James Bond In Skyfall - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderball is great, but it has serious pacing issues that hurts the movie.

A lot of them from those boring dragged out under water scenes, which even Terence Young himself complained about.

That, and the lack of urgency in the movie. In Goldfinger, he doesn't is whatever he can in order to escape and ruin operation grand slam. In Thunderball, he tends to just bide his time. It has bothered me the last few times I watched Thunderball.

It does suck that they postponed On Her Majesty's Secret Service twice in a row and once they got around to it, Connery had left. Obviously that one would have provided much more of a challenge for Connery.

While it would have been interesting to see Connery in OHMSS, I feel like Lazenby did great with what he had. In fact, I think Diamonds Are Forever would be much better received today by Bond fans if Lazenby had returned as Bond one more time, Savalas had reprised his role as Blofeld, and the film overall took a much darker tone as more of a revenge film.

Oh hey, a modern blockbuster movie where the music isn't blasting in every scene! What blasphemy is this!

My top Bond films are going to have some bash me but hee's go

1:From Russia with Love-10/10
2:Goldeneye-10/10
3:On her Majestry's secret service-10/10
4:You only Live Twice -9/10
5:The world Is Not enough-9/10
6:For Your eyes Only-8/10
7:Dr No-8/10
8:The Spy Who Love Me-8/10
9:Goldfinger-8/10
10:Octopussy-7/10

Good clip but you can tell craig is starting to show some age at least in the face. Although he never looked all that fresh faced you can argue. Maybe it was because i just re-watched quantum and 4 years can make a difference i suppose.

Good clip but you can tell craig is starting to show some age at least in the face. Although he never looked all that fresh faced you can argue. Maybe it was because i just re-watched quantum and 4 years can make a difference i suppose.

Agreed, but I think he is aging better than Moore or Brosnan in terms of his aging features still suiting the character. Because Craig's face is already rugged to begin with, the added wrinkles and lines suit him, especially now that he is portraying what appears to be the jaded, cynic and burnt out Bond of the later novels. Speaking of which, it's interesting that Skyfall seems to make the same jump in Bond's career that occurs in TDKR. After two films about the hero's formative years, we jump straight to a point in time where the hero is past his prime, having skipped his prime years entirely. Interesting... I have to say I'm a lot more comfortable with it here because it is implied that Bond's prime actually occurred, that he spent the intervening years between films as an active agent. Moreover, an over the hill Bond is rather consistent with the novels. From Thunderball onwards, Fleming often hinted that Bond's lifestyle was catching up with him and he was no longer in the same shape.

Last edited:
I can't help but feel like this was something the studio insisted

6 years ago we had a Bond who was rough around the edges

Then(QOS)we still get a Bond who's learning the curves. Now we get someone who's past his prime? In roughly 6 years?

It's like they thought "Okay fast forward the story. He's progressing too slowly"

I think the "Past his prime" aspect would have worked better if Craig had more movies under his belt. It almost looks like the end for Craig but we all know it's not since he's signed on for more sequels.

I can't help but feel like this was something the studio insisted

6 years ago we had a Bond who was rough around the edges

Then(QOS)we still get a Bond who's learning the curves. Now we get someone who's past his prime? In roughly 6 years?

It's like they thought "Okay fast forward the story. He's progressing too slowly"

I think the "Past his prime" aspect would have worked better if Craig had more movies under his belt. It almost looks like the end for Craig but we all know it's not since he's signed on for more sequels.

I think it has lot to do with what Fleming ideas are still unused at this point. Because the movie series treated Bond as an unaging superman for so long, the plotlines of Bond dealing with his age, nervous breakdowns, and the imminence of retirement were often cut out of the later Fleming stories when they were adapted for the screen. As a result, those ideas are still sitting around unused. Given how successful going back to Fleming was for CR, it only makes sense that they would scour the well for every last drop. I'm looking forward to Craig playing an aging Bond in his remaining outings. It will be fresh ground for the character and will hopefully allow for the writers to churn out more unique and interesting scripts, even if it means that we will have missed out on seeing Craig's version of Bond in his prime.

