Is X-Men the most grown up comic book movie series?

LostSon88

Superhero
Reaction score
So I was reading one of the reviews of X3 on rottentomatoes...and the writer (who gave X3 a 3.5/5) said something that really caught my attention:

But there are moments when it springs brilliantly to life, forcing characters to make some very difficult decisions. Combined with the gripping story, this insight continues to mark this as one of the most grown-up comic book movie series ever made.

So thinking back on the series as a whole and the message its tried to get across (tolerance, acceptance, dangers of ignorance, etc.)...in your opinion, is the X-Men series the most grown-up comic book movie franchise?

series yes

as for putting them all together as individual films i would say x1 is the second highest ranking.

Yes, I believe so.

And I think it stems from the X-Men probably being one of the more grown up comics as well.

It has very serious, and very real themes, wrapped up in a pretty package of yellow spandex and optic blasts.

But it's the reason why I love the first 2 X-Men films so much, because instead of focusing on the flash first, and the meaning second, Singer focused on the meaning first, and the flash second.

It's what makes the X-Men universe special. And it's why I don't understand how people can even remotley say the movies are inaccurate to the comics, because the movies got what counts right; the depth of the universe these people live in, the trails and tribulations that they face, and who these characters are. Sure, some things are botched, but the important things are there.

It's why killing off Cyclops sucks. This isn't a fiction where people are just killed off for shock value, and there's that one uber hero dude that does everything. These characters function together as one, and are all important to telling the story. And the relationships between these characters is what makes the universe for me, not their powers, and the action. That's all nice, and HELPS, but it's the foundation of what these characters are about, and what this world is about, that makes the X-Men so appealing.

In terms of superhero movies, yes, along with Batman Begins.

batman begins isn't really a series, it's an individual movie.

I'm having a tough time deciding which I think was handled in a more mature way: X-Men or Spider-man.

I think if you strip away all the superhero stuff, Nell is right. theme-atically, the comic was always very adult in the way it dealt with tolerance and acceptance of minorities. By originally having a director of taste and intelligence, Fox were able to reflect this across the first two movies. One of the simplest scenes is, imo, one of the best: Bobby's coming out scene. you can really see McKellen's and Singer's influence on that (especially McKellen's...coming out was a much bigger deal in his day).

Im not so sure about the third. i cant see how the two mainplots are going to be levered into a 90 minute movie, and keep the same level of nous the first two had. It might in onbe or two small scenes,. but i suspect what get will be fuller, but more vacuous

Um..... V for Vendetta is the most "grown-up" comic book movie.
the most grown-up series will the BB series. X-men is close though.

The new Batman series is much more adult. The X-Men series is actually pretty juvinile in places. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

X-Men has a real message and a meaning, not just going around fighting bad guys like Spiderman, Superman, Batman and Fantastic Four.

Electrix said:
X-Men has a real message and a meaning, not just going around fighting bad guys like Spiderman, Superman, Batman and Fantastic Four.
So do these characters if you pay attention.

SpeedballLives said:
Um..... V for Vendetta is the most "grown-up" comic book movie.
the most grown-up series will the BB series. X-men is close though.
Totally agree. I think X-men could be the most grown up because of the issues inherant in the stories but as they are now, I agree that they are behind V and Batman. I still really like the current series but they just don't hit on all the themes they could.

I agree!!! The DC comic book movies just don't have the realism and passion that the Marvel movies have, especially X-men!!!:up:

ultimatefan said:
So do these characters if you pay attention.

Magneto and the Brotherhood arnt simply 'bad guys' they are standing up for their freedom and their way of life. They are the minority.

It is slightly different in the comics but the movies are more grown up than Spiderman and FF.

I said yes because it deals with a lot of emotion and todays problems.

Electrix said:
Magneto and the Brotherhood arnt simply 'bad guys' they are standing up for their freedom and their way of life. They are the minority.

It is slightly different in the comics but the movies are more grown up than Spiderman and FF.

The X-men movies deal with mutants in a way that real life prejudice is dealt with!!! The movies really make you think about being in that position!!!:up:

Electrix said:

You can argue that Ra´s Al Ghul wants to make the world a better place, he just used the wrong methods, like Magneto. Doc Ock wanted to do a fusion experiment that was supposed to bring huge benefits to mankind, but he doesn´t see the danger he´s causing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"