Is Watchmen what Fox really wants, or is it something else? CBR thinks so

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
ComicBookResources.com's recent "Lying in the Gutters" revealed some interesting things about the Fox vs. WB Watchmen case.

One could say that Fox has a good case, as they have said that they are filing suit against Warners and other connected companies over the rights to the Watchmen movie, based on contracts signed a considerable while ago. However, sources told CBR that this is just something of a ruse. I mean Watchmen is looking to be a big money-making comic book film, but Fox hasn't had any process in it before WB started, right? So does Fox really want to make a Watchmen film of their own? Do they want the money from the Warners Watchmen film? Do they want a cut? A payoff? Or just holding up a rival?

Well, CBR's sources have said that is none of them. In fact, they told CBR that what Fox really wants from WB is this guy:
182751e7.jpg

That's right! The old 1960s Adam West Batman show. I'll have CBR explain the rest from their article:

Currently Fox own the TV footage, but Warner Bros own the characters and trademarks, via their ownership of DC Comics. The rights to a DVD release have been held up for a long time now, and this case looks like it may be the instrument to release them.

Oh, Fox will get a wodge of cash as well - many millions of dollars it seems. But it seems they also want the rights to release the Adam West-starring Batman on DVD, something long denied fans of the series. And Warners will get the “Watchmen” film, to release as planned.

There were comic fans who threatened Fox boycotts over what they saw as their scuppering of the Watchmen movie. Looks like they may soon have cause to thank Fox for this action.

I don't know but maybe we should have thought of this when the lawsuit news started. I mean Fox HAS the Batman series, something even me would like the DVD towards. Plus, Batman is now a big thing because of The Dark Knight. I'm surprised that no one even thought of this as a possibility. If this is true and the case, of course.

i seem to remember ads for the old show on dvd like 2 months ago, around the same time the dark knight came out, or was that just for the old movie?

yes, Fox's president is going to put a big POW on someones balls.

Holy Testicles Fox! batman the show is coming soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
DC/WB may not want this camp TV series released on DVD to distort the image of "The Dark Knight."

Its got the nostalgia factor but the movie and TV series are lame and not worth purchasing.

Its got the nostalgia factor but the movie and TV series are lame and not worth purchasing.

I very much disagree. The TV show and movie are amazing. Just because they're not dark and gritty like TDK doesn't mean they aren't entertaining in their own right. They're hilarious.

I had this on my mind when I first heard about the legal trouble regarding this film.Wouldn't be too surprising if the settlement is done like this.

Wow. Who would have thought Adam West would cause all this trouble?

I very much disagree. The TV show and movie are amazing. Just because they're not dark and gritty like TDK doesn't mean they aren't entertaining in their own right. They're hilarious.

Damn right. One of the funniest shows ever.

I hope it finally gets on DVD.

I don't get it.... Fox already has Adam West:

MayorAdamWestwithhisTaffy.gif

... and he's a man who enjoys his taffy.

i very much disagree. The tv show and movie are amazing. Just because they're not dark and gritty like tdk doesn't mean they aren't entertaining in their own right. They're hilarious.

qft.

The plot thickens on the ongoing Fox v. Warner bros legal dispute over Watchmen. Here is some interesting new information....

Originally from comicbookresources.com

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18162

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]WHO WATCHES THE BATMAN DVDS?[/FONT]
litg_gr.gif

So, how are the "Watchmen" movie legal shenanigans going to shake themselves out? Let Lying In The Gutters give you the exclusive.

Currently the situation has Fox filing suit against Warners and other connected companies over the rights to produce and distribute the upcoming "Watchmen" movie, based on contracts signed a considerable while ago. And it appears that they have a very good case indeed.

But does Fox really want to make a “Watchmen” film of their own? Do they want the money from the Warners “Watchmen” film? Do they want a cut? A payoff? Or just holding up a rival?

None of the above. Sources tell me that Fox want the 1960s Batman TV series. Currently Fox own the TV footage, but Warner Bros own the characters and trademarks, via their ownership of DC Comics. The rights to a DVD release have been held up for a long time now, and this case looks like it may be the instrument to release them.

Oh, Fox will get a wodge of cash as well - many millions of dollars it seems. But it seems they also want the rights to release the Adam West-starring Batman on DVD, something long denied fans of the series. And Warners will get the “Watchmen” film, to release as planned.

There were comic fans who threatened Fox boycotts over what they saw as their scuppering of the Watchmen movie. Looks like they may soon have cause to thank Fox for this action.

and from Sharkerati:

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/trade-ya-watchmen-for-batman/

:dry:.....After the trial, I'm sneaking into any Fox movie I want to see.

There were comic fans who threatened Fox boycotts over what they saw as their scuppering of the Watchmen movie. Looks like they may soon have cause to thank Fox for this action
Why would I thank Fox? I would like to see the Watchmen film released with no lawsuit and no threat to the release date rather than have the Adam West Batman on DVD. Not to mention the destruction Fox has caused on all their other Comic Book/Superhero properties. I have no reason to thank Fox.

Fox = *****ebags.

But, I wouldnt mind seeing the 60s Batman on DVD. However, if it somehow diminishes Watchmen, then no thanks.

hahahah, luke....

wait, wtf are we laughing at?!

HAhahHAHAHA! Loud Silent Man.

I have no idea :dry:

Hahahahah, Hurm...

I. CANT. STOP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member