It's very easy to turn a toy into an adult toy---location, location, location.

Saint553

Superhero
Reaction score
Kids store 'em in bins, toy boxes, under the bed.

Teenagers light 'em on fire. Or play with them behind closed doors.

As an "adult", though, things are different. They aren't toys to be played with, they're toys to be *displayed*. They aren't even toys, they're collectible action figures. They are to be posed in teams, superheroes facing their arch enemies, and representing iconic scenes from our favorite movies, comics, and TV shows. Some collections are displayed in such an overwhelming fashion that you need Google-Earth to get an accurate image of the entire collection. I've seen collections that are so segregated that versions of characters from different eras or mediums don't even come in contact with one another. There's no way that movie Spider-Man could ever come near Marvel Legends 8 Doc Ock. Others don't care about the medium or "universe" the character comes from; movie Iron Man is smackin' the ass of Wonder Woman while chatting with Buffy the Vampire slayer.

I used to display my collection as if my room was just a display with a bed, TV, and computer in it. Wall to wall, floor to ceiling, if there was open space, it was occupied. While some friends who were into the hobby liked it and were impressed, sometimes bringing a lady in would put a look on their face like they just walked into Pee Wee's Playhouse. If someone who didn't really understand the hobby, there were often a few eyebrows raised or some questions to be asked. Usually it was "is this your little brother's room?" It was semi-segregated but I had what I felt was the best version of the iconic character. Do I really need 7 different Wolverines running around? 14 versions of Spider-Man? Probably, but I didn't.

Lately I've been a lot more modest. I have one shelf that I rotate every other month or so with a display of several random figures. It's never just ML, just DC, or anything. Right now I have what remains of a "Christmas Display" with Lord of the Rings, Muppets, DC, Marvel, Pirates of the Carribean....I dunno, random stuff. Part of the reason for a much smaller display is that my room is a lot smaller since I moved. I also wanted to "mature" my room some as I began dating again.

What about you? What's your display philosophy? Do you believe in PDA (public display of action-figures) or are you a private viewer? Do you have a huge collection or just collect a few to sit on your book shelf because they were just cool?

Last edited:
I also had a crazy room with all of my batman stuff displayed everywhere, but while I was home from college for Christmas I decided to change it up a little bit. I cleaned my room and decided I would consolidate all my batman memorabilia I wished to display to two shelves of my large bookshelf. The merchandise is packed very very tightly, but it does all fit. I actually have another little section of action figures displayed in my entertainment center, but you can hardly see them, which was the plan. I have to say my room looks much much better and now when I need to dust it should be a lot easier because I can just clear the shelf off, dust, and be done. I won't have to dust my entire room to clean my collection.

Before I moved out of my folks' house, my bedroom was wall to wall MOC figures. I didn't have wallpaper, I had action figures. No empty space. 90's Spider-Man and Star Wars figs with the orange and then green cards. Those were the days.

Then I got married, boxed up all my stuff, and now it all resides in the basement. Which is cool because I have tons more room and put out whatever I want. But, my carded Star Wars and 90's Spider-Man are still boxed and I devoted most of my shelf space to Marvel Legends.

I will say, however, having all my toys hanging on my bedroom walls did NOT deter my chances with the ladies, well, one lady. You can have toys and still be an adult and get married. :cwink:

I as well had my room... FILLED with figures... i had so many that i expanded into the hallway to my room. More shelves were built or i'd pick up book shelves off the side of the road for more space... it was pretty bad i guess lol...

But i moved in with my woman (No, toys never stopped the ladies coming over... some were actually intrigued with how i had some scaling the walls or appear flying from the ceiling)... anyway.. i've cut down my collection to just Movie action figures. So really i have my Marvel (not a DC fan) movie figures... Buffy... Muppets... and the only ANYTHING figures i have up are my whole TMNT collection. And yes i still managed to cut more then half lol. Alot are still boxed and some ready to be on their way to ebay someday.

I still browse the toy stores n say, "i wish i was still collecting"... because i somewhat love the hunt of finding every figure needed. Never really went the easy route n ordered online unless i strongly needed to.

Right now most of figs are still MOC hanging from the wall of the boiler/storage section of my basement. I have a handful of figures currently displayed in the family section of the basement on the bar and adjoining shelves. My wife doesn’t seem to mind yet cause I am the only one that spends much time in that area and there are10 figs at most. My daughter is only 3 so she can’t reach the figures, but everyone now & then she'll say she like my toys.

When I have company over most of them make a few quick comments/question but most ppl simply ignore them. The boiler room is in another matter all together. Whenever someone has happened to enter that area they are surprised to see I have so many figures.

my girl friend loves my toys . and toys her self she has a collection . we play rpg games together and go on toy hunts . we wacth anime box sets and stil bang . i found the most amazing gf 4 ever . when we get married she said i can have a room devoted to toys and that nature stuff [=

My wife doesn’t seem to mind yet cause I am the only one that spends much time in that area and there are10 figs at most.

My wife is the same way. She never comes down there anyway, so she's like "Do whatever you want down there. I don't give a ****."

Like my own personal BatCave!!

