James Bond: 007 - Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems people will move on when Idris Elba is cast as James Bond.

I'm black and don't want Bond to be black either. I understand that when certain charcaters were created, racial diversity was not the norm but i don't think we should change the race of every iconic character just to be PC. I'm all for changing secondary characters though, i.e Perry White….i could see JJ Jamerson of the Bugle being another ethnicity also, but changing characters like Bond, Spider-Man, Superman - seeing as how they're iconic, is overkill on the PC meter.

I'm black as well and don't see the need to change the race of a variety of characters.

I would much rather see black and ethnic minority actors given the chance to create our own iconic characters than try and piggy back off the success of a pre-existing character.

Give Idris Elba the opportunity to make his Luther movie he so badly wants. Luther is a role Elba has already made a big stamp on.

I'm black as well and don't see the need to change the race of a variety of characters.

I would much rather see black and ethnic minority actors given the chance to create our own iconic characters than try and piggy back off the success of a pre-existing character.

Give Idris Elba the opportunity to make his Luther movie he so badly wants. Luther is a role Elba has already made a big stamp on.

On a side note, i'm dreading the American version of Luther. Idris is Luther!

I'm really sick of this discussion.

If you want a black action hero, then make one, don't steal a character who has been written for his entire existence as a white old money Englishman, turn him black, and try to call him "James Bond", because he will not be.

Also, anyone still calling James Bond a code name has no idea what they're talking about and doesn't belong in a serious discussion about the character.

True progress in racial diversity in film will come with original ethnic minority heroes, not piggybacking off a pre-existing white character and trying to turn them black to meet some diversity quota.

It's cheap pandering.

I'm black and don't want Bond to be black either. I understand that when certain charcaters were created, racial diversity was not the norm but i don't think we should change the race of every iconic character just to be PC. I'm all for changing secondary characters though, i.e Perry White….i could see JJ Jamerson of the Bugle being another ethnicity also, but changing characters like Bond, Spider-Man, Superman - seeing as how they're iconic, is overkill on the PC meter.

I agree with everything except Superman. Superman's not even human, and all we know is that he's drawn with fair skin and black hair. As long as the actor playing him has fair skin and black hair, then it's accurate, unless we can find ourselves some actual Kryptonian actors.

Part of the problem is that filmmakers, comics creators, ect would rather trade off a pre-existing brand or character than invest in a new character. They think making *character A* a different ethnicity is a safer option than creating a brand new character from scratch with his own identity.

Instead of making Bond a different race why not introduce a ethnic minority double 00 agent in a Bond film and then spin it off into a new franchise.

You can still feature characters like M, Q, Moneypenny and Tanner while also exploring a different character to Bond. You can do things with this new character that you never would be able to do with Bond due to the fans and audiences expectations of the character.

Sort of like what they did with Bourne Legacy except not s***.

As for "Black Bond" discussions I'm a little confused as to why everyone acts like Idris Elba is the only black British actor in existence.

If you want a black action hero, then make one, don't steal a character who has been written for his entire existence as a white old money Englishman, turn him black, and try to call him "James Bond", because he will not be.

Also, anyone still calling James Bond a code name has no idea what they're talking about and doesn't belong in a serious discussion about the character.

True progress in racial diversity in film will come with original ethnic minority heroes, not piggybacking off a pre-existing white character and trying to turn them black to meet some diversity quota.

It's cheap pandering.

This all the way!!!! It's pretty much part of why I can't be arsed with The Flash (especially as part of giving us New52 Wally) and most likely won't bother with Preacher w/ their Black!Tulip (plus I loathe Seth Rogen) nor Supergirl*.

What's wrong with giving us a new character in vein of Diggle & Chloe. More to the point, what's wrong with having Ron Troupe instead of racebending Jimmy Olsen?

As for "Black Bond" discussions I'm a little confused as to why everyone acts like Idris Elba is the only black British actor in existence.

Or why diversity arguments always center around characters having to be black. There aren't other races in the world? Ones less well represented in Western cinema?

Asians have it pretty terrible in Hollywood movies. If your an Asian guy your either a martial artist, comic relief or wise spiritual mentor.

British Pakistani actor Riz Ahmed said 99% of the roles he gets offered in Hollywood are to play terrorists just because of his ethnic background.

When Hollywood does make a heroic middle eastern lead role it is going to white guys like in Prince Of Persia and Exodus: Gods & Kings.

It's cheap pandering.

tumblr_m1nqpsQIcI1qbvaudo2_500.gif

It's cheap pandering.

Add me to the list of black people who believe in this 100%. It is pandering. It is gimmicky to me. He'd be black Bond. He'd be primarily known as the black one and I have no interest in that, and more importantly I want characters as big as Bond to stay as they are. I don't want a black James Bond, A Black Spider-Man, a Black Batman. I don't need those things. New characters is what I need. Give me something new. Give me a secret agent/assassin who is black and that will will make me incredibly happy, but a new character.

It's cheap pandering.
Well put good sir.

Add me to the list of black people who believe in this 100%. It is pandering. It is gimmicky to me. He'd be black Bond. He'd be primarily known as the black one and I have no interest in that, and more importantly I want characters as big as Bond to stay as they are. I don't want a black James Bond, A Black Spider-Man, a Black Batman. I don't need those things. New characters is what I need. Give me something new. Give me a secret agent/assassin who is black and that will will make me incredibly happy, but a new character.
This is so beyond true.

Count me in as being infuriated at the so-called Black Emmanuelle. Is nothing sacred?! :argh:

Wasn't there a studio exec who mentioned Elba?

Lawd.

No matter how much ya'll try to spin it....The GA won't care either way. We are the ones obsessing over every little detail and casting, they don't care. I can only imagine this place when Craig was announced.

It probably won't happen though.

This all the way!!!! It's pretty much part of why I can't be arsed with The Flash (especially as part of giving us New52 Wally) and most likely won't bother with Preacher w/ their Black!Tulip (plus I loathe Seth Rogen) nor Supergirl*.

What's wrong with giving us a new character in vein of Diggle & Chloe. More to the point, what's wrong with having Ron Troupe instead of racebending Jimmy Olsen?

Oh lawd.

Come on, mane.

AMC won't shed tears.

I'm shocked to no one's having a meltdown about Will Smith being Deadshot....I guess that's because Deadshot is a bad guy. :o

I think there will be a non-White Bond eventually. I can't see another 50 years of multicultural society with only white actors in the role. I wouldn't be upset about it about it either to be honest.

I just hope they cast a minority actor because they are great in the role and not as some sort of half hearted pandering gimmick to appease the tumblr social injustice bandwagon brigade.

Deadshot is also a D-list character, and race is largely irrelevant for him.

I don't really want a non-white Bond, but the arguments against a non-white Doctor (Doctor Who) or a female Doctor are ridic.

As bad as it is, if we're the bad guy fanboys don't give two ****s about it. But you betta not race lift their heroes, boy. SLJ being cast as Valentine in Kingsman got not one **** given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"