Is Marvel TV running out of steam?

Except they generally aren't considered to suck. Unless you want to count the exceptions (IF and Inhumans) which is a very biased and odd thing to do.

That kind of mentality sickens me. When people say the DCEU sucks it's because the MAJORITY OF THE MOVIES or the majority of DC films WB have made do SUCK.

If you want to call Marvel tv bad then you NEED THE MAJORITY OF THE SHOWS TO SUCK which isn't the case at all.

Do we need 500 threads of people asking this? I mean, seriously guys. I am going to start merging all these kinds of threads.

As for the question no, the TV department is doing fine. Your personal disappointment is hardly a consensus.

Think Marvel's biggest problem TV wise is they now have so much tv content is some of it is just going to suck, they have pushed out so many shows that some just aren't going to resonate the way they wanted.

Greats
Daredevil - Great
Agents of SHIELD - Great
Jessica Jones - Great
Punisher - Great

Average
Luke Cage - Average
Defenders - Average
Iron Fist - Average

Haven't Seen
Agent Carter - haven't seen
Cloak & Dagger - haven't seen
Inhumans - haven't seen
Runaways - haven't seen

I merged these 2 threads on Marvel TV's relative quality. Please use this one.

I think that because we now watch them on the same screens people have forgotten that TV and the movies, while related, are two different mediums, with commercial free content on TV with a different set of story telling rules than just broadcast TV. Added to that you only get one chance to make a good first impression, and that impression sticks.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. being sold as The Avengers on ABC didn't make that cut due to the Agents solving the "084s" before they became big problems nor having the personal love story drama among its characters. And the anti spoiler security not letting us know of Skye's ultimate character arc that has left many complaining about Chloe Bennett and her role in a gender politics way to this day when they sample another episode. That first impression set in to the point that that many missed The Winter Soldier/Turn Turn Turn movie/TV crossover for what it was and promised for future story telling possibilities.

Coming from a slower era of Trek fandom where it took three years for a series to get its legs and characters right isn't an option that is provided for in the connected world of today. But then the Trekker knew it was this or nothing for decades where as today every studio is trying to acquire rights to characters in hopes of pulling in MCU like money from the box office or at least get as many TV season as the Flarrowverse has provided.

The only Marvel show that was outright bad was Inhumans. I actually enjoyed Iron Fist. Flawed? Most definitely. But it had many things I liked. But the shows have ranged from good/decent to great.

Marvel TV shows aren't just exciting as a whole. There's not a single show that I want to rewatch after the final episode. Basically I'm just watching them for completion.

I've never been able to get into the Network shows because they're basically 'Marvel in Name Only' to me. They don't feature characters from the comic books I read as a kid and, for the most part, they don't even feature superheroes.

The best part of AOS to me was Ghost Rider, but the small bits with him left me wondering "Why didn't they just do a Ghost Rider show?"

Inhumans was spectacularly bad, but I honestly still enjoyed watching it a little more than AOS simply because it featured super-powered characters that I knew from comic books.

I'd like to see them identify some recognizable characters whose powers and stories don't require a lot special effects and exotic sets and focus on making some really high-quality programming. Man-Thing is one I'd love to see and I believe it could be done well with a TV budget (though hopefully a budget toward the higher end of the TV scale).

Surprised to hear some of you struggled to finish the Punisher. I found that to be just as engaging as the first couple seasons of Daredevil, which remain my favorite superhero TV show ever.

Same. I thought maybe my second viewing of the Punisher I could feel some drag, but nah, the pace seemed to go smoother. To me.

I'd like to see them identify some recognizable characters whose powers and stories don't require a lot special effects and exotic sets and focus on making some really high-quality programming.
That's where the shows directly aimed at preteens/teens come in.

Everything else feels scattershot.
AoS as the backdoor Scooby Doo clean-up of what's ended up on the big screen took way too long to find a good footing. Most of the Netflix shows don't satisfy the binge-watching model due to how much padding goes into the episodes (slow burn? lol).

The short-lived Agent Carter series felt like the closest thing to the 'cinematic' universe for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's running out of steam. I think it's just exhausting to some viewers because there's something new always around the corner. I don't know how much the GA watches these shows. Whether it's just one show, or if they're like me who likes to watch everything apart of the MCU.

Luke Cage just came out. Cloak and Dagger will be running through until August. After that's done Iron Fist 2/Daredevil 3 will be coming out. Runaways probably will return in November. Then New Warriors is supposed to be coming out in 2018 and there's even a rumor that the show might produce spin-offs.

I love watching these shows and learning more about these characters. Sometimes it can just be exhausting trying to keep up with them.

1.daredevil 1st season
2. Daredevil 2nd season
3. Defenders
4. The punisher
5. Luke cage 2nd season
6. Jessica Jones 2nd season
7. luke cage 1st season
8. Iron Fist
9. Jessica Jones 1st season

Last edited:
I think post-Defenders the shows just don't feel as special anymore. They're worth watching, sure, and I know there are hardcore ride or die MCU folks who drop everything to binge these shows in a day or so, but generally speaking, I approach a new season of one of these shows the same way I approach any other new season of a Netflix show. Like the phase one films building to Avengers, there's a sense of anticipation.

Not to say that these shows won't ever do something like that again, but with the exception of Daredevil, I don't feel the sudden urge or interest for these Marvel Netflix series that I do for something like a Master of None or Stranger Things. Sooner or later, they just become other shows within the Netflix library. And obviously because these are MCU-specific, one would think they stick out in a way, but they just come off as another thing to watch on Netflix.

