

Also if we want a faithful Doom I want him to go back in time to learn magic from Morgan le Fay.

Last edited:
Also if we want a faithful Doom I want him to go back in time to learn magic from Morgana le Fey.

That's why we need a film version of Iron Man #150.

And making Doom not just an FF villain (and the public probably have a negative perception of him after 3 FF films) but an Iron Man villain (and the public love Iron Man) would really elevate his status.

Plus Iron Man #150 is something they've never done before and would also be a change of pace for RDJ.

Also, in the Marvel universe it's Morgan Le Fay not Morgana, even though in some versions of King Arthur it is Morgana. Although I wouldn't be opposed to them calling her Morgana instead.

Cate Blanchett could easily have played her if she didn't play Hela. We'd need an actress of her stature for Morgan.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of time-travel stories. Too many logistical problems.
Weirdly enough, I'm not really either! At least, it hasn't really worked for me in film yet...

Regarding the idea of sending Iron Man back to the days on King Arthur, that's one of my favorite stories by Marvel and I'd love to see it. I think it would be neat to have the characters be Asgardians in disguise...King Arthur/Thor, Odin/Merlin, Lancelot/Loki. They could all be under the spell of Morgan le Faye/Amora the Enchantress.

That's why we need a film version of Iron Man #150.

And making Doom not just an FF villain (and the public probably have a negative perception of him after 3 FF films) but an Iron Man villain (and the public love Iron Man) would really elevate his status.

Plus Iron Man #150 is something they've never done before and would also be a change of pace for RDJ.

Also, in the Marvel universe it's Morgan Le Fay not Morgana, even though in some versions of King Arthur it is Morgana. Although I wouldn't be opposed to them calling her Morgana instead.

Cate Blanchett could easily have played her if she didn't play Hela. We'd need an actress of her stature for Morgan.

Helen Mirren played Morgana in Excalibur. That could be really cool casting except I'm not sure if an older Morgan(a) would work (would her magic keep her eternally young?)

Weirdly enough, I'm not really either! At least, it hasn't really worked for me in film yet...

Regarding the idea of sending Iron Man back to the days on King Arthur, that's one of my favorite stories by Marvel and I'd love to see it. I think it would be neat to have the characters be Asgardians in disguise...King Arthur/Thor, Odin/Merlin, Lancelot/Loki. They could all be under the spell of Morgan le Faye/Amora the Enchantress.

Nah. Don't make them Asgardians. If you want any other heroes in there, have heroes who have been associated with Camelot before like Black Knight and Captain Britain. In the really early stories when Captain Britain wore that lionheart costume, he and Black Knight seemed to be in some other time period which seemed to possibly be the time of King Arthur.

Helen Mirren played Morgana in Excalibur. That could be really cool casting except I'm not sure if an older Morgan(a) would work (would her magic keep her eternally young?)

I would rather have her younger, either the age of Cate Blanchett or younger than that. But not too young though. She needs that gravitas, so she can't just be someone in her 20s.

I would rather have her younger, either the age of Cate Blanchett or younger than that. But not too young though. She needs that gravitas, so she can't just be someone in her 20s.

We just need a time-machine so we can get a young Helen Mirren. :cwink:

The Ultimate Nullifier seems like such a big cop out. It will fizzle out all the movies leading up to and including Infinity War
It all comes down to presentation. What makes the Nullifier so iconic to me is the journey the Human Torch had to take to find it and his reaction to it. If they focus on those aspects, it will work. If they focus on what it does instead...it could still work. It's all presentation.
Have you ever seen Primer? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film) That's one of the few that worked for me because they treated the time-travel relatively logically without the contradictions and paradoxes we typically get stuck with.
Yes I have. They NEED to go the multi-verse/brancing timeline system like Primer or it's going to be a logical mess, I guarantee it.

Kang could also be used for more time/space travel. Or maybe they moved to a universe created by Franklin Richards. There are so many possibilities and Marvel is embracing their weirder stuff more and more as time passes. They would find a way to make them work in the established MCU.

Kang could also be used for more time/space travel. Or maybe they moved to a universe created by Franklin Richards. There are so many possibilities and Marvel is embracing their weirder stuff more and more as time passes. They would find a way to make them work in the established MCU.

We could find out that the MCU is actually the Heroes Reborn universe created by Franklin Richards after a huge, devastating battle with Onslaught, which the current heroes don't remember.

The reason the MCU hasn't heard of the FF all this time is because they are actually outside of this universe in the real world which existed before where the other MCU heroes used to be. Reed has been working with Franklin all this time to restore the real universe and combine them again.

So in the current season of Agents of SHIELD, it's actually a framework within a framework, because this Heroes Reborn/ MCU universe is effectively that.

While I'm not a fan of time travel, it's certainly a staple of the Marvel Comic Universe. So if they do intend to make the MCU as close as possible to the comic universe, at some point time-travel will be a regularly included element.

As the Universe grows and as characters age, there will be a point they simply can't maintain the kind of simple, linear reality they were able to maintain when they just had a few characters and films.

It's inevitable that at some point we'll have to accept some of the imperfections and apparent contradictions in the film world that we do in the comic world. And we're going to have to suspend disbelief more and more as we go.

I voted for 60's Setting. Like someone mentioned earlier, we've never gotten a good look at 60's MCU. Having Reed and co. live in that era is more intriguing to me.

If people want crossovers, just have the FF travel through time.

In the 60s but then have the time travel aspect come into play with them traveling forward in time into the future

what if instead of actually being from the 60's there from an alternate universe/dimension that has a retro futuristic vibe, like its set in modern time, with modern tech(or maybe even advance tech) but everything looks like the 60's, style wise... and then they cross over to our world

If they do a modern adaptation, set in the present day, do we want the FF to be teenagers, young adults, in their 30s, or older? The reason I ask is because the dynamics between Tony and Reed and Ben and Bruce as well as Peter Parker and Johnny will work much better if they are closer to their respective ages.

Picture this:
Dylan O'Brien as Johnny Storm flying alongside Tom Holland's Spidey would work very well.

Patrick Wilson as Reed Richards outsmarting RDJ's Tony would be even better.

They aren't as close in age, but:
Ruffalo's Banner having an awkward conversation in human form with Seth Rogen's Ben Grimm (this was a tough one to cast, I say keep Ben Grimm Jewish lol) also because of this pic:

actors-joel-edgerton-mark-ruffalo-michael-keaton-paul-dano-seth-rogen-picture-id502901382

Susan Storm is even harder to cast. Rosamund Pike or Alice Eve seem to be the best choices.

Doom - Fassbender/Nikolaj Coster Waldau

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"