I've been collecting Batman for almost my whole life (19 years). I went through high school being very open about my obsession to the point where everyone knew me as Batman. I've brought many girls down to the cave, and if anything, it improved my chances because they thought my hobby was cute. :cwink:

I've expanded past only buying Batman merchandise and started collecting the DCUC line, G.I. Joe and also some Marvel stuff. I also have a small shelf for Arnold Schwarzenegger merchandise. And I like to keep everything separate from each other. Each series of figures I buy have their own shelving unit.

As a kid, like most, I didn't give a crap who I was in front of. I'd play with figs or my legos and be in my own little world. I was 6-7 when my younger brother was born so by the time I was 12-13 he was big enough to like toys and we enjoyed playing with plenty of stuff together. Although there's the story of me disowning him when he was maybe 1-2yrs old after he'd chewed on one of my He-Man fig's head and left it all to hell. Nevertheless we enjoyed countless hours with Joes and Ninja Turtles. When the X-Men cartoon came out we watched it all the time, I still have a few episodes (mainly the entire Savage Land saga) recorded on VHS. We had nearly every figure from the X-Men lines and we had plenty of fun. As I grew up into teen years I mainly started drifting away. As crappy as they were I pretty much was only into wrestling figs (WWE Bone Crunchers and expecially had fun with the Joe-ish ECW line) since I was always a wrestling fan but I just happened to be more into it and not so much other stuff. About the only thing comic book related that held onto my mind at the time was B:TAS, Batman: The Animated Series. It was the coolest cartoon I'd ever watched. Got me into Batman almost single handedly too. I mean, I knew about Batman through the old Adam West show and was definitely amazed with the '89 movie but the cartoon had these stories that were flat out kick ass. The Two-Face saga and the Clayface saga are still my favs. The Joker stuff was also great but the other two were top notch IMO. So, I hit teen years, hardly paid any attention to figs, my brother collected alotta WWE Bone Crunchers and aside from "wrestling matches" I'd have with either friends my age in a backyard or with my brother in our rooms we'd play and set up entire shows (pay-per-views) with the figures. But buying figures wasn't in me. I never looked around at any, didn't keep up with stuff I used to love like the Joes and other lines. It just kinda went away.

Then my cousin called me up one day. He'd moved away when I was about 10-11 with his family out to west Texas. He was a year older and kinda got me into reading comics because we both loved to draw. So we'd draw together and talk about some of the stuff we read, which was mostly X-Men of the 90's. First comic book I've ever bought was the foldout wraparound cover of X-Men #1 by Jim Lee at a small comic shop thats been long closed here. Now there's some lingerie store or whatever in that same area. No love for comics here apparently, only skimpy sex garb and novelties. So my cousin tells me X-Men is gonna come out on film. It was like a spark went off and ignited the kid in me again. It was a cool movie at the time, I'll admit, even though its all outta wack with the changes but for what it was I liked it. And whddaya know, I actually scored a few of the figures. Mainly this TRU exclusive Wolvie with a motorcycle. Compared to the mega-articulated MLs the fig was crappy but the damage was done. I jumped into ML several waves in so it wasn;t terribly difficult to get some of the earlier figs. But then I jumped into DC Direct and Cult Classics and this and that and its been a whirlwind. At first I was somewhat ashamed that I was this big kid posing as a husband and father of 2 hiding my figs in boxes and only taking them out from time to time but eventually once I was deep into the ML madness I had figs displayed all over the place. I had to tone it down a few notches though since the collection got too huge for the amount of room I have so I trimmed the fat and now have a decent collection that is able to be almost completely displayed from time to time.

my display philosophy used to be all nice and organized on a bunch of shelves
now ive decided im going to buy a couple storage bins and throw them all in there,theres no way my sons ever going to let them stand up on a shelf until he outgrows them

My whole collection used to be about buying anything I liked.
I'd go into town with £50 and knew I'd be coming home with something to display.
Then after I moved out for the first time, I realized I can't actually afford that anymore, so I cut my collecting down to just Transformers.
Since then my collections mostly gone from being slapped all around the room, to being in boxes, and my transformers on a bookcase I got.

Well I pretty much collect a lot of Spider-man stuff.I Got Spider-man classics,Minimates,Movie figures,Busts and Mighty muggs.I also have a great amount of Marvel legends.I got a bookcase and each shelf has a theme.X-men,Marvel Knights Avengers,Etc.I started getting Dc universe And will have a shelf for Batman and A shelf for JLA and Dc Villains.I also got TMNT from Neca and they have their own shelf.Got some DBZ stuff which is displayed with the season sets behind the Figs.

Did no one notice the awesome pun that the title of this thread is?

A toy is always a toy no matter what you do with it or where you display it. won't change the fact its a toy

Think dirtier.

Like, adult toy store dirty.

Actually I worded my answer "A toy is always a toy no matter what you do with it or where you put it. Won't change the fact its a toy" and I thought "....where you put it? Nope, better change that because everyone will now think that I'M the guy that stuffs the mushroom head of a Mighty Muggs Spidey up my fudgemaker".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"