Iron Man Iron Man Critic Reviews

I'm sure it's a pretty good film, but having it in the 90% range on rotten tomatoes seems a bit much. I suppose when you can either have a fresh or rotten rating the the flaw in the system for good but not great films like iron Man become apparent.

From what I am reading it is indeed a great film but not deserving of 90% and above (though I wouldn't want it to drop too much either)

I think a fairer reflection of the critics opinions is the average rating from critics shown as 7.4 which is more in line to how they recieve these kinds of films.

I'm sure it's a pretty good film, but having it in the 90% range on rotten tomatoes seems a bit much. I suppose when you can either have a fresh or rotten rating the the flaw in the system for good but not great films like iron Man become apparent.

But remember that RT is a totally different approach than something like MetaCritic.

By just weighing positive vs negative reviews, RottenTomatoes is really just scoring how universally appealing a movie is.

That 94% for Iron Man doesn't mean it is a "9 star film", just that, you know- some love it, some think it's above average, but nearly everyone recommends it.

Last time I looked, MetaCritic was at 81 for Iron Man, which is probably a better indicator of a film's overall greatness.

But remember that RT is a totally different approach than something like MetaCritic.

By just weighing positive vs negative reviews, RottenTomatoes is really just scoring how universally appealing a movie is.

That 94% for Iron Man doesn't mean it is a "9 star film", just that, you know- some love it, some think it's above average, but nearly everyone recommends it.

Last time I looked, MetaCritic was at 81 for Iron Man, which is probably a better indicator of a film's overall greatness.

gotta agree with this, I find metacritic a better indication of how good a film is

bar the 70 BB got there:o

True. Right now on RT, IM has a 7.4/10 average rating. It's currently tied with X2 and it's still trailing Spider-Man (7.6), BB (7.7) and Spider-Man 2 (8.2).

I'm glad Iron Man is getting positive reaction; seems like it will be as fun to watch as the trailers suggest.

But did anybody notice something incredibly fishy going on with the reviews? How many times has "Female Friday" been used to describe Gwenyth Paltrow as Pepper Potts? Is Friday from Robinson Crusoe that/I] similar to how Pepper assists Stark in the film that about 3 reviews used it? (I didn't count, but I know variety and a chicago tribune used it, and I swear I saw it used again in one other).

What's the deal? Critics borrowing lines and taking from the same page? Or did someone pay them off . . . *darty eyes*

But seriously, it seems like the more reviews I read about any new movie, the more peculiar similarites in language used at peculiarly similar times for similar points. Too peculiar.

95%!! 70 fresh only 4 rotten....7.5/10 average rating

Amazing!!

The consensus line on Rotten tomatoes is:Even non-comics fans can enjoy this smart, high impact, superhero movie.

But what do critics know and who cares about critics?

How many times has "Female Friday" been used to describe Gwenyth Paltrow as Pepper Potts? Is Friday from Robinson Crusoe that similar to how Pepper assists Stark in the film that about 3 reviews used it?

The term is a reference to "girl friday" as a description of a female servant or secretary. The term does come from "man Friday", from Robinson Crusoe, but "girl friday" is still in use, thanks to the classic 1940 Cary Grant film, "His Girl Friday".

Man, it's up to 95% approval of film critics at Rotten Tomatoes! :wow:

We may have a classic on our hands here people!

Heh. If Iron Man was getting bad reviews, this is what people would be saying.

Well even despite the 94% RT approval, I still feel that way. I go and judge a movie by my own standards.

I'm just saying that it is encouraging to know that IM is getting high marks by those who have seen it...critic or not.

I'm very surprised at all the praise this movie is getting.

Can't wait to see it.

Well even despite the 94% RT approval, I still feel that way. I go and judge a movie by my own standards.

I'm just saying that it is encouraging to know that IM is getting high marks by those who have seen it...critic or not.

