JAWS Reboot/remake/sequel

CashforStash

Baned User (get it)
Reaction score
The 1975 thriller/adventure film is perhaps one of the most respected films in cinema. The film was the first "Hollywood blockbuster" and spawned three sequels, the last being Jaws: The Revenge in 1987.

It's been 26 years since we last saw Bruce on the big screen, and quite frankly I do not hope it's the last.

Now, I do not want a remake, or a full on sequel, but a reboot. One that can be tied/or not tied to the original continuity. But to be honest, I think the best way to go, is to have a new director and a writer, and to have them re-vision the Peter Benchley book.

This means, it would not be a remake of Jaws, but a re-vision of the book. DO NOT, remake Jaws, but instead maybe make a new adapation of the book, because quite frankly the book is vastly different from the film. Obviously the movie would have to be made with quality and care, and I do not see want to see a half assed attempt at the film (just like Jaws 3 and 4).

What are your thoughts on the future of the Jaws franchise, if there is any.

Also, general discussion about the Jaws films.

Leave it alone. Jaws is one of my favorite films. A masterpiece. Do not muck it up with more trips to the well in future years.

Yeah, Jaws should have never had sequels or anything to begin with and should stay with tat one film for all time. Also, so much of what made that film great wasn't originally planned, so you can't go out and remake happy accidents, so to speak.

Stil my favorite of all Spielberg films, and one you really can't help but watching all the way through whenever you come across it being on cable or what have you.

Movies like this and Goodfellas, you just don't remake.

Besides, there have been so many rip-off films in recent years that are basically JAWS without the brand name. Its a rather tired genre now, and few of them live up to the classic.

What??? Jaws is fine the way it is. No need for any sequel or remake.

The 1975 thriller/adventure film is perhaps one of the most respected films in cinema. The film was the first "Hollywood blockbuster" and spawned three sequels, the last being Jaws: The Revenge in 1987.

It's been 26 years since we last saw Bruce on the big screen, and quite frankly I do not hope it's the last.

Now, I do not want a remake, or a full on sequel, but a reboot. One that can be tied/or not tied to the original continuity. But to be honest, I think the best way to go, is to have a new director and a writer, and to have them re-vision the Peter Benchley book.

This means, it would not be a remake of Jaws, but a re-vision of the book. DO NOT, remake Jaws, but instead maybe make a new adapation of the book, because quite frankly the book is vastly different from the film.
Obviously the movie would have to be made with quality and care, and I do not see want to see a half assed attempt at the film (just like Jaws 3 and 4).

What are your thoughts on the future of the Jaws franchise, if there is any.

Also, general discussion about the Jaws films.

I've only ever seen the movies, never read the book. So how does the book differ from the film? Could you give some examples?

BTW, I only really enjoyed the first two movies. Parts 3 & 4 were just dumb IMO.

Go home, CashforStash. You're drunk.

I've only ever seen the movies, never read the book. So how does the book differ from the film? Could you give some examples?

In the book the characters are less likeable and there is an adultery subplot.

Yeah, the differences between the book and the film were made for the best.

Last edited:
This will not ever happen, not if Mr. Speilberg has any say in the matter.

^^In that case, no to another sequel or a reboot. If making another adaptation closer to the original source material isn't going to enhance the story, then there's really no point.

And as for sequels? The only sequel that was any good as all was Part 2. Part 3 was just a silly cash in on the "every third sequel has to be in 3D" fad at the time. And they killed off most of the original characters in Part 4. So just leave it the hell alone and let me enjoy Parts 1 & 2 in peace.

As I remember, the book isn't very good, the film essentially distilling all the crap from Benchley's story. There's really no point in re-visiting it, unless I miss my guess.

Yeah, the movie is better than the book, kind of like how the Shining is.

What we really need is a prequel.

I really wouldn't object to a movie about the USS Indianapolis. Basically a film version of Quint's story. But I wouldn't want it to be advertised as a full-on Jaws prequel. In fact, I would only want to see Quint in it in a small role/cameo.

Jaws Remake?

christian-bale-flowerduu2n.gif

Sequel?

christian-bale-flowerduu2n.gif

I really wouldn't object to a movie about the USS Indianapolis. Basically a film version of Quint's story. But I wouldn't want it to be advertised as a full-on Jaws prequel. In fact, I would only want to see Quint in it in a small role/cameo.

They've done a Tv movie and some discovery channel programs.

I like that idea a lot.

Btw here's a Jaws tattoo i got last friday. It's the start of a sleeve, Heath's joker portrait is next.

id821h.jpg

Remake the best movie ever made? Nah, best not to.

Now I wouldn't mind a film adaption of Benchley's The Beast. I know they did a miniseries of it in the 90's but that was only so-so.

The point wasn't the shark itself, it was Spielberg's direction. The tension..the slow burn... and the characters that we grow to like.

There's no point of a remake really.

The point wasn't the shark itself, it was Spielberg's direction. The tension..the slow burn... and the characters that we grow to like.

There's no point of a remake really.

True. In fact, the scariest parts of the movie are the parts where you don't even see the shark at all, like the opening scene and the death of the boy on the raft.

Jaws is my no.1 favourite movie amd my own personal view is that it should never be remade; as KalMart said, movies like this and Goodfellas, you just don't remake.

I get what the OP is saying when he/she says the book is so different from the movie that they should have a stab at making a movie that more closely sticks to the source material [so it's more of a reboot] but the thing is, JAWS is so ingrained in popular culture that people wouldnt see it as anything else than a remake that's had some scenes changed.

Now a straight up sequel that's approached properly [discounting [part IV]?

That's a different matter. The animatronic sharts in Deep Blue Sea showed me just how great a GWS could look nowadays, and that movie was, what, about 1998/9?

To be honest, I thought the same for years until I learned that the real story of the Indianapolis wasnt half as 'shark related' as Quint's recollection made it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"