It leaves a sour taste in my mouth...

ihateusernames

Civilian
Reaction score
... When people get killed off. I'm talking about The New Warriors, and Alpha Flight.

The thing that upsets me even more about the NW, is that for the past year, we have kind of been waiting for it, well, with Speedball, anyway, although i dont think he is dead.
I just think its dumb that they kill of these characters, and pretty soon, they will be brought back, with a lame excuse no dought.

Come on Marvel, what the bad place? why kill a mass of heros and expect us to be shocked? more often than not, we role our eyes at it and think it was pretty pointless, it's as if they just toss them away because they arnt currently getting used, and they expect everone too agree with their decision because they arnt particulary fond off them. i'd hate to have created characters, only to pick up a book and discover my creations where dead.

I dont know if it's just me that feels this way, so i want to know what your thoughts on the subject are.

I don't think a creation will ever truly die. They will just run out of stories to appear in, if anything. For instance, Peter Parker could be killed, but that doesn't mean another everyman can't take up the webs and swing. Get my gist?

Xofenroht said:
I don't think a creation will ever truly die. They will just run out of stories to appear in, if anything. For instance, Peter Parker could be killed, but that doesn't mean another everyman can't take up the webs and swing. Get my gist?
yeah, i understand that.

the point i am making is when a group of characters are used to make us all go "oh my god! this is serious!", when a lot of the time, we dont think that, we think "well, that could have been handled much better".

Yeah. If you need to have a death, don't force it. Killing off characters because that;s the way the story just progressed, that's fine. But doing it just to do it is bull.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Alpha Flight isn't dead.
i thought they died in NA? i've been off comics the past few weeks due to lack of funds.

ihateusernames said:
i thought they died in NA? i've been off comics the past few weeks due to lack of funds.

From what I understand, the Alpha Flight that died were from the past. And, in Marvel, if something changes the past so drastically or in a manner that it would possibly damage the fabric of reality, the universe just creates a copy of itself where those events happened and keeps the regular timeline the same to protect itself.

The Question said:
From what I understand, the Alpha Flight that died were from the past. And, in Marvel, if something changes the past so drastically or in a manner that it would possibly damage the fabric of reality, the universe just creates a copy of itself where those events happened and keeps the regular timeline the same to protect itself.
oh... ok, well... i guess thats a little better.

but whats the whole point of killing someone as a shock factor, if they are alive anyway :confused:

If killing them off wouldn't actually kill them off, they're expendible. The point of that scene was to say "Holy ****, that guy is powerful. We're ****ed."

yeah ok, i'll accept that then.

but there have been other times when i have read and thought "what the bad place have they done that for? i'm not shocked at all, i'm rather confused?"

i dislike it more so when i know the person writing dosn't like the characters he is killing.

To me comic deaths have little impact now.

At some point in time they WILL return.

Although I do admit to being gutted when Lady Jaye was murdered in GI JOE because when a 'Joe dies they tend to stay dead.

Death is a part of life. As long as it's not a cop-out death, IDGAFF. But, as pointed out, at Marvel death only means a vacation.

The Question said:

...................................................... sarcasm,right?:confused:

Nope. That's how Marvel time travel works.

It does indeed suck....>The only characters that stay dead suck.

But at the same time would you rather have them come back or have copies keep taking thier place?

Only time I ever hate it when peope die in comics is when someone kills them because they don't like them.:mad: Not to move the story or anything but just because they hate everything about them.

So...They don't want to write them and they aren't clever enough to write them out of the book so they start their run off with a "shocking" death

Look, everyone noting the fact that Alpha Flight isn't dead should be winning no-prizes, but that's probably not what the Marvel executives had in mind. They're probably just gonna let half of them survive or something.

Roughneck said:
So...They don't want to write them and they aren't clever enough to write them out of the book so they start their run off with a "shocking" death
That or use them as cannon fodder for some super strong bad guy they could have beat with ease.

Harlekin said:
Look, everyone noting the fact that Alpha Flight isn't dead should be winning no-prizes, but that's probably not what the Marvel executives had in mind. They're probably just gonna let half of them survive or something.

Well Guardian and Puck and Maybe Sasquatch are all in the Civil War Poster.\

And After CivilWar Millar is launching a New Alpha Flight Series.

I just hope that Guardian, Sasquatch, Puck, Puck 2, Yukon Jack and Major Mapleleaf all lived.

Listen, guys being a super hero is a dangerous job. Sooner or later your ticket will be punched. Even Superman died...once at least :)

There were two Alpha Flights running around. This past one that was brought back in New Alpha Flight was the one that got killed.

My guess is, because of Speedball's powers, he got blasted FAR away. My guess is he is in some other country(got there from the blast), or maybe in hiding. He'll reappear, get arrested, and be sent to prison.

death should be a major event for a hero...like Captain Marvel's
it shouldnt be used is a writer doesnt like a character or doesnt have ideas for the character

roach said:
death should be a major event for a hero...like Captain Marvel's
it shouldnt be used is a writer doesnt like a character or doesnt have ideas for the character
exactly. What if a writer had an idea for one of the character then he's killed off by some ash who doesn't understand him and see's no use for him. I just wanna know was there a Consensus that they should have died? or was it the Writers decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"