Jane Got a Gun (Natalie Portman)

kvz5

HBIC
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/natalie-portman-star-western-jane-327747

CAA is packaging the project, which financiers, foreign sales agents and Hollywood studios are circling at Cannes.

Natalie Portman is attached to star and produce Jane Got a Gun, a Western written by Brian Duffield that popped up on the Black List of top screenplays. Lynne Ramsay is attached to direct, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
our editor recommends

The project is still coming together but sources say a bidding war has erupted in Cannes as CAA, which is packaging the project, has quietly shopped it around. Multiple financiers and foreign sales agents – all of whom are gathered on the Croisette for the film festival and market – are in the mix, along with several studios back in Los Angeles.

The film could end up being financed by a combination of equity, studio money and foreign pre-sales. People were looking at the project last week in Los Angeles but the dealmaking moved to the South of France once the festival got underway.

Ramsay was last in theaters with the acclaimed indie film We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Jane Got a Gun centers on a woman whose outlaw husband returns home barely alive and riddled with bullet wounds. She is forced to reach out to an ex-lover and ask if he will help defend her farm when her husband’s gang eventually tracks him down to finish the job.

Portman is repped by CAA; Duffield by Gersh and Ramsay by WME.

I would rather have Ramsay direct the sci-fi take on Moby Dick first but I wouldn't mind if this goes ahead. It has Portman with a superb script in a genre (that doesn't get enough love from today's audience).

Last edited:
A Western starring a female protagonist is rather rare in Hollywood today, and since they also got the Oscar winner Portman to star, this movie could be very interesting.

Portman as a Bad Ass??

I"M IN!!
natalie-portman-sexygifoftheday.gif

I'm intrigued! Think Mathilda all grown up!

I would rather have Ramsay direct the sci-fi take on Moby Dick first but I wouldn't mind if this goes ahead. It has Portman with a superb script in a genre (that doesn't get enough love from today's audience).

Already been done. :o

621-Futurama.jpg

Haha. :funny::up:

Nah, but I hope that project is still in-works. Ramsay directing a sci-fi retelling of Moby Dick in the vein of Das Boot sounds too good to pass up.

Exclusive: Michael Fassbender May Be Triggerman on Natalie Portman’s Jane Got a Gun

It may be that Jane Got a Gun, but it’s looking more and more like Michael Fassbender will be its triggerman: Our spies tell us that Fassbender is negotiating to star in the Western that’s already attracted Natalie Portman and We Need to Talk About Kevin director Lynne Ramsay.
In Jane, Portman, who is also producing, would play a woman married to an outlaw who returns home bullet-riddled and half-dead, betrayed by criminal confederates hot on his heels. Fassbender would play the ex-lover Portman seeks out to help her defend her farm from the imminent onslaught of black hats.

The project is being made independently, with the budget well under $20 million. That’s cheap enough to be financed entirely through Portman’s handsomecharlie films, which has backing from 1821, the financing outfit run by Greek shipping heir (is there any other kind?) Paris Latsis and Terry Dougas.

And yes, while Latsis and Dougas have the dubious distinction of having executive produced the Cameron Diaz horror film The Box – one of the few films ever to receive an outright F CinemaScore — Jane Got a Gun is actually a cracklingly paced script by Brian Duffield that made Hollywood’s annual “black list” last year.

It will be interesting to see if a deal can be sealed with Fassbender, who’s currently in the midst of shooting The Counselor with his old Prometheus director Ridley Scott. If the talks continue to go as well as they have, we hear the plan is to put Jane before cameras by early next year.
http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/mich...german-in-natalie-portman-jane-got-a-gun.html

Wouldn't mind Latsis and Dougas actually throwing a couple of bucks to finance a, you know, Greek movie. There are some of us who could do with half a million, let alone 20.:cmad:

Fantastic addition. :up:

Fassy is out (scheduling conflict with DOFP). Joel was bumped to Fassy's role and Jude Law is now taking Joel's role.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/michael-fassbender-exits-natalie-portmans-427402

Jane Got a Gun has been hit by a round of musical chairs.
OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS

Natalie Portman's 'Jane Got a Gun' Lands Financing, Lynne Ramsay Directing

Natalie Portman to Star in Western 'Jane Got a Gun' for Director Lynne Ramsay (Exclusive)

Michael Fassbender, who was to have played the male lead in the Natalie Portman-led Western, has exited the movie, while Joel Edgerton, who was on board to play the villain, will step into the hero role.

Jude Law, in the meantime, has signed on for the villain, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Gun centers on a woman whose outlaw husband returns home riddled with bullet wounds and barely alive. When her husband’s gang eventually tracks him down to finish the job, she is forced to reach out to an ex-lover and ask if he will help defend her farm.

Edgerton will now play the ex-lover while Law will be the leader of the gang that lays siege to the homestead.

The moves come a week from the start of shooting in New Mexico. Sources say the actor rotation came about due to Fassbender's schedule conflict with his upcoming shoot in Montreal for X-Men: Days of Future Past. Jane has been pushed back several times and now is scheduled to begin filming in April.

Scott Steindorff, Aleen Keshishian and Terry Dougas are producing. Lynne Ramsay (We Need to Talk About Kevin) is directing.

Edgerton, who next appears in the all-star adaptation of The Great Gatsby, is repped by CAA, Shanahan Management and Hirsch Wallerstein

Law is coming off of a starring turn in Steven Soderbergh’s Side Effects and just wrapped shooting Wes Anderson’s latest, the ensemble comedy The Grand Budapest Hotel. He is repped by WME, LBI Entertainment and Jackoway Tyerman.

Let me guess, Aerosmith does the theme song.

A little bummed with Fassy having to back out, but Law isn't a bad addition by any means.

Joel is excellent so I'm glad he got upgraded to the lead role.

Wow... that's very unprofessional to let your cast and crew know it like that. :down

Always something, man.

If Ramsey left the production a few weeks ago, having conflicts with the producers makes more sense.

But to bail on the production the DAY it starts filming? Utterly classless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"