Malick's "Knight of Cups" (Bale, Blanchett, Portman)

So this isn't the film with Ryan Gosling in it? I'm confused now....

No. It's the untitled one (formerly titled "Lawless") that has Gosling. That also has the trio from this - Portman, Blanchett, and Bale.

How does Malick get these expensive actors? Are they really fans of his work?

How does Malick get these expensive actors? Are they really fans of his work?
Of course. He's basically a legend at this point, polarizing as his style may be. And it used to be that working with him was a VERY rare opportunity since he was only putting out one movie a decade for the majority of his career.

Bale looooves Malick and his style. He and Mann are the only two directors he constantly gushes about even when he's supposed to be promoting other movies. He doesn't fanboy about other directors (even Spielberg, Nolan, or Russell) the way he does with these two.

I think some actors work with Malick just to get the experience.

Last edited:
‘Knight of Cups’ Distributor Confirms Terrence Malick’s Drama Will Hit U.S. Theaters This Year

Following word it’ll at least premiere this year, then news of a final edit being completed, it looks like we will see distribution for Terrence Malick‘s Knight of Cups sooner than expected. Speaking today at the annual Ciné event in Riccione, Ernesto Grassi, CEO of Adler (the film’s Italian distributor), says the Christian Bale-led drama will hit limited U.S. theaters later this year before expanding, E-Duesse reports.

He also notes that “many” Oscar nominations are warranted for the film, but we’ll cross that futile bridge when we come to it. For those have been keeping tabs on the film following Bale as a depressed writer-type dealing with celebrities and excess, you’ll know that a U.S. distributor has actually yet to be unveiled. Perhaps this sort of announcement will arrive with news of a premiere (Venice and/or TIFF would be a likely bet), so as we wait, we’ve also rounded up a pair of worthwhile videos highlighting Malick’s work.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/knight...alicks-drama-will-hit-u-s-theaters-this-year/

Count me in - I'll watch anything Malick makes, which hasn't been nearly enough over the decades.

Premiering at the Berlin Film Festival.

Trailer:

This trended WW on Twitter. Whaaat?

I knew it! This is a Batman sequel in disguise. Bane!

yI8OFa5.png

Oh wow... this looks fantastic. :up:

I needed this after the underwhelming turn Bale gave in Exodus: Gods and Kings.

Looks great.

[The Dark] Knight of Cups ? :woot:

Looks much better than To The Wonder. It's Malick-y but it looks like it's telling a story.

The Thin Red Line had the perfect balance of coherent and abstract storytelling. Tree of Life went too far for me, but I still enjoy the film. Hopefully this can strike a greater balance.

Looks like something from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo:

tumblr_ngn77ozD941qej1i6o1_500.gif

Why did 'To the Wonder' fell through the cracks but this is getting some press? Was it due to the studio?

The cast I guess? I mean Bale + Blanchett + Portman > Affleck + Kurylenko + McAdams. They're both under Film Nation with no US distributor yet so that can't be it. Plus, I think this trailer is just better and has a much clearer narrative.

I was actually really surprised at how much it interested me. It looks like a Mallick film but with a plot and a hard edge, which he doesn't really show much in his movies. Plus, it's him working with large groups of extras as opposed to 2 people on a Texas/Oklahoma empty plain, so it looks pretty different from his usual work.

Count me in. I'd deathly curious to see what a Terrence Mallick rave looks like

[YT]bC-3rnv_b3o[/YT]

So, after TDKR, Bruce Wayne suffers amnesia and this is the sequel.

best actress in Hollywood Blanchett with Bale. will watch

This definitely has my interest :woot:

Love seeing some Malick style visuals that aren't just nature, beauty and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"