Is Frank Miller more Cinematic than Alan Moore

ShadowBoxing

Avenger
Reaction score
I was thinking about this in the gym, where I do all my deep thinking. :ninja:

Anyways. I had the pleasure of viewing the teaser trailer for 300 yesterday. This marks the second Frank Miller graphic Novel adaptation. I got to say, scenes once again ripped right out of the comic. The background, even the film itself looks like the comic (as did Sin City).

Why do you think Alan Moore is shafted when Frank Miller's movies are made to panel for panel perfection. Is Frank Miller better for movie translations, or is it something else.

I'm no expert on this by any means, but I do know that Miller has been involved in screen writing and directing films so perhaps he brings more of a cinematic sensibility to his work.

Perhaps, Alan Moore is too smart for Hollywood. It's not an outrageous theory that there can be such a thing in the movie business as a script that's TOO smart. Take a look at the current movie listings if you doubt that. Anyway, Moore has managed to distance himself from the screen adaptations of his stories. With the exception of V For Vendetta, I can't say I blame him. For the most part, Moore's work in the eighties helped redefine not just just comics, but literature in general. A lot of weight to put on such a pair of scrawny shoulders like his. Every panel of "Watchmen" is just as cinematic as say, "Godfather" or "Raiders of the Lost Ark". It's just damn near impossible to try and squeeze it all into one feature film. I can put it this way, Frank Miller is the Paul McCartney of comics and Moore is the John Lennon of them.

-so sayeth the eggman and the walrus,koo, koo, ka-choo-

I personally think that Moore's work feels very compressed when adapted into a film for theatrical release. For a number of reasons, actually. Fortunately, this hasnt happened with a number of Miller's work, but if Moore's work were to be presented in a mini series (ala Band of Brothers), I think that a format like that would be much better suited, as well as satisfying for the works of Moore.

DarKush said:
I'm no expert on this by any means, but I do know that Miller has been involved in screen writing and directing films so perhaps he brings more of a cinematic sensibility to his work.

yeah he worked on Robocop 2

Frank Miller writes pretty simplistic stories which are pretty easy to faithfully adapt. Moore is incredibly complex, and while there are a good deal of movies that are as complex as a Moore story, nobody in Hollywood seems to think that it fits with superheroes or their demographic (and I feel sorry to say they may just be right about the latter).

Well, the fact that Moore doesn't seem to like any of the movies based on his work (And I have NO idea why he didn't like "V For Vendetta"!) would suggest that Miller's work lends itself to the silver screen a little more easily.

didnt his issues with Hollywood stem from his failed lawsuit with the Matrix people????

????
I never heard about any lawsuit. The way I understood it he just hated what they & all the other filmmakers had done.

With the exception of V For Vendetta, Moore adaptations get changed because the studios don't think Americna audiences will respond well to them for some reason. I do think Miller's writing seems easier to adapt than Moore's, and many of Miller's books have a cinematic quality about them. However, if Moore got involved with the adaptations of his books (the way Miller did on Sin City), they would probably be better (or more to Moore's liking). But Moore is way to arrogant and pretentious to do that. And it seems like he doesn't even need to watch an adaptation of one of his books to dislike it.

The reason 300 is being made pane for panel is because of the success of Sin City which was completly spear headed by Robert Rodriguez, who knows what he is doing when directing (writing is another story).

Its also been said before that Moores work usual work better in comic form, Watchmen in particular which is actually as far as my Moore reading has gone. It works better as a comic and depends on the characteristics of the comic medium to tell the story.

ShadowBoxing said:

Anyways. I had the pleasure of viewing the teaser trailer for 300 yesterday. This marks the second Frank Miller graphic Novel adaptation. I got to say, scenes once again ripped right out of the comic. The background, even the film itself looks like the comic (as did Sin City).

Why do you think Alan Moore is shafted when Frank Miller's movies are made to panel for panel perfection. Is Frank Miller better for movie translations, or is it something else.

