Is Christmas religious for you?

I'm not saying to take anything away from anyone. In fact I'm talking about not taking things away. It's a holiday because of christ. It's a day off of work because it's a holiday. It's a holiday because it's christ's birthday. So you shouldn't act like those aspects are seperate.

I'm not saying everyone has to go to church or sit around and do prayers. Nor am I saying that you must be the most piest person you know. But it -IS- a religious holiday, and I'm saying that anyone who celebrates it should acknowledge that and not try to make it some trivial day of getting stuff. The gifts symbolize the three kings.

Like I mentioned above, what about jewish holidays? Why is it that a Christian holiday is open to everyone and is allowed to be watered down and push religion out of it, but Channukah isn't when atheist celebrate? Why not skip Christmas and celebrate on new year's only?

People try to say x-mas to take Christ out of it, people go overly PC and say happy holidays, even what you just said shows that people try to seperate parts of christmas and take the things they want.

So no "letting it be" is not applicable here. If you have chosen not to accept Christ then don't. That means not accepting christian things. If you have, then do so. It's simple.

I acknowledge that people like the gifts, and I understand that it may have ties to pagan rituals.

It ties heavily into pagan rituals, because Christmas, is just hijacked pagan celebrations (done so by Emperor Constantine I of Rome, when he converted to Christianity).

But the holiday is heavily a christian holiday.

I don't agree.

It doesn't matter if it has pagan basis or if you like toys or whatever.

Why doesn't the pagan basis matter? Why doesn't it matter if people like "toys or whatever"?

It just seems laughable to me

Just as I find it oddly amusing that you are so passionate about celebrating an originally pagan holiday, I guess.

if someone is agnostic or atheist and still wants to celebrate Christmas. Christ is even in the name.

In Sweden it's called "Jul", derived from Yule (the name of the pagan winter festival coinciding with the winter solstice).

I like motza, though I'm not going to celebrate Chanukkah every year and defend it by going "well Channukkah isn't truly a religious holiday..".

I am culturally Christian. That is, I don't have to go very far back in the family lines to find only Christian ancestors. As such I have adopted their traditions, the traditions I grew up with. Had my family been culturally Jewish I would've celebrated Hanukkah in very much the same way I do Christmas now. Without giving it any religious significance.

That being said: Both Hanukkah and Christmas are of course religious holidays. They have religious significance to a lot of people, and a lot of religious people celebrate them. What this discussion is about is whether or not it has religious significance to specific people.

I don't think it's right to try to take something that isn't yours just because you like it.

This is how Christmas got the date its celebrated on, and many of its traditions.

That being said, I don't see how I'm taking anything. You can celebrate however the frack you want. I'm not in your house telling you not to praise Jeebus or whatever.

Do I celebrate Christmas as symbolizing the birth of Christ?

Yes.....

Kent, fun fact. It is not only Sweden, but almost all of the countries in that region.

And Christmas for me is a gathering of family. We talk, laugh and have fun. It's one of those times where cousins, aunts, uncles, nephews and just about everyone comes and joins in that magical celebration.

Actually, since I had any knowledge of it, it has always been about the family for us

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"