Part of why I love Thunderball is the chilled out and laid-back feeling. And sorry but I don't see the Connery getting jaded thing in Thunderball at all, I think he delivered with everything. Laid-back does not equal bored here.

The biggest reason CR is my number one is because of how beautiful and tragic the love-story is, totally wrecked my heart and I never expected that in a Bond movie. One of my favorite love stories on film. Not to say it is the only reason I love CR so much, I love everything else too, the action, the origin-esque story, Craig's performance as Bond, the modern feel etc.

I'm proud of myself...I have avoided EVERY spoiler...I haven't even watched a trailer except for the teaser.
I'm going into this one TOTALLY surprised.

I think it has lot to do with what Fleming ideas are still unused at this point. Because the movie series treated Bond as an unaging superman for so long, the plotlines of Bond dealing with his age, nervous breakdowns, and the imminence of retirement were often cut out of the later Fleming stories when they were adapted for the screen. As a result, those ideas are still sitting around unused. Given how successful going back to Fleming was for CR, it only makes sense that they would scour the well for every last drop. I'm looking forward to Craig playing an aging Bond in his remaining outings. It will be fresh ground for the character and will hopefully allow for the writers to churn out more unique and interesting scripts, even if it means that we will have missed out on seeing Craig's version of Bond in his prime.

From what i've read the only bond film to ever adresse bond's age or an aging bond was never say never again which of course is not considered part of the eon canon.

I haven't seen the film but i heard that aspect was handled quite well, as opposed to roger moore who was actually 3 years older than connery supposedly running around in his mid-50's like he hadn't aged a day.

Yeah, Bruce Malone, that was exactly my point. It is a rather unexplored field on film, whereas in the original novels and short stories, the issue of Bond's aging and devil may care lifestyle catching up with him are addressed quite a bit in Fleming's later works. In Thunderball, Bond is in the Shrublands Clinic with Count Lippe because he is in bad shape physically. In You Only Live Twice, Bond falls apart after Tracy's death much like it appears he does in Skyfall.

Mustn't watch, mustn't watch, mustn't watch, mustn't watch...

Yeah, but like you said, Craig never really had a youthful face in the Bond films. He has a weathered face, but it's not like he looks over the hill like Moore did in A View To A Kill.

Yeah, but like you said, Craig never really had a youthful face in the Bond films. He has a weathered face, but it's not like he looks over the hill like Moore did in A View To A Kill.

dear god, I rewatched it recently... Moore's body double is so bad !!!

That's because Moore had plastic surgery before A View to a Kill and it shows.

That's because Moore had plastic surgery before A View to a Kill and it shows.

Yeah, that was bad, but he already looked too old as Bond as early as For Your Eyes Only. I feel Brosnan had the same issue in Die Another Day. Part of it was their hair. Brosnan and I presume Moore's bad dye jobs had the opposite effect of making them look older. It drew your attention to the disconnect between their perfectly free of grey hair and their wrinkled features. In contrast, I feel Dalton could have convincingly played an older Bond well into his fifties. He has just aged very differently. Age just made him look more rugged and experienced. I feel Craig will age more like Dalton.

Dalton in 2000 at age 55:
timothy-dalton.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly didn't think Brosnan looked too old until Die Another Day. Moore was starting to look old after Moonraker but wasn't bad until Octopussy and the plastic surgery before View made him look even worse.

As others said, I don't think Craig will have that problem because his face is so rugged and wrinkly now. It's not like he smooth faced like Brosnan or Moore.

Speaking of an aging bond and the TDK comparisons. Do you think they would want to depict craig's bond coming full circle from his beginning to him retiring or his last mission?

That for sure would be a very unique take for the character on film.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back