Far From Home Jake Gyllenhaal is...Mysterio?

I'd opt for something like this in terms of design. Very much classic inspired but has a ominous aura about it that could easily warrant itself to a more serious approach.

Also has the fishbowl with the character's face still being present.

mysterio__fan_art_by_rezblack-d7lin9c.jpg

I once had this idea for a very realistic approach to Mysterio's suit. Seeing how Marvel gave Vulture a real purpose for his wings and claws and even his mask, I think they're going for something similar for Mysterio.

What do we know about Quentin Beck?
He's an actor, he's specialized in VFX..
And what would he need to get his job done?
A mocap-suit!

Mocap suits do look weird. They have all these dots, markings and stuff. Some of them look very intricate in their design. Look at this for example:
Last-Jedi-Snoke-Behind-Scenes-Video-Andy-Serkis.jpg

Now, why the green? Why is Mysterio green? We know the answer of course, most of Spidey's villains are either green or purple, which were the cheapest colors in Marvel's early days.
But why would he be green in the movie?
The answer is green screen techniqe of course! :)

If Vulture and Shocker were anything to go by, then Mysterio will look very different from his comic book counterpart.

If Vulture and Shocker were anything to go by, then Mysterio will look very different from his comic book counterpart.

You could argue Vulture and Shocker needed to be updated somewhat. I would've preferred a more classic look to Vulture but his updated look grew on me over time. Shocker's was a mere jacket with gauntlets.

Mysterio's look, however, is iconic and to tamper with that is treading dangerous territory. Part of his appeal is the giant fishbowl after all.

I'm excited for Tom too. He's said on multiple occasions that if he could star in a movie with anyone it'd be Jake so I know he's excited.

When they announced the filming locations for the movie, my Spidey senses gave me a feeling that they were gonna use Mysterio.

I'm here for it.

I think the classic, 60s Mysterio is perfect for the general tone of the MCU, so my preference is for him to be silly as well.

Except how would a silly Mysterio carry an entire movie as the main villain? A main villain needs to be menacing and threatening, a goofy campy Mysterio will not seem to be a threat at all Mysterio needs to be truly ruthless to be a threat.

You could argue Vulture and Shocker needed to be updated somewhat. I would've preferred a more classic look to Vulture but his updated look grew on me over time. Shocker's was a mere jacket with gauntlets.

Mysterio's look, however, is iconic and to tamper with that is treading dangerous territory. Part of his appeal is the giant fishbowl after all.

Mysterio is pretty well a B-list villain in the comics, I do not think his look is so iconic that it cannot be changed.

Last edited:

And the tech came from the Tinkerer (who is in Prison) which had a very makeshift, crude look. So there's no reason why Mysterio has to follow the same design parameters

I do think the look will be upgraded, but I do expect he'll have a glassy mask in any case.

Yeah, Vulture in particular needed an update.

latest

In all fairness... I didn't either. For sure, thought he'd take on the titular role of Batman.

I wasn’t sure that would happen to be fair but even if I was spitballing, would take me a few years to come up with this combo. Gyllenhaal is the man so he can surely make it work.

I would like a creepy modern performer magician vibe to Mysterio. With the tone this series has, I think that's the best direction. And I would prefer if they didn't do the classic suit. Not the ultimate design either, something fresh and stylish

Honestly I feel like Shocker and Vulture, something that is a callback to the 616 (As well as Ultimate look which I biasedly admit I prefer, and some of the video game) looks of Mysterio but fits in more of the make-shift/everyman feel of Spidey's part of the MCU like Vulture and Shocker(S). If anything, it will be interested in how they will play into his theatrical elements in this film.

I'd opt for something like this in terms of design. Very much classic inspired but has a ominous aura about it that could easily warrant itself to a more serious approach.

This would be perfect :up:

tumblr_p3v7s3QDB91u1o4eto1_1280.jpg

Just add a cape and this is more or less how I'm expecting him to look.

tumblr_p3v7s3QDB91u1o4eto1_1280.jpg

Just add a cape and this is more or less how I'm expecting him to look.
Beck isn't a military veteran. He's a special effects expert. His look should be theatrical and mysterious on the exterior not the next Call of Duty game

I don't like it either, but that's my prediction.

I don't like it either, but that's my prediction.
I think Marvel should apply a completely different thought proccess to Mysterio when designing his look. He isn't like Vulture, his entire shtick is that he's a theatrical SFX wizard. The art you posted is what he could look like when Spidey pulls back the certain. I imagine the mechanical parts being under a fabric mesh kinda like the Ben Affleck Batman suit. Beck should try to appear as supernatural as possible.

I mean Vulture's backstory and origin was completely changed from the comics, in the MCU. I don't expect anything out of the MCU Mysterio yet, outside of him looking suspiciously like Jake Gyllenhaal.

For all we know, he could be a military man. I do hope they stick with the FX artist thing though. I don't want him to be an actual sorcerer.

Think it would be pretty cool if we get some type of spooky/trippy sequence in the same vein as the big Dr. Strange sequence where Peter is entrapped within a "haunted house" of spectacle if you will.

I could see Spidey thinking Mysterio is some sort of sorcerer but him not actually being one

Bruh this is just the classic Mysterio design painted in a serious vignette.

Awesome news. Mysterio has been my choice for the villain this time around for quite some time. And while he wasn't someone who I saw in the role, it'll be interesting to see how Gyllenhaal approaches this.

Also cool to see Keaton is coming back and that they seem to be building up to the Sinister Six.

Hopefully they're building up the S6 the right way. Not something that is completely rushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"