Is there any evidence to suggest that Jesus lived?

PyroProductions said:
Another funny thing, the dead sea scrolls state that the reason God flooded the earth in Noah's time was because angels were coming down to earth and having raunchy sex with everyone.

We're about due for another flood, then. :o

jag

Cho Chang said:
This is ridiculous. You atheist hethens come in here spewing your hate against God and expect us good Christians just to roll over and let the world be taken over by your sodomising, spiteful, baby-killing asses. Jesus is coming for you. Remember my name when you're burning in hell for all of eternity.
Hey great I'll see you there, maybe Satan will even give us a room together:up:

Daisy said:

Angels can fly, Daisy. Sometimes they just don't wipe up too good after having some hawt, rawnchy angel secks with a mortal. Looks like one of those flew over you. :o

jag

jaguarr said:
Angels can fly, Daisy. Sometimes they just don't wipe up too good after having some hawt, rawnchy angel secks with a mortal. Looks like one of those flew over you. :o

jag

Oh, wow. Ha ha. That is really funny.

Cho Chang said:
This is ridiculous. You atheist hethens come in here spewing your hate against God and expect us good Christians just to roll over and let the world be taken over by your sodomising, spiteful, baby-killing asses. Jesus is coming for you. Remember my name when you're burning in hell for all of eternity.
You need some Valium, sir.

Cho Chang said:

What gets me is we compare physical pain to hell. I just don't understand that at all. You mean to tell me that you are going to proclaim that we will be met satisfactory in heaven with pleasures our body can not comprehend, yet in hell, we will feel physical pain? I just don't understand...

PyroProductions said:
Oh, wow. Ha ha. That is really funny.

Well, think about that the next time it "rains" on you. :o

jag

Well there was a sudden wave of christianity that swept the world at the exact time he was supposed to live. Plus the the recording of history.

I don't believe in the super natural. I don't believe that God exists. But I think Jesus existed as a mere mortal man. Plus for the time he lived in, he just sounded so dang smart.

Cho Chang said:

How can an atheist hate God when they think God is a figment of your imagination?

According to the Bible jesus doesn't come for you, he comes to you when invited into your heart. He's against violence, and he's against killing.

You accuse others of hating, and then you talk about fire and brimstone?

I don't believe in God, but I have sincere admiration for Jesus. I believe he was a mere mortal who sacrificed his life to make the world a better place. For me he's in the ranks with Buddah, Martin Luther King, Abraham LIncoln and so on.

You don't sound very Christain to me. You definitely sound religous, but you sincerely oppose the teachings of Jesus, and you are nothing like him, and according to him to be a Christian is to be Christ-like.

oh yeah and I have never met a person who killed a baby. apparently your medical terminology leaves a lot to be desired. I have met people who had an aborted an embryo, but not one of them was an atheist. they went to Chruch.

but for your information. An embryo is not a baby. to say so would be medically untrue. an embryo is a group of embryonic cells, cells in an embryonic state of existence, cells in a state of existence with the ability to regenrate tissue and missing body parts. If you remove the tail of a lizard, the cells at the stump revert to an embryonic state and regrows the missing body parts.

in the case of a human embryo if all it is a is a couple cells well then it's missing a whole body so it regrows one. A cancer cell is the same exact thing, but it doesn't normally occure in a uterus. However there are cases where cancer cells have grown body parts and yes even humans. It's called fetus-in fertu.

Achilles said:
This isn't meant to cause a flamewar... see, one of my Professors a couple years ago(who was actually atheist, I believe) said that there is actual evidence documented by the Romans, or perhaps someone else, during Jesus's lifetime that he did in fact exist and was crucified(whether or not he was the actual son of God is another debate, but there was a man 2000 years ago who at least claimed to be).

However, someone else that is debating these topics with me claims that there is not one single shred of evidence to suggest that the man even existed. Who is right? Is it a lot harder to figure out than just that, or are there actual documents supporting the existance of this man?

http://www.carm.org/evidence/extrabiblical_accounts.htm

http://www.carm.org/evidence/Josephus_Jesus.htm

http://www.carm.org/evidence/Jesus_myth.htm

Aborting an embryo is the same as killing a baby. You ought to be shot for your impure thoughts.

fif1.jpg

Daisy said:
Well, this is from Tacitus (Annals 15.44) He's talking about Nero blaming the Christians for the fire in AD 64.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular."

http://classics.mit.edu/Tacitus/annals.11.xv.html

There's a number of other sources as well, but this is probably the most well-known non-christian source, particularly that near to Christ's time.

there are reasons to believe that tacitus was just reporting the claims of christians in his time rather than his writings being independant confirmation of jesus.

Achilles said:
This isn't meant to cause a flamewar... see, one of my Professors a couple years ago(who was actually atheist, I believe) said that there is actual evidence documented by the Romans, or perhaps someone else, during Jesus's lifetime that he did in fact exist and was crucified(whether or not he was the actual son of God is another debate, but there was a man 2000 years ago who at least claimed to be).

However, someone else that is debating these topics with me claims that there is not one single shred of evidence to suggest that the man even existed. Who is right? Is it a lot harder to figure out than just that, or are there actual documents supporting the existance of this man?

Jesus did exist, what's up for debate is whether or not he is the son of God.

He definately existed, and was mentioned by a Jewish historian named Josephus, who proclaimed him as a "Worker of Wonders" or something along those lines. The only evidence he was resurrected is mostly logic based rather than factual accounts. IE: If it was a lie and Jesus wasn't resurrected, why would they suggest the witnesses were women, who were considered unreliable at best? The tomb, also, was definitely empty, and the Jewish leaders claimed that Jesus' followers paid off the tomb guards and stole the body. But most Roman guards would have been badly punished for such a ridiculous mistake as losing the body of Jesus, and would have been badly punished for it, so it would have taken a lot of money to compensate them. Finally, Jesus' followers, who had been absolutely scared ****less throughout his trial and crucifixion and even after it, suddenly come out and start proclaiming the word in the street, and continue despite the death threats. And in fact, they are all executed for their beliefs. All of which is difficult to justify unless the resurrection definitely happened.

I do not believe in the resurrection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"