Far From Home Jake Gyllenhaal is...Mysterio?

Eh, I don't see it. I don't see a world where he isn't conning them somehow. Beck's going to be evil.

Yeah. I actually suspect that if he is from another reality , he may have already encountered and have a history with that reality's version of Spiderman.

Perhaps in this reality he thinks he can be the "hero" and get one up on Spiderman.

If I've learned anything from Mysterio is to not be so easily taken in by his performance. It's not uncommon for Beck to play the part of a hero. He had everyone hood winked in the 90s Spider-Man Animated series when he first appeared.

I’m not so concerned about the source of Beck’s powers, but I do want him to be the villain. He’s a con man at heart, so I really want his story about being from another dimension to be a lie. I’m hoping that the destruction caused by the elementals is a cover for robberies or some such that he is committing.

Maybe he just wants to be seen as a hero so he is setting up these attacks so he can defeat them.

Last edited:
Untitled-8-copy.gif

I knew it was only a matter of time before we Mysterio on the big screen but I never expected him to look this perfect.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jake-gyllenhaals-excitement-over-his-mysterio-costume-l-1830866389

We can thank Jake for the costume being as practical as possible and the character wearing it as much as possible.

Zod bless you, Gyllenhaal.

His costume is gorgeous. I kind of wish they modified his voice when wearing the fish bowl.

I’m not so concerned about the source of Beck’s powers, but I do want him to be the villain. He’s a con man at heart, so I really want his story about being from another dimension to be a lie. I’m hoping that the destruction caused by the elementals is a cover for robberies or some such that he is committing.

Maybe he just wants to be seen as a hero so he is setting up these attacks so he can defeat them.

I have heard some stuff that says Mysterio may be more psychopathic here then he is 616 Spider-Man comics, but that is a characterization we see from Mysterio in Daredevil, Old Man Logan and his crossover into the Ultimate Universe, so this has shown up on the page before.

The problem is in the Spider-Man comics, Mysterio stories are often about his gimmicks rather than deep characterization.

Also, it could be that Mysterio does not care if people die while he sets up fake stunts to make himself look heroic, it seems the stunts themselves are a goal, he can gain more fame and money by presenting him as a public hero, then could simply using these stunts as cover for petty robberies. If he is a public hero, he could get a bunch of endorsement deals, why risk that with some petty crimes?

I always feel like making Mysterio's motive greed is a mistake, most Spidey villains are greedy, that is a pretty basic motive. For Mysterio. greed should be a secondary motive, for him the primary motive should lust for fame, Mysterio's MO makes far more sense if his goal is fame rather then just money.

I actually think psychopathic glory hound is the path I would suggest for him if Vulture had a sense of honor, Mysterio having none is a great contrast and Mysterio's willing to endanger human lives is a bigger stakes affair then him just robbing a bank.

The fact is someone can be a con man and a murderous psychopath, those are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Last edited:
Props to Kevin Feige and the writers, What they did with Mysterio was damn brilliant. I was very impressed by how the character was used in the film. Dare I say Jake Gyllenhaal was even better than Michael Keaton was as The Vulture. The costume looked phenomenal and they made the Fishbowl work spectacularly. I also liked how Michael Giacchino crafted a clever piece of heroic music for Mysterio with a twist to mirror Spidey's own theme.

Mysterio absolutely stole the show.

Amazing costume, showcase of powers and creativity in the illusions.

His illusion scenes were some of the best things the MCU has ever done. He could have been tricky to translate from page to screen, but they absolutely nailed it.
Agreed. It took a while to get a feeling for Mysterio, but those illusion scenes were just fantastic.

So basically Quentin took the persona characteristics qualities of Captain America, the guise of Thor, mixed with the powers of Dr. Strange and tech like Iron Man to craft the illusion of Mysterio.

I'm shocked how well this character worked in live action. I've always wondered how they could pull off Mysterio ever since I watched the character in the 90's show. The adjustments they made to his origin worked so well.

That as possibly one of the greatest MCU fights- Spidey vs Mysterio first fight-that had no right to be that mesmerizing but it was truly I bet of the greatest visual spectacles ever witnessed in the MCU and possibly ever

So basically Quentin took the persona characteristics qualities of Captain America, the guise of Thor, mixed with the powers of Dr. Strange and tech like Iron Man to craft the illusion of Mysterio.

Imagine how Feige will execute/deliver Doctor Doom on screen

Having just seen the movie a little over a hour and a half ago I never thought he could be this good. I thought vulture they did a great job with in HC but this movie and Mysterio was a lot better than Vulture. The visuals and action was just out of this world right up there with spiderman 2 action and the one scence right up there with the train fight even though I would still give the edge to the train fight. The acting and motivation of him was create and the costume was just perfect to.

I don't want to believe that Beck's character is dead after such an excellent performance :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like they pulled that stuff straight out of my brain and put it on the screen. Any time people in the past were saying Mysterio couldn't work in a movie, I was thinking about stuff like that. I'm glad they got some true believer's making these things because with a Mysterio like that you can tell they care. The mocap suit was wonderful.

I like the character,possibly my favorite MCU villain right now
The design,personality,skills make him stand out so much from the rest
Without spider sense, no one could stand a chance against his illusions

He is up there with Baron Zemo as one of the best MCU villains imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back