X-Men: The Last Stand actually the most "comic book" for me

I can't believe that all it takes are flashy effects and action scenes to make people say that this is the most accurate comic movie ever.

Reading comments like that makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Most of the new one's,like X-men,Astonishing,NXM etc.And the old one's that my uncle(who's a huge nerd lol) allows me to touch.

Darkdd said:
It is for me too.I went home after seeing the movie and it felt as if i had just finished reading a (great) Marvel event of the year.

Tell me, which of the X-men were actually in character then? Ororo "My attitude makes me the leader" Monroe? Jean, who lusted openly over Logan and became a quiet servant of Magneto? Logan, who became Scott? Scott, who became a cameo? Rogue, who went against everything she stood for and took the cure? Xavier, the jerk? Bobby "where are my jokes?" Iceman? etc. etc.

The list goes on - for every X-men character X3 got right, they put another 20 people out-of-character.

Your statements seems more like a lame excuse to pass X3 as what it definitely is NOT - a comic book movie. A summer action flick, definitely, an okay one at that, but to claim that it's truer to the comic origins than other movies is...laughable.

Hahahaha.

Fanged-Hunter said:
Mainly there were so many non-death deaths that this one is definitely the most comic book feeling for me.

Cyclops: Death by assumption.
Cyclops' face began to ripple as he kissed Jean and he opened his eyes. After that, we know nothing except that they find his glasses and Jean unconcsious. Why did Jean pass out after obliterating Cyclops? Or moreso, why did Phoenix?

Here's a thought, she didn't kill him. He felt something was wrong, obviously, and could have pushed her back, his optic blast being released. Remember his power is a concussive blast, not energy. It's like a megaton hammer wailing on something. Blasting Jean from close range, assuming Phoenix pulled up a tek shield would possibly knock her out as well as send Scott flying well into the woods from the force. So why didn't they find him? Well, Charles never looked for Cyclops with Cerebro that we know, as he was dealing with repressing Phoenix. Put a guy in the woods, lost, and essentially blind and he's not likely going to show back up.

Verdict: Comic book movie adapts comic book rules. No corpse, definitely no certain death.

Mystique
Death by power loss and the question of her betrayal
We see Magneto's powers returning, and he was jabbed with four needles. Mystique was shot with one, so theoretically she'd regain her powers if the writers wanted her to. As for her betrayal, I find it odd that she turned in Magneto and sent them to his base at the right time for them to find Multiple Man as a decoy. Was this part of the plan in the long run and despite being jilted, Mystique went through with it? No telling for sure.

Verdict: A likely return if X4 is made (and box office results beg why they wouldn't)

Rogue
Death by power loss
Similar to Mystique, she can easily regain her powers, likely at the worst possible moment.

Verdict: A likely return

Magneto
Death by power loss
Clearly coming back as he moved the chess piece

Charles Xavier
Death by obliteration
Quite possibly the most comic book style non-death of the film. Before he's wiped out, he looked to Wolverine and...smiles. Clearly, he knows something we don't.

Now, then, the body was born with no brain activity, but the body functions. This is essentially a shell, so should we transfer a mind into it, is it ethical? It could be very ethical if the person taking care of it is a geneticist and close personal friend.

Arguably, by comic possibility, Charles could have worked with Moira to creat a clone of himself, but telepathically kept the mind from developing. Essentially, this would create a shell of himself ready in case of the worst happening. This also lets us bring back Xavier with Patrick Stewart as the body, not just the voice.

Biggest Disappointment for me:
Psylocke. Why put her in the movie if you don't even give her her powers? She would have fit in for a Wolverine movie as an ally or enemy if it were to take place in Japan.

The Cure not working?
Well, Leech's power only works when you're near him. They based it off his DNA, so it's not impossible to imagine that they didn't test it enough to find that it has a temporary effect.

And finally, sorry for posting a new thread that likely could have been addressed in multiple other threads. I'm back after a while and wasn't sure the best way to browse through boards for all these points.

Nice. :up:

Nathan said:
I can't believe that all it takes are flashy effects and action scenes to make people say that this is the most accurate comic movie ever.

Reading comments like that makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone.
Thats not what the comic was. In fact everything that comic was, was summed up by Cyclops before his marriage to Jean Grey.

Looking down at them raking leaves.

Scott: From up here they almost look like a family....almost.

The comic is about the characters, not their powers. If you think its about the powers you should try reading the words next time.

