Far From Home Jake Gyllenhaal is...Mysterio?

For me, Mysterio was always about the visuals rather than the character. Just like Rhino was all about muscle than character. That's way I had no problem with Mysterio's bombastic chewing the scenery performance.

Jake Gyllenhaal was brilliant as Mysterio, he actually made Mysterio interesting as I'm not a huge fan of the character. That first illiusion fight he had with Spider-Man is probably my favourite fight sequence ever in a Spider-Man movie. I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of this character.

I feel like Mysterio was a team of people rather than just Beck. So even if Beck is really dead, his other team members could “resurrect” him via an illusion in a sequel

For me, Mysterio was always about the visuals rather than the character. Just like Rhino was all about muscle than character. That's way I had no problem with Mysterio's bombastic chewing the scenery performance.
See... I wish it was at least bombastic and scenery chewing to match the illusions. Instead I found Beck dull as dish water from start to finish. Neither entertaining nor menacing with nothing particularly memorable.

I feel like Mysterio was a team of people rather than just Beck. So even if Beck is really dead, his other team members could “resurrect” him via an illusion in a sequel
This is what I think will come into play since they made a note to show Billingsley's character from IM1 get away obviously with some kind of backdoor to EDITH.

See... I wish it was at least bombastic and scenery chewing to match the illusions. Instead I found Beck dull as dish water from start to finish. Neither entertaining nor menacing with nothing particularly memorable.
I'm having an extremely difficult time understanding where you're coming from. Please don't take offense to this, but I feel like I'm reading an Armond White review, where you're deliberately saying the opposite of the popular opinion. I know you're not, but that just goes to show how impressed I was by the performance and character.

I'm having an extremely difficult time understanding where you're coming from. Please don't take offense to this, but I feel like I'm reading an Armond White review, where you're deliberately saying the opposite of the popular opinion. I know you're not, but that just goes to show how impressed I was by the performance and character.

Jake G. is a very good performer, but there was nothing memorable in this performance. I ADORE HC. I'm not anti-MCU Spidey and I'm not up in arms over the changes to stuff like MJ's race or character. I don't particularly care about the way MCU Peter idolizes Tony Stark and I know Uncle Ben is still in his origin in the MCU so him not being mentioned yet is no skin off my nose. I enjoyed Holland's Spidey in CW, HC and in IW/EG and have defended him with my own friends one of whom simply thinks MCU Spidey is "trash". I don't have an agenda in talking down this film or Mysterio as the villain... But I found it all rather rote and dull despite all the pyrotechnics and CGI. And Beck as the villain did nothing to liven the proceedings. I don't get anyone's POV that he was this masterful and engaging villain. As I've stated here before, I will give that there are two sequences which are indeed the way they are realized probably as good as a Mysterio vs. Spidey confrontation could be done today. But outside of those two scenes I felt the character was flat and uninteresting from the start and felt no different when the film ended. And that's par for the course in regards to the entire film.

Jake was superb. It’s been so long since we’ve seen an actor literally change before your eyes just by controlling their face. I had such high hopes for mysterio and he exceeded them.

In a way this is the age of mysterio, he’s the perfect villain for the fake news and deep fakes era. He needs to make a comeback in the comics in a big way

i hope he’s not dead. Mysterio is a very easy character to bring back, it just depends on if Jake wants to come back. I will miss him if he doesn’t appear in the sinister six

They nailed it. I admit when the "reveal" first happens and that he starts doing his speech I wasn't sure I was on board...but good god by the end!?They nailed it.

It felt perfectly in character, since ultimately. . .

Quentin Beck was motivated by glory and respect more than anything else. And that kind of person? Would want the opportunity to brag about their achievements, even if its to a crowd of people who already know. Plus, it serves double duty: he clearly was the leader who organized and motivated them all, this showed him as being capable of doing so.

I loved this realisation of Mysterio. I had no idea how they could achieve it realistically on film but they’ve done it well. And you can’t go wrong with Jake.

Jake G. is a very good performer, but there was nothing memorable in this performance. I ADORE HC. I'm not anti-MCU Spidey and I'm not up in arms over the changes to stuff like MJ's race or character. I don't particularly care about the way MCU Peter idolizes Tony Stark and I know Uncle Ben is still in his origin in the MCU so him not being mentioned yet is no skin off my nose. I enjoyed Holland's Spidey in CW, HC and in IW/EG and have defended him with my own friends one of whom simply thinks MCU Spidey is "trash". I don't have an agenda in talking down this film or Mysterio as the villain... But I found it all rather rote and dull despite all the pyrotechnics and CGI. And Beck as the villain did nothing to liven the proceedings. I don't get anyone's POV that he was this masterful and engaging villain. As I've stated here before, I will give that there are two sequences which are indeed the way they are realized probably as good as a Mysterio vs. Spidey confrontation could be done today. But outside of those two scenes I felt the character was flat and uninteresting from the start and felt no different when the film ended. And that's par for the course in regards to the entire film.

You know... for me.... I was surprised at how small the film felt. This was not an epic journey in which Peter becomes the great hero. This really felt more like a chance encounter with a powered-up guy, and it never really felt like it was going to be of consequence. This was all about Peter, and not about the situation.. and so it's natural that Mysterio would come off a little dull. I, myself, imagined over the years all the cool ways that Mystery could pose as this one of a kind, really dramatic antagonist, and this was not that.

I know that's not really your issue, but I think the understated quality of Jake's portrayal was on purpose... and I think that could be a reason that it came off flat. I do think that he showed a lot of character in this movie. His portraya felt fully realized to me... you got the eccentric nature of him...the narcissistic, aggrieved performer quality. So it was no fault of Gyllenhaal. I find it kind of unfortunate that Mystery feels like such a one-and-done inconsequential character. Vulture felt much more impactful and much more menacing, honestly.

So do you think he can still appear in the sinister 6?

I thought it was very clever how they connected the first Iron Man movie and Civil War. I had a big grin on my face when they showed the flashbacks
Yeah, I certainly wasn’t expecting the Iron Man 1 links.

I hope they find a way to bring him back, him and Keaton teaming up alone would be worth the price of admission.

With how well received Mysterio has been I'd be surprised if they didn't bring him back, and considering the nature of the character there isn't exactly a shortage of ways to explain his return.

EDIT: SORRY, BUT WE CAN'T HAVE BOOTLEG MATERIAL ON THE FORUM

- Schlosser

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd remove that @Michael Frost , I'm pretty sure posting that sort of stuff will get you a paddlin'

giphy.gif

Jake Gyllenhaal blew me away. His energy and enthusiasm as Mysterio was a treat to behold.

With how well received Mysterio has been I'd be surprised if they didn't bring him back, and considering the nature of the character there isn't exactly a shortage of ways to explain his return.

Yeah even if Jake didn’t want to come back they could even cast like, Danny devito or someone. I mean, if you were the master of illusion you would probably make yourself look like Jake Gyllenhaal too

You’re right that would be a cool team up especially if you add whoever they get to play doc ock. That would be insane even
Yeah, you need Ock. Once you have him as well things get crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"