I liked most of the plot changes except...

Anita18

DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
Reaction score
The pushing of the V/Evey romance and the fact that Finch went to Larkhill
but did not take LSD to relive what V went through.

I mean, does every Hollywood movie have to push a romance? The love factor made it almost Phantom of the Operaesque, which I did not get from the GN at all. I was alright with Evey being much older in the movie than she was in the book, although a bit of the "growing up" process was lost because the change was less drastic. I found it sweet that V was almost like her father in the novel and read her bedtime stories, but him pining away at her bed in the movie? Meh.

That also meant that the Gordon/Evey relationship had to be toned down since OMG we can't have a third wheel! I think the fact that V steals Evey from her happy life in order to show her what freedom truly is, pushes the point in so much further than him "rescuing" her from the Fingermen and then torturing her. Happiness is a prison. Being satisfied with your lot in life is a prison, as Gordon's death in the book demonstrated. So many people die being unfulfilled in their lives, because they spent their living moments trying to "get by." That was one of the statements in the novel that really hit me, and I was disappointed that they didn't show that in the movie.

The other statement in the book that also hit me was the revelation that Finch had at Larkhill - that no one imprisons us except ourselves. What was with that "we are all connected" malarkey in the movie? I didn't understand the significance of that at all.

I also missed the colorful way V spoke, which was mostly in iambic pentameter. That was damned cool, that plus the fact his speech was always puzzling. The movie character presented too much of himself and how he was feeling, IMHO, which I suppose tied in with the whole romance bit.

I did like the part with the people of London walking towards the soldiers. That was awesome. I also think that V met with a more fitting end, although it was waaay too much bullet-time for my tastes.

Anita18 said:
The pushing of the V/Evey romance and the fact that Finch went to Larkhill
but did not take LSD to relive what V went through.

I don't think the
LSD trip
would have worked personally. At this point in time it's very hard to get ahold of and in the future where everything's rationed and controlled it would probably be near impossible. Maybe some other drug could have been substituted, but I don't think a good cop would have easy access to that stuff.

I mean, does every Hollywood movie have to push a romance? The love factor made it almost Phantom of the Operaesque, which I did not get from the GN at all. I was alright with Evey being much older in the movie than she was in the book, although a bit of the "growing up" process was lost because the change was less drastic. I found it sweet that V was almost like her father in the novel and read her bedtime stories, but him pining away at her bed in the movie? Meh.

Usually I'd agree with you about the unnecessary romance, but in this case I actually really liked it. Not least of all because I'm all hot and bothered for V and wish I was Evey. But I get what you're saying. I think the relationship between them in the novel was more powerful and more realistic, but I do like the romance angle as well.

That also meant that the Gordon/Evey relationship had to be toned down since OMG we can't have a third wheel! I think the fact that V steals Evey from her happy life in order to show her what freedom truly is, pushes the point in so much further than him "rescuing" her from the Fingermen and then torturing her. Happiness is a prison. Being satisfied with your lot in life is a prison, as Gordon's death in the book demonstrated. So many people die being unfulfilled in their lives, because they spent their living moments trying to "get by." That was one of the statements in the novel that really hit me, and I was disappointed that they didn't show that in the movie.

Are you referring to him kicking her out of the Shadow Gallery or abducting her as she was about to shoot Harper?

I think that both versions of the story work. In both versions Evey believes that "It's just life, it's the best we have so we just have to deal with it." In the movie even moreso because instead of taking up V's cause even though she knows it's right, she betrays and abandons him. She does it out of misplaced loyalty to the system and fear of retribution. She thinks that "getting by" is good enough until she's forced to choose between death and submission.

The other statement in the book that also hit me was the revelation that Finch had at Larkhill - that no one imprisons us except ourselves. What was with that "we are all connected" malarkey in the movie? I didn't understand the significance of that at all.

That was kind of wierd. If they were going to do that kind of revelation, he should have just put together all the things he knew about, but he also adds things in there that haven't happened yet, and things he wasn't even present for. It could have been done better, and I do wish they'd stuck to the idea of him seeing V's point of view, briefly. Although I'm glad he didn't run around naked.

I also missed the colorful way V spoke, which was mostly in iambic pentameter. That was damned cool, that plus the fact his speech was always puzzling. The movie character presented too much of himself and how he was feeling, IMHO, which I suppose tied in with the whole romance bit.

Another big word there. I love how cryptic he was in the novel, and didn't care for how straightforward he was in the film. It was a big part of Evey's transformation that she had to figure out so much of what he meant instead of just having it handed to her. It means more when you figure it out yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"