Wait wait wait wait,I did not say that this movie was true to the comics,I said that the movie itself felt like its own comic.

Darkdd said:
Wait wait wait wait,I did not say that this movie was true to the comics,I said that the movie itself felt like its own comic.

Whoops, my bad. I thought you agreed with the starter of the thread.

Darkdd said:
Okay, I guess:confused: However truly every movie feels like its own comic since comics kinda run the gamet when it comes to genres.

I really liked X3, but the most "comic-book" movie will always be Hellboy.

:cool:

Warhammer said:
I really liked X3, but the most "comic-book" movie will always be Hellboy.

:cool:
What about Sin City, it truly does not get anymore comic book than that, ever.

x3 felt least like the comic book. it was more like look what stars we got to play in our movie cool huh

ShadowBoxing said:
What about Sin City, it truly does not get anymore comic book than that, ever.

Dang, I forgot all about Sin City.

WHOA WHOA WHOA

Hold the phone, back up, stop!

I NEVER, not ONCE, said that X3 was the closest translation of X-Men comic book to X-Men movie in my original thread. Everyone can simply stop drinking their haterade for the film.

If you're looking for a comic book in motion, you're better off watching the 90s X-Men cartoon (which still isn't complete on DVD grrr snarl). You should never have expected the comic to be replicated page by page in the movie. Now, the original Jim Lee X-Men 1-3 (I think it was just 3) even with the new costumes and such would have been amazing, but you actually would have found it boring.

That's right boring.

Harry Potter followed the books scene for scene to a good extent and the first two where they required less editing for time were far less interesting than Lord of the Rings, which made changes while keeping to the spirit of the books.

Paper and film can almost never be exact. Mind you, I said almost.

But back to the original point of my thread, you hijackers, I never said "comic book accurate" I said it was the most "comic book" in that it had the most comic style themes of non deaths. NON DEATHS are the topic here, nothing else.

And if you're complaining about the characters in X3 being nothing like the comic counterparts, and you're accusing others of not reading a comic, have you even seen the first two? Ratner worked with the characters he had, he couldn't do a 180 and put the comic characters in when the movie versions were established.

Fanged-Hunter said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA

I NEVER, not ONCE, said that X3 was the closest translation of X-Men comic book to X-Men movie in my original thread. Everyone can simply stop drinking their haterade for the film.

If you're looking for a comic book in motion, you're better off watching the 90s X-Men cartoon (which still isn't complete on DVD grrr snarl). You should never have expected the comic to be replicated page by page in the movie. Now, the original Jim Lee X-Men 1-3 (I think it was just 3) even with the new costumes and such would have been amazing, but you actually would have found it boring.

That's right boring.

Harry Potter followed the books scene for scene to a good extent and the first two where they required less editing for time were far less interesting than Lord of the Rings, which made changes while keeping to the spirit of the books.

But back to the original point of my thread, you hijackers, I never said "comic book accurate" I said it was the most "comic book" in that it had the most comic style themes of non deaths. NON DEATHS are the topic here, nothing else.

And if you're complaining about the characters in X3 being nothing like the comic counterparts, and you're accusing others of not reading a comic, have you even seen the first two? Ratner worked with the characters he had, he couldn't do a 180 and put the comic characters in when the movie versions were established.
Right I believe I pointed out NON deaths are not really a part of comic books, they are a part of bad writing. Most comic fans hate deaths/ressaurections as now they are normally done for sale. Back when the original Phoenix Saga was written death in comics was rare and when it did happen very memorable. Cyclops, Xavier, Magneto, the Brotherhood never die in the Phoenix Saga (in fact the latter are not involved). However direct translations aside. The reason Phoenix's death was so impacting was because of Scott and because it was the only prominent death in the story (outside of that star system no one knew anybody from).

Comic books run the gamet when it comes to genres. Saying X3 is the most comic book because of non deaths is ludacrious. Its like saying its the most comic book because Wolverine has claws, or the X-Jet flies. Non deaths are just a byproduct of the length that comic characters stay around and the constant switch of writers and artists who may not be particularly fond of a character.

To be the most comic book you have to capture the essence of a story and it's characters. Sin City did so through direct translation, Spider-Man and Batman Begins(while the origin and story is very similar indeed) does so by "sticking to the heart and soul of the characters". This means they act as they are suppose to and that the story revolves around the correct entities (i.e. in Spider-Man's case, Peter's stuggle with his Uncle Ben's commitment to responsibility as his everyman image).

