Is your local comic book shop still around?

Mine is still open. They have moved once, but have been open at least 20 years.

Like a couple have mentioned, I go to Graham Crackers comics whenever I have the chance; it's where I get my Heroclix. That is if I don't go to Barnes & Noble.

But one I use to go to when I was still living in the suburbs was Tenth Planet. And they how a get selection of comics, action figures, DVDs and even clothing; and it sucked when one day I went there only to find out they closed.

I used to frequent Tenth Planet off Cicero on 95th Street in that mall...

it was a great place to shop, especially when the place was run by some guy named John, years ago... even when the new owners took over, it maintained the same top-notch quality in every respect...

I thought they had closed, as well, but in reality, they merely moved west on 95th several blocks down (very walkable)... the only thing is, is that the new place is VERY small, VERY dimly-lit and VERY dingy-looking... a FAR cry from it's glory days... these HAVE to be a completely new set of owners that run the place...

supposedly, the cost of the space in their former digs had become exorbitant, so they just folded... and that's a shame... it wasn't my regular place to shop, as it was a bit of a ways from my digs, but whenever passing by there, I ALWAYS made it a point to stop in... a really grand place to shop that had EVERYTHING comics-related...

I miss the old place... :csad:

The one I order comics still around, used to be bigger but they really have gotten smaller and move around finding smaller store. They now sell games and other items besides comics

The two places I've been going to since I was in high school are still in business and in their original locations.

The two places I went to are still around. One moved from way uptown to downtown and much more easily accessible (crazy prices though and a crapton of manga and TCC games) the other was a combo bookstore/comic shop, they opened a separate building for comics but closed it a year later as it couldn't support itself and it remerged.

There are two close to my area here up in North Alabama, but I wouldn't be shocked if both owners are getting deep into debt trying to keep them running.

Yep. Been going strong for a good 20+ years.

I remember collecting Knightfall at this place during its original run.

There's a local comic store but it's a hassle to visit. The entire mid-section is full of guys playing some type of D&D game. They have cards ,figures, and playset. It's a nice set-up but you can't look at comics without bumping into one of them because the place is always full. There's also a pizza place next door and they have a back room to take their food. Maybe it's good for business but it keeps me from going in there.

I hate stores that do those card games. More often than not their selection sucks and it's laid out horribly. It always feels like comics are the unwanted side business of the store to selling card game, heroclix and D&D stuff.

I hate stores that do those card games. More often than not their selection sucks and it's laid out horribly. It always feels like comics are the unwanted side business of the store to selling card game, heroclix and D&D stuff.

sounds like a place close by my house called Collect-A-Card 'n Comics...

a real dive and full of geeky and bad-smelling high school jerks into that Dungeons and Magic Gathering crap that leave their bikes laying allover the sidewalk and blocking the front entrance and then leave their piles of backpacks just inside the doorway...

I have a few comic shops in my area (including one in the mall) all with in 2-3 miles of my house

they seem to be doing alright, enough to stay open, anyway
tho, the one in the mall did recently move to a smaller location (so, maybe they weren't getting enough business to keep up with the higher rent)

a couple of them do have D&D and cards games and such too, but they have a separate playing area in the back for it (they offend host tournaments and such) not personal into that kinda thing but I have a couple of friends who's been to them

Yes. It used to have two other stores as part of a chain and I think they both closed down. The owner's been in the comics business since '69, which is probably part of why the store hasn't closed down. At some point, they'll be reloacting, but at least I'll still have the experience of picking up comics once a month.

Last edited:
This is a problem with some comic shops. They're cluttered and dirty. And they've become very unprofessional. It's the only business I know where the customer is always wrong and they're free to condescend you if they think the comics you're buying suck.

Order my comics online, get TPBs in bookshops or download them digitally.

So true...not very inviting to the general public:o

when i was back in NY, they had a great selection of graphic novels and comics in my Barnes and Noble.

There's one in the city next to me about 20 minutes from my house. But I refuse to go there because of how bad the customer service is. They don't want to help you, don't want to answer a simple question, etc etc.

Torrents are killing archives and so on.
I used to pay through the nose for anything Superman - I have between $10,000 & $20,000 of stuff on the character (sold lots on Ebay) and I have stopped collecting. How long will I collect? Then, I never exactly get the product I would like from DC or they never finish a line or finish it in a way that would be minimally satisfying - so, I gave up on them some 3 years ago. I'm 2 Superman archives late - will get them from Amazon where the price is almost half or so when you buy more than one.
I haven't been to my comic shop in 3 years.
It's funny this would come up because I have thought of opening a comic shop but I wouldn't know where to start and like I said, with torrents - the business is likely to go under, under and under...six feet down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"