I think it is important for Marvel to make a good movie that also received great reviews. Let's face it, Marvel's last several movies haven't been that terrific, critically or otherwise (SM3, FF2, GR, etc). So IM's warm reception from the critic's circle is a positive news.

I do too, but not everybody's like that. I enjoy it when I see that a film is highly rated, and I have my favourite critics (e.g., Ebert, whom I usually find myself agreeing with); it's a fun way to lead up to when I actually get to see the movie myself. Helps whet my appetite.

Secondly, for any given movie there's always a demographic of undecided potential viewers who will make their decision based on the reviews. This is the take-it-or-leave-it demographic who would be just as happy to ignore a movie if the critics are mauling it.

The best situation is if both fans and critics are onboard with the same movie. That just makes it a bigger hit - and if a movie is one of our personal faves or in a favourite genre, we want it to do well so more will be made, right?

High Praise from Tom Long of the Detroit News

-Robert Downey Jr. shines in dazzling 'Iron Man'

"Industrial-strength comic book moviemaking of the most entertaining order, Iron Man is darn near invincible fun, a perfect mix of high-tech dazzle and good old-fashioned charisma that's bound to leave audiences begging for more."

Video Blog:
http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=2211

Well when something is so unanimously praised like this...it simply cant be missleading

95%: 90 fresh and only 5 rotten...that's extremelly rare for any movie let alone a comic book one.

None of the 5 oscar nominated movies had more than 94%...now i'm not saying in the slightest that Iron Man is anywhere near NCFOM or TWBB but to find that a bigger number of critics approve IM over those movies is mind-blowing.

It's still early, we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves with the rating.

I think it´s a bit much too. I guess part of the reason is IM is the only superhero in the same age group as the majority of main film critics...

None of the 5 oscar nominated movies had more than 94%...now i'm not saying in the slightest that Iron Man is anywhere near NCFOM or TWBB bur to find that a bigger number of critics approve IM over those movies is mind-blowing.

I'll say it then, Iron Man is better then NCFOM. (I really hated that film)

I have been very interested to see what Richard Corliss (Time Magazine)thought of it- he's usually very much on point, IMO.

Well, guess what....

"The real treat is for grownups, who get a beguiling character study behind and above the special effects."

"Readers of movie reviews often think that critics hate the big Hollywood stuff and cherish only the little films about Romanian abortions or Iranian kids. But some of us, this one anyway, knows that there's an American style — best displayed in the big, smart, kid-friendly epic — that few other cinemas even aspire to, and none can touch. When it works, as it does here, it rekindles even a cynic's movie love. So cheers to Downey, Favreau and the Iron Man production company. They don't call it Marvel for nothing."

Simply...wow.

Well when something is so unanimously praised like this...it simply cant be missleading

95%: 90 fresh and only 5 rotten...that's extremelly rare for any movie let alone a comic book one.

None of the 5 oscar nominated movies had more than 94%...now i'm not saying in the slightest that Iron Man is anywhere near NCFOM or TWBB but to find that a bigger number of critics approve IM over those movies is mind-blowing.

I agree.. let's not belittle what Iron Man is doing here. While it may have a 7.5 average critic rating, the fact that it's at 95% shows that it has *broad appeal* to all those who are seeing it. That's good news for bringing in a large opening weekend.

It's still early, we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves with the rating.

To be fair,in the last 50-55 reviews that were posted only 1 was rotten...it's a pattern,i cant see this go lower than 92-93%.

I woudnt say it's early when there are 100 reviews in...when there were 30-35 being a little precocious woudnt have been bad,but now i think it's easy to say that this is very,very well accepted.

To be fair,in the last 50-55 reviews that were posted only 1 was rotten...it's a pattern,i cant see this go lower than 92-93%.

I woudnt say it's early when there are 100 reviews in...when there were 30-35 being a little precocious woudnt have been bad,but now i think it's easy to say that this is very,very well accepted.
Hmm. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"