X-Men the Phoenix Saga is about one thing: love. The love between Scott Summers and Jean Grey: even ends with Scott Summers purposing (right before her death in the next issue). It is bittersweet as we watch a love so strong that Jean Grey is willing to sacrifice herself to save the man she loves from ever being a victim of it (something that movie destroyed in the first ten minutes). Forget the Hellfire Club, forget the Shi'ar, forget star systems. The Phoenix Saga was no mere action movie, so no it did not feel like the comics. Maybe it felt like a comic, but thats not the comic it was adapting (but then a comic can be action, drama, comedy, anything really), it was adapting the Phoenix Saga, and non deaths had nothing to do with the original Phoenix Saga. Nor does their cliche'd nature in a movie make it feel like a comic. The characters and story are responsible for that.

Actually a large criticism of Ratner is that he did a 180 on Singer's characters, who aside from Storm, actually did resemble their comic selves. Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, Wolveclops (who never acted that way before), and Juggernaut to name a few were all characters who could have behaved like their comic selves and or like the Singer versions.

You know they could bring in Scarlet Witch and have her warp reality sort of like the house of m but have everyone gain there powers back instead of losing them....

Buddha said:
You know they could bring in Scarlet Witch and have her warp reality sort of like the house of m but have everyone gain there powers back instead of losing them....
....And then Bendis and Joey Q can write the movie. They'll set the release date for June 4 of next year, but it will be late and come out two months later. Then it will really feel like a comic book.

Fanged-Hunter said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA

That's right boring.

Again, nobody is asking for a literal translation from comic book to movie. Personally, I wouldn't want to see such an X-men movie - I don't want to see the Shi'ar, etc. But I do expect the basic essence of the movie to be the same as the comic. This does not include: replacing Scott with Logan, Turning Scott into a cameo in a Phoenix story, Logan acting like Scott, preaching teamwork.

And that's just Scott and Logan.

You think Spider-man 1 and 2 were strict adaptations of the comic? Absolutely not. But I thought it was a very good comic book movie. At least Peter Parker IS Peter Parker. What the hell was Wolverine in X3?

*shrugs* I thought it had the most comic elements of the three X-films.

Scott not being in it wasn't a choice I approved of, I didn't like this.

But those who are saying Wolverine has never acted like this? I seem to recall the team leadership being between him and Storm at one time and Storm beat him in the Danger Room trial that decided the answer. And not preaching teamwork? Sure he goes on his own a lot, but I seem to remember him doing nothing but teaching self defense and a little team work to Kitty and later on to Jubilee.

Secondly in the comics, when was the last time we saw Wolverine in true berserker mode? It's been a while since he's torn through enemies with his allies being in danger simply because they were near him.

Removing Cyclops was a bad choice, and I wonder/worry if it was connected to his Superman involvement.

Regardless, if you hated the movie, I don't know what you were looking for. It seemed like it fit in well with the first two to me and balanced between the realistic view Singer started with.

But if you really hated it so much, I can only say don't see it again and don't buy the DVD.

D-scythe said:
Tell me, which of the X-men were actually in character then? Ororo "My attitude makes me the leader" Monroe? Jean, who lusted openly over Logan and became a quiet servant of Magneto? Logan, who became Scott? Scott, who became a cameo? Rogue, who went against everything she stood for and took the cure? Xavier, the jerk?
Xavier is frequently a jerk in the comics. I'll never for one second claim that this flick is comic accurate, but out of the 3 X-flicks presented so far, the ol' addage of 'most comic booky' applies to the Last Stand. What you also need to remember is that 90% of X-Men canon is complete toss, so whilst deviations from comic lore is often frowned upon, I think the changes made are believable within the world set up in X-Men 1, and generally make sense.

Flame on! said:
Xavier is frequently a jerk in the comics. I'll never for one second claim that this flick is comic accurate, but out of the 3 X-flicks presented so far, the ol' addage of 'most comic booky' applies to the Last Stand. What you also need to remember is that 90% of X-Men canon is complete toss, so whilst deviations from comic lore is often frowned upon, I think the changes made are believable within the world set up in X-Men 1, and generally make sense.

Xavier is frequently a jerk? He CAN be a jerk, but since when that has been common place?

Look, I'm not going to try your change your opinion, or question your knowledge of the X-characters. But as an X-man fan I just cannot see how anyone can say X3 stays true to the characters. If Logan didn't have his powers and I didn't know that Jackman was playing him, I woulda honestly mistaken him for Scott.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"