Frank Miller's books tend to be more straight to the point and translate better. While Alan Moore's work involves a lot innuendo, metaphors, allegories and overall more complicated than Miller's. Id take a 6 hour movie to for example translate V for Vendetta to the screen page by page.

I found V to be more fun on film than on the page.

Well thats kind of my point, his work is a bit tedious and require mutliple readings to fully grasp everything thrown at you.

Ok. Whereas "Kevin eats hookers" or "Bullseye stabbed Elektra" is more straightforward than the convoluted multi-layered conspiracies within "V". Gotcha.

I just know he's less of a *****ebag

ShadowBoxing said:

Frank Miller is only Violence, Sex, and Characters with drug problems.

Alan Moore is more deep, smart and intelligent about motivations for his characters.

I´m not a Vertigo fan, but I think characters from Hellblazer ( Constantine ) and V For Vendetta are better comics and movies than Sin City characters and the coming soon movie called 300.

I love Sin City, but that movie is a mix up between old noir movies from 5Os
with the characters of Dick Tracy, even Sin City looks like a mature Dick Tracy movie, but Sin City is only a mature copy or mature version of these movies and characters, and Sin City is not perfect.

And the idea about to hire Director Zack Snyder for a comic book movie was original from MARVEL, but you know, in these days, all people are trying to copy, or to steal an idea from MARVEL for a comic book movie.

HighVoltage said:
I´m not a Vertigo fan, but I think characters from Hellblazer ( Constantine ) and V For Vendetta are better comics and movies than Sin City characters and the coming soon movie called 300.

I love Sin City, but that movie is a mix up between old noir movies from 5Os
with the characters of Dick Tracy, even Sin City looks like a mature Dick Tracy movie, but Sin City is only a mature copy or mature version of these movies and characters, and Sin City is not perfect.

Is english not your first language? Cause I can't figure out what the hell you were trying to say here.

Sandman138 said:
Is english not your first language? Cause I can't figure out what the hell you were trying to say here.

You can´t understand my post?:wow:, it´s funny, this is a first time for me, where I see a post like this. ( specially, when I have 2700 posts )

Well, if you can´t understand my post, I´m sorry, because I can´t help you.:woot:

See ya.

I've never been able to understand you either.

Hell, other people have told me they can't understand you.

Sandman138 said:
Frank Miller writes pretty simplistic stories which are pretty easy to faithfully. Moore is incredibly complex, and while there are a good deal of movies that are as complex as a Moore story, nobody in Hollywood seems to think that it fits with superheroes or their demographic (and I feel sorry to say they may just be right about the latter).
As do I.

It's not that Millers work is easier to adapt its WHO he works with.
Miller has worked in hollywood before on such things as robocop 2 and 3 and though I liked 2, it was watered down from the original and 3 was just garbage. (more on this in a sec..)
He vowed NEVER to make a Sin City movie..that is until Rodreigez came along with the "idea" to pretty much put the comic ON the screen.
He became involved in the project and with the success came 300.
Now back to the robocop bit and the whole adapting thing.
The problem has been and always will be the studio. Because of what they did on his work with robocop he vowed never to let Sin City become "just another piece of studio trash." Millers work also isn't as faithfully adapted as people seem to think. Just look at Daredevil and Batman Begins. His only success has been Sin City and from the looks, 300.

Moore knows that they will make a movie of his work wether or not he is involved, so he opts simply for the "thats nice ..now gimmie my check" stance.
Watchmen will come and it will be crap. Why? Studio. It honestly isn't hard to make a Watchmen film. (Gilliam had a great idea of how to do it and be absolutly faithful but was balked at by studios) Or any Moore work for that matter, but it just comes down to the studios thinking that the peoeple are stupid and wanting to make MONEY.

As far as I know, Moore didn't want Gilliam to do it either.

HighVoltage said:
Frank Miller is only Violence, Sex, and Characters with drug problems.

Alan Moore is more deep, smart and intelligent about motivations for his characters.

Have you ever read Give Me Liberty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"