Is "V" Gay?

A

Aquari0217

My guess, from watching the film, is that the lady that wrote the letter found in the prison was arrested for being gay. Her and her partner were arrested.

Why else were they arrested?

V was in this same prison.

Think about it....

Read the book (comic). Aside from homosexuals, they put non-whites, people of certain religions, etc. into those camps as well.

Should've phrased the question better, threads probobly going to get closed or deleted.

No, even though V is fairly ambiguous in his identity, I dont think he was gay. Given the hints, Im more willing to say he was a protestor who was some sort of scientist/botonist.

Maybe...I think he was meant to represent any and all oppressed minorities though

Nivek said:
Should've phrased the question better, threads probobly going to get closed or deleted.
nah, I know what he means

people put into the camps probably fell into the same categories as those that were victims of the nazis:

Non-Whites
Non-Christians
Homosexuals
Dissenters
The elderly/the diseased/the weak
foreigners

V could have been any one of these before coming to Larkhill. I think it doesn't matter though, because V is not the person he was before he entered Larkhill. He's arguably not even a human being anymore, depending on how philosophical you want to get.

I think if the author wanted you to know what V was before he came to Larkhill, he probably would have told you, wouldn't he have?

I doubt it. Just because he was against the oppression of gays doesn't mean he himself was gay.

The idea of "V" has no sexual idenity, since he is a not a man.

Now, the man portraying the idea, I don't think he was gay; in fact, it looked like he was attracted to Evey.

"Unity in Faith" - The posters seen on some buildings.

What opposes faith in today's society? Being Gay or one can argu being Muslim.

The Government used ppl of non faith to experiment on.

I dont think it had to do with skin color. However, I didn't read the comics, yet the movie suggest faith.

MaskedManJRK said:
The idea of "V" has no sexual idenity, since he is a not a man.

Now, the man portraying the idea, I don't think he was gay; in fact, it looked like he was attracted to Evey.

I think V and Evey had a connection beyond sexual attraction. I have to watch this movie a few more times...it was fantastic!

Aquari0217 said:
What opposes faith in today's society? Being Gay or one can argu being Muslim.

Eh, I don't know about that one.

I guess you could consider homosexuality an enemy of faith, but if you're looking at it from an uber-conservative standpoint, so are a LOT of things.

Lt. Figgnuts said:
Eh, I don't know about that one.

I guess you could consider homosexuality an enemy of faith, but if you're looking at it from an uber-conservative standpoint, so are a LOT of things.

Yeah. If you want to really get deep in it, eating meat on Sundays is an enemy of faith.

Aquari0217 said:
I think V and Evey had a connection beyond sexual attraction. I have to watch this movie a few more times...it was fantastic!

I can see what you're saying (and I completely agree), but some parts of the movie made me think there was also some attraction to her.

Their first encounter, after V saves her, with the expanded diologue, it made V sound a little flirty to me.

Also, when V's cooking the day after, and Evey sees his hands, it sounded like V was saddened that she was potentially repulsed by his scarred hands.

Him asking her to dance also gave that idea. He almost reminded me of the guy asking the hot girl to dance at the dance, but in the slightly nervous/excited way, and not in the immature bastard high school way.

Finally, his death scene. He says blantently that he loved her and that she was the one who opened his heart again.

I agree there was love, but I think there was a hint of V yearning for her, to make his love become his lover.

MaskedManJRK said:
I can see what you're saying (and I completely agree), but some parts of the movie made me think there was also some attraction to her.

Their first encounter, after V saves her, with the expanded diologue, it made V sound a little flirty to me.

Also, when V's cooking the day after, and Evey sees his hands, it sounded like V was saddened that she was potentially repulsed by his scarred hands.

Him asking her to dance also gave that idea. He almost reminded me of the guy asking the hot girl to dance at the dance, but in the slightly nervous/excited way, and not in the immature bastard high school way.

Finally, his death scene. He says blantently that he loved her and that she was the one who opened his heart again.

I agree there was love, but I think there was a hint of V yearning for her, to make his love become his lover.

I agree. Good post.

Regardless, I'm glad they really gave no hint as to who he was, or what kind of man he was before the bad stuff. It really added to the character to not really know anything about him, or to ever see his face. :up:

Wel l the whole notion of V is that , the less you know about him the more you invest in his ideals .
I mean you even see this with actors. When you have acotrs like Adam Sandler or Paul Walker or hat guy who plays Jack on Will and Grace and then hearing that they are playing in a very serious drama movie , it's just hard for you to accept them in such a role.
Because you have knowlegde of the actors previous work , it's very distracting for you to watch such a drama movie.

That is why with V there's really no backstory.

Having said that , you guys should read the novel . Some books have a few pages at the end where Moore discusses the book and the creation.
Originally V was a transsexual terrorist in white make up who used the name of The Doll to wage war on britain.
The idea was ditched but the inspiration was there.
So you could say that V was a transsexual.
Or a person who was an actor. Which might explain his love for theatre , music and art.
Or a scientist who loved the arts

In the movie they made it kind of seem like he might have been some sort of mutant or at least something above human, especially how he was able to survive that fire when he came out so horrifically scarred. The comic was a little more vague about it.

He was the one who started the fire in the first place.

And really, I don't think "The Man from Room 5's" sexual orientation matters. What I love about V is that he could have been anybody before Larkhill. He was not attracted to Evey Hammond, at least not in the book. Evey was deeply attracted/attached to him.

well we know he was experimented on, neither version went into specific details about what the results of the experiments were on him.

matrix_ghost said:
Having said that , you guys should read the novel . Some books have a few pages at the end where Moore discusses the book and the creation.
Originally V was a transsexual terrorist in white make up who used the name of The Doll to wage war on britain.
The idea was ditched but the inspiration was there.
So you could say that V was a transsexual.
Or a person who was an actor. Which might explain his love for theatre , music and art.
Or a scientist who loved the arts

:eek:

Yes, I think the graphic novel strongly implies that he is gay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"