• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Is this the most emotional scene in any Batman movie?

People can say what they will about BR, but the fact remains it has the most emotional core of the bat films

Please explain why you think that is a fact.

Penguin's death was the closest I've ever been to shed some tears in a Batman movie. But also when he was giving his speech to the little penguins and they were all cheering.

His death made me realize how tragic this character's life was (just like Catwoman's and Batman's). I think that's why the movie has so many comedy touches, because otherwise it could have been overly tragic.
I did feel some sympathy for him, which is quite a feat considering moments before he was attempting to murder all the children of Gotham.

I did feel some sympathy for him, which is quite a feat considering moments before he was attempting to murder all the children of Gotham.

Exactly. That made his death scene so hard to grasp; he was truly a monster and yet you feel sorry for him.

Maybe because comic fans know Penguin from the comics too...

What if you were just watching Batman returns as a regular guy, would you feel sorry for him? Or is he just a lousier version of Joker

James Gordon Jr.: "Why's he running, Dad?"

Lt. James Gordon: "Because we have to chase him."

James Gordon Jr.: "He didn't do anything wrong."

Lt. James Gordon: "Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight..."

Best last quote ever!

TDK ending is epic.

I have to say it's great to see Penguin's death scene getting some love. DeVito's Penguin is very underrated, IMO.

My pick is the scene in Begins when Alfred and Bruce are in the elevator to the cave, with Wayne Manor on fire. "What have I done, Alfred? Everything my family, my father built...."

It's a bit cheesy, but Bale makes me feel so bad for Bruce everytime I see it. And Cain is great, too.

Ipodman said:
What if you were just watching Batman returns as a regular guy, would you feel sorry for him?

I'm pretty sure you would yes. No matter what your knowledge of the character from the comics is, how can you get over the fact that, ultimately, the Penguin is nothing but a victim seeking misguided retribution? He was dumped in the sewers by his parents because of how ugly he looked...

And so many traits of the character make him look like a baby who never got a chance to grow up regularly (toy umbrella, baby bodysuit...), how can you not feel sorry for him?

That's also why BR is the most "Burtonized" version of the Batman mythos, it is the story of an outcast, not Batman, but the Penguin, who never got the chance to fit in and never will. He is the Edward Scissorhand of the film, the one nobody wants around up on the surface.

To me he is the most tragic character of all the Batmovies together (BB and TDK included), and his passing was definitely the most touching moment of the "saga", if I may call it that.

Or is he just a lousier version of Joker

Ipodman said:
What if you were just watching Batman returns as a regular guy, would you feel sorry for him?

I'm pretty sure you would yes. No matter what your knowledge of the character from the comics is, how can you get over the fact that, ultimately, the Penguin is nothing but a victim seeking misguided retribution? He was dumped in the sewers by his parents because of how ugly he looked...

And so many traits of the character make him look like a baby who never got a chance to grow up regularly (toy umbrella, baby bodysuit...), how can you not feel sorry for him?

That's also why BR is the most "Burtonized" version of the Batman mythos, it is the story of an outcast, not Batman, but the Penguin, who never got the chance to fit in and never will. He is the Edward Scissorhand of the film, the one nobody wants around up on the surface.

To me he is the most tragic character of all the Batmovies together (BB and TDK included), and his passing was definitely the most touching moment of the "saga", if I may call it that.

Or is he just a lousier version of Joker

How so?

How in heaven or hell is Penguin anything like Joker? :huh:

I was very young, and everyone who wanted to kill Batman was the Joker!

:woot:

Furthermore he had those thugs following him wherever he went

For me, the part of TDK that really stuck with me was after Rachael explodes, and Batman is standing in front of the wreckage
The sheer weight of that shot is amazing. Possibly my favorite single image from either Nolan bat-films.

My pick is the scene in Begins when Alfred and Bruce are in the elevator to the cave, with Wayne Manor on fire. "What have I done, Alfred? Everything my family, my father built...."

It's a bit cheesy, but Bale makes me feel so bad for Bruce everytime I see it. And Cain is great, too.
I've always liked that moment too. Even the repeated "why do we fall" line wasn't annoying. Bale and Nolan did a great thing by making Bruce so human and relatable.

When Harvey picks up the coin and remembers Rachel when he is lying in bed. The silence is what does it for me, Nolan does such a good job of putting us inside the characters heads that we feel like we have gone insane with him.

Harvey displays his affection towards Rachel many, many times. Heck, her death is his primary motivation for going on his killing spree as Two-Face. Bruce is shown to be more conflicted, but he still looks at Rachel as a potential soul-mate who's relationship would mean an escape from Batman.

I don't know how you could have missed the set-up that Bruce has known Rachel his entire life. Batman Begins showed them as childhood friends.

Bening told characters are in love and being shown why they are in love are two different things.

All the emotional attachments that these characters developed occured off screen. For me to feel emotion while watching a movie I have to see why characters love each other.

Bening told characters are in love and being shown why they are in love are two different things.
We saw very clearly why Bruce loved Rachel at least, and we can infer enough about why Harvey loved her (they were both attorneys, shared a passion for the law and the legitimate fight against Gotham's crime). But what it ultimately comes down to is that these two guys had a very meaningful connection with this girl, which is what love is anyway. And again, we weren't just told these characters were in love, we saw this love displayed many times.

We saw very clearly why Bruce loved Rachel at least, and we can infer enough about why Harvey loved her (they were both attorneys, shared a passion for the law and the legitimate fight against Gotham's crime). But what it ultimately comes down to is that these two guys had a very meaningful connection with this girl, which is what love is anyway. And again, we weren't just told these characters were in love, we saw this love displayed many times.

When are we explained or it shown why Bruce loves Rachel exactly?

As far as I remember they were friends as kids and when they're adults... he's suddenly in lovbe with her.

Maybe it was those two slaps?

When are we explained or it shown why Bruce loves Rachel exactly?

As far as I remember they were friends as kids and when they're adults... he's suddenly in lovbe with her.

Maybe it was those two slaps?
It was the friendship they had when they were kids, establishing that that personal connection early on, and it developed into romance. Happens all the time in movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"