Is Batman And Robin the worst comic book film ever made?

I actually like the idea of the hockey team from hell! It's a delightfully 'comic book' idea. Though like everything else in the film, it could have been executed a lot better. By which I mean, they could have tried to give it some dignity and not lean too much into the inherent campiness of it all lol.

Haha yeah. Also, I’m not saying I hate any of these things (well, maybe Bane). They’re all part of what makes this movie cheesy fun.

What do ya’ll think was the worst aspect of B&R?
  • Elliot Goldenthal's theme (I don't hate it as much as I used to, still not a fan)
  • A lot of purple (for years purple and pink made my condition more sever when I had a headache, not a nice memory to bring back)
  • The very detailed and shaped cups and pants for Barbra.... did the old man touch his niece in her sleep? Did she excuse him cause he's deathly ill? How did he manage to stand up?
  • Why can't the bike make that jump?

What do ya’ll think was the worst aspect of B&R?
Probably Alicia Silverstone. All the other stuff you mentioned is still bad, but at least I can find entertainment in Bane or Freeze's puns or the bat credit card. But every scene where it's Barbara on her own in the cave or talking to Dick is boring as hell. Silverstone is the only person in the movie who looks like she doesn't want to be there, which is absolutely stunning for a movie like this. Clooney and O'Donnell aren't that much better in this but at least they look like they're awake.

Last edited:
Fantastic honestly isn't as bad as most people say it is. Though it certainly isn't good. I thought the main characters were fine, well acted and had a reasonably interesting story which felt genuinely different without being bad. Unfortunately Doom himself (as in the post-powers version of him) was the single worst adaptation of a character I've ever seen and the entire movie after his return is basically just a bunch of people dying and sparks exploding with no actual story and it basically just limps to an incredibly boring ending.
I would agree with this assessment. Except that I thought the Cassandra Cain adaptation in BoP was worse.

Nah. That title belongs to Catwoman

You can at least some entertainment in B&R's absurdity

I would agree with this assessment. Except that I thought the Cassandra Cain adaptation in BoP was worse.

I liked her quite a lot as a character, honestly. But I've also never read a comic with that character in it, anyway, so she was just a totally new character for me. Given what I know about her comics history I honestly don't know why they even bothered calling her Cassandra Cain, though. A different name certainly wouldn't have made any difference to me and clearly would've helped a lot of other people enjoy the movie.

Unfortunately Doom himself (as in the post-powers version of him) was the single worst adaptation of a character I've ever seen and the entire movie

Galactus was turned to a silent cloud that just exploded without much thought. Here, I beat everyone else here in the worst adaption of a character on film.

:oldrazz:

• Elliot Goldenthal's theme (I don't hate it as much as I used to, still not a fan)
  • A lot of purple (for years purple and pink made my condition more sever when I had a headache, not a nice memory to bring back)
  • The very detailed and shaped cups and pants for Barbra.... did the old man touch his niece in her sleep? Did she excuse him cause he's deathly ill? How did he manage to stand up?
  • Why can't the bike make that jump?

Good God I never thought about how creepy it is that Alfred made that sexed up costume for his niece. Grossssssss

What do ya’ll think was the worst aspect of B&R? For my money, the worst elements were probably:

• Bane, just everything about him
  • Freeze’s ice puns
  • The Bat Credit Card (and the whole auction thing WTF)
  • Batgirl being Alfred’s granddaughter
  • The hockey team from hell!

Probably Bane. That's the one character whose mistreatment goes past funny to a little frustrating. Glad Nolan redeemed him for the big screen later on.

Batman & Robin is best enjoyed by children or drunk and/or stoned adults. It’s the prettiest and funniest Batman movie without a doubt. It also had the best merchandise of any of the 90s movies.

I like when Alfred says ‘I’ll cancel the pizzas…’ and cries

Kevin Smith’s commentary for this is 10/10 for those that hate or love the movie. I was 3 when this movie came out and the VHS was constantly on when I was a kid. It’s one of my favorite movies to this day.

Batman & Robin is best enjoyed by children
You know the saying; we're all children at heart. :oldrazz:

I'm occupied with other movies I want to watch, but I'll try to squeeze time for it as soon as I can. And I will definitely be celebrating its 25th anniversary next year by watching it again.

I liked her quite a lot as a character, honestly. But I've also never read a comic with that character in it, anyway, so she was just a totally new character for me. Given what I know about her comics history I honestly don't know why they even bothered calling her Cassandra Cain, though. A different name certainly wouldn't have made any difference to me and clearly would've helped a lot of other people enjoy the movie.
I see your point. Comics Cassandra Cain is a totally different character than what was shown in BoP. BoP Cass was a fine character, but it wasn’t Cassandra Cain. The Cassandra from the comics would’ve taken out Sionis’ goons by herself.

Catwoman, Superman IV, Supergirl and Steel are all worse by a significant margin.

If you accept it for what it is, B&R is a good time.

Awww come on man; people are too harsh on Supergirl. Don’t get me wrong; it’s bad. But Helen Slater is awesome as Kara and almost saves it. She deserved to be in a better movie.

Since this thread is still high up, I will proudly (is that the right word?) declare something far worse

I, Frankenstein

I don't know what I was watching with this, but nothing is consistent, everyone is edgy, the villain is boring, the protagonist is boring, Frankenstein Monster looks less terrifying than Netflix Jigsaw.

Since this thread is still high up, I will proudly (is that the right word?) declare something far worse

I, Frankenstein

I don't know what I was watching with this, but nothing is consistent, everyone is edgy, the villain is boring, the protagonist is boring, Frankenstein Monster looks less terrifying than Netflix Jigsaw.

Aaron Eckhart really took any piece of **** role thrown his way after TDK, didn’t he?

Probably Alicia Silverstone. All the other stuff you mentioned is still bad, but at least I can find entertainment in Bane or Freeze's puns or the bat credit card. But every scene where it's Barbara on her own in the cave or talking to Dick is boring as hell. Silverstone is the only person in the movie who looks like she doesn't want to be there, which is absolutely stunning for a movie like this. Clooney and O'Donnell aren't that much better in this but at least they look like they're awake.

Cause, I don't think she really did.

She had some bad blood toward Schumacer, and there was also some pressure on her to loose weight in order to play Batgirl . It wasn't a very pleasant filming experience for her from what I've gotten in interviews.

The first film I ever saw her in, before she blew up into a star, was a movie called The Crush, in which she played a teenage psycho obsessed with Cary Elwas's character.

She was actually pretty good playing a crazy, even at that young an age.

So she can act when she wants to .

But yeah, there are parts of Batman and Robin where she's clearly phoning it in.

Who isn't, in the film.
Say what you will about the movie, but Schwarzenegger and Thurman showed up to work. Not saying their performances were good, but they definitely didn't phone it in. Michael Gough also deserves credit for being the only person in it who's acting like he's in a serious movie.

Say what you will about the movie, but Schwarzenegger and Thurman showed up to work. Not saying their performances were good, but they definitely didn't phone it in. Michael Gough also deserves credit for being the only person in it who's acting like he's in a serious movie.

For me, EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is ****ing awful in it. It's just sh**. All of it, burn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"