That and yeah, there's simply far too much to watch, whether on television or streaming.

I don't think it's running out of steam. I think it's just exhausting to some viewers because there's something new always around the corner.

This is where I am, myself. Myself, I'm still excited for anything and everything coming out, regardless of studio, whether it is film or television, it just boils down to being chore remembering everything. Most of the time, as soon as I finish one thing, something somewhere is starting.

I do feel, at some point, I don't think we're there yet--I think possible we're at the beginning stages, but at some point, with TV and Film, too much will start hurting the brand(s).

I skipped Jessica's season 2 and I haven't touched like cage season 2 yet. After the first few shows I was jazzed for the whole Netflix world. But little by little my disappointment has chipped away at the excitement. I did really love the punisher show though.

I'm a simple old man. I like a good guy in a white hat fighting a bad guy in a white hat. And against seemingly impossible odds, the guy in the white hat wins in the end.

Give me that every time and I'll be entertained. :funny:

That can get dull after a while. I much prefer the anti villain version of Magneto to the one note bad guy he was in the Silver Age and Mr. Freeze was better as the sympathetic character then the one note villain he was in the comics at that time.

I like either really sympathetic or really evil villains, I do not like generic scum bags who have no redeeming qualities but commit really generic crimes.

That being said Jessica Jones season 2 had some problems, Trish became too unlikable (Jessica is pushing towards being unlikable too), there are no stakes in the story and it retconned way too much of Jessica's back story.

Also I heard the villain in Legion is a total psychopath if you like truly vile villains, that may be a show worth watching.

Also Mariah in Luke Cage is pretty interesting at this point, sympathetic back story to tell why she is messed up, but her actions have no defense at this point.

As mediocre to bad as IF was, I have to say that they did a great job with Colleen. I absolutely love her character. I just saw the first episode of the new season of Luke Cage where she appears to help train Misty and she was great. Can we just give Colleen her own show and flush Danny down a giant toilet?

As mediocre to bad as IF was, I have to say that they did a great job with Colleen. I absolutely love her character. I just saw the first episode of the new season of Luke Cage where she appears to help train Misty and she was great. Can we just give Colleen her own show and flush Danny down a giant toilet?

No because Danny is awesome as showcased in LC. You would be a terrible showrunner if you give up characters with rich history that easily...

I think it's a bit of a miracle that Marvel TV can manage to be as successful as it have been, WITHOUT using any of the most popular Marvel superheroes and instead relying on a group of B, C or even D list characters and turn them into stars. By comparison, DC TV series have already had Superman (in Supergirl), all the Batman rogue gallery (in Gotham), and Flash/Green Latern, both members of Justice League in the comics. Marvel had Agent Carter but aside from being a costar in The First Avenger, she has very little to do with Steve Rogers in her show.

Once Disney finally purchased Fox, I hope they will be allowed to use mutants because as Fox's shows have shown, they're very tailor-made for a serial storytelling. And there's enough in the X-Men Universe that they can keep using it for years to come.

I feel like I am the only one who liked Iron Fist sometimes :csad:

Bottom tier of the Netflix shows? Yes. Flawed? Yes. But I liked it overall. I liked it more than Luke Cage season 1 in the end (curse you Diamondback! :argh: )

It wasn't perfect but I watched it and will watch the 2nd season.

A lot of people sick of Marvel's winning streak made IF out to be worse than it was. Defenders was disappointing to but I blame that on the budget and the script.

Now Inhumans was complete trash. Really should've let the main cast in Fieges hands.

A lot of these Marvel shows have a tendency to drag because of the weak budget. But Gifted has been my favorite of any recently.

It wasn't perfect but I watched it and will watch the 2nd season.

A lot of people sick of Marvel's winning streak made IF out to be worse than it was. Defenders was disappointing to but I blame that on the budget and the script.

Now Inhumans was complete trash. Really should've let the main cast in Fieges hands.

A lot of these Marvel shows have a tendency to drag because of the weak budget. But Gifted has been my favorite of any recently.

The Gifted is extended from the X-Men universe and not part of "Marvel TV" anymore than Legion. Basically you have the two Agents shows, the 6 Netflix shows, The Runaways and Cloak and Dagger

No because Danny is awesome as showcased in LC. You would be a terrible showrunner if you give up characters with rich history that easily...

Ouch, that really hurts. And here I was, dreaming of someday becoming the next Scott Buck.

Um......I don't recall saying they were. But Marvel Television is a part of its production regardless.

They are associated with both shows but I doubt they creatively decide stuff for the show. Remember when Marvel used to promote the original X-Men trilogy/Origins? Same thing here. Legixn and The Gifted are Fox/Fx production not Marvel television.

So... this thread is actually the merge of 2 threads?

Why does Marvel tv suck so bad compared to Marvel movies?

A scientist standing next to Einstein would suck so bad compared to Einstein. Doesn't mean they suck in general.

Is Marvel TV running out of steam?

I don't think so. Marvel TV has some very critically acclaimed products: AoS pilot, Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Two negatively received products: Inhumans and Iron Fist. The rest are on various level of above-average to positive. The TV division's goal has always been churning out competently made products like those. Critically acclaimed shows are their exceptions, not their norms.

The train might speed up or slow down occasionally, but it is currently running at its normal speed, not out of steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"