Jean Grey to return from the dead... Again!

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by KevanG, Sep 15, 2017.

1. CB Fan

CB Fan The Watcher

Agreed. I’m loving this.

2. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

Next issue comes out in 2 weeks

3. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Didn't like the third issue.

4. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

noooooooo... why??? I thought this was weekly

5. psylockolussus

Probably someone didn't make the deadline .

6. Havok83

the final schedule was in the last page

[​IMG]

7. psylockolussus

I thought it was weekly as well. But then I saw the final page.

8. Havok83

[​IMG]

This cover makes me yearn for animated Jean

9. Havok83

10. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

I love it when they depict the phoenix as a small bird like it is in that variant cover. It's a great contrast with the huge amount of power it holds.

I'm thrilled that Phoenix Resurrection is selling well. Marvel has been teasing Jean's return for a decade to jump up the sales of other events. This mini is everything Jean, Marvel, and the fans need!

11. Havok83

here's another and this may be one of my favorites

[​IMG]

12. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

Phoenix Resurrection is the 10th best selling comic of 2017!

13. Havok83

I read that earlier and it’s quite impressive. 5th overall for Marvel. With the Dark Phoenix film releasing this year, I wonder if they will lean more heavily into Jean now

14. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I mean, they are giving her her own team book.

15. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

The cycle continues lol. Glad to see it's selling well.

16. Havok83

that's still an ensemble and was announced before the sales numbers came in. I dont want them to overexpose her but I can see a solo and/or spot on another team book. Either an Avengers title or the rumored Uncanny X-men relaunch

17. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

It was trash writing [BLACKOUT]that OML was the one to go into the diner at the end of issue 4. I didn't think I could hate a character more than normal Wolverine. It should have been Storm 100%. Having said that, I'm feeling a bit better about #5 after reading the preview[/BLACKOUT]

The strength of this mini is that it's creepy, weird, memorable, interesting, unexpected.

The weakness is that the characters playing bigger roles don't have strong connections to Jean (mainly Kitty and OML).

18. Havok83

The mini has some pacing issues. Its either too short or too long, which seems odd but it is. Based on what they've given us, it seems like this would have worked better as an oversized graphic novel. 5 seperate issues with little movement just seems to unnecesarily drag out a thin plot. The other option would have been a traditional crossover where they could actually go more in depth with the impact of Jean/Phoenix's return on various characters as well as the side missions/fights we saw sprinkled here and there. Either would have been better.
    Oh and yes, Storm definitely should have been chosen. Cable or Rachel also would have worked but they conveniently got written out early on. OML is a big WTF.

I wonder how they will handle going from PR #5 to Red. Is Jean gonna take one look at Kitty's team and go Deuces!, head out and go do her own thing?

19. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

Despite not fitting that well with Endsong continuity or utilizing Jean's friends, I do admire Rosenberg's idea that he pitched. I love the slow burn (literally), Jean's subconscious, Phoenix work, and the creepiness factor.

I does seem like issue 5 has A LOT of work to do. I wouldn't blame Jean for dipping lol

20. psylockolussus

I don't like the slow burn at all, it should have been a tie in story to Astonishing, Blue and Gold.

21. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Okay, I love the new Phoenix costume they had in the preview for #5.

22. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

What we're getting is way better than what those books would be able to produce

23. JewishHobbit

JewishHobbit Well-Known Member

I just realized I haven't gotten around to commenting on this book. The biggest compliment I can give it is this...

I haven't physically bought a comic since just prior to Avengers vs X-Men due to being priced out and having lost all faith and love in comic books. I sold my entire comic book collection but eventually started pirating them to keep up to date, buying trades for the stories I really liked. But I eventually sold those as well. I've continued downloading out of habit, but if that weren't an option, it wouldn't have bothered me.

The Gold/Blue era has really peaked my interest, but Phoenix Resurrection has recaptured the love I once had in comics, and as result of that I went out to four different Half Priced Books near me and my local comic shop and not only bought all four issues of Phoenix Resurrection, but every issue of Blue and Gold, and then any random issue of other X-titles of this era. Phoenix Resurrection has given me such excitement and hope for the X-Men, reminding me of why I loved them to begin with, that I've decided to rework my budget to allow for comic book buying again.

I can't really think of a bigger compliment that I can give it than that.

24. Havok83

Guys, she is back. Our Jean is finally back and thats a glorious thing

25. JewishHobbit

JewishHobbit Well-Known Member

Wow... that issue.

This is only the third time that that I can think of where I got really choked up reading a comic. The first time was the death of Colossus, the second time was an issue of Green Arrow, and now this. It was such a perfect issue. The moment with Cyclops where you realize that it was actually him and not a manifestation of the Phoenix. The fact that Scott and Jean got that moment to say goodbye that they never had, that Scott could apologize for how things ended. The closure there meant the world to me since I've always felt that the X-Men franchise as a whole spiraled from what I had long ago loved with their parting. And then the final page of Jean being back and Beast, one of her oldest friends, welcoming her back. Oh man... just wow. Also, although Old Man Logan wasn't HER Logan, I liked his use here. He wasn't the great love who brought her back to her senses. He was the savage hero who did what needed to be done to snap her out of it. He did his part and was done, leaving room for Jean to have her own moment.

And as I said before... I just can't get over that Scott and Jean scene. The writer perfected that scene. It was brief, but I think it captured the love that exists between Scott and Jean in a way that was never present between Scott and Emma. You really got the impression that if Scott could go back and change things, he'd have never done what he did. Maybe I was just reading my thoughts into it, but you could really see his guilt. And on top of that, you could see Jean's guilt for not being there for him during his fall from grace years later. It was such a wonderful reunion and goodbye that it just hit me hard. By far the best moment in X-Men comics since Kitty and Colossus' reunion in Astonishing X-Men 4 (if I have that number right). Just beautiful. And I can't wait for X-Men Red. Simply cannot wait.

And it was funny!!! Like, there were two or three lines that got a genuine chuckle out of me. Good stuff. Is this writer going to be working on any of the upcoming X-Men titles? Because he really needs to.