Days of Future Past "Romeo & Juliet Return?": The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning Strykez!

Former Mod On Pension Pay
Reaction score

cyclopsjean.jpg

"Romeo & Juliet Return?"
The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate

Yes, I know they're "dead" or are at least supposed to be as of X3. Yet Bryan Singer's latest comments about "fixing some things" (plus Famke's confirmed appearance in the upcoming Wolverine film) gives me hope that these two might an appearance in Days Of Future Past.

famkejanssen20090721012.jpg
Stats: Jean Grey
KNOWN ALIASES: Phoenix, Marvel Girl
IDENTITY: Secret
CITIZENSHIP: USA
PLACE OF BIRTH: New York. New York
MARITAL STATUS: Single
KNOWN RELATIVES: Nate Grey (cloned son), parents (deceased)
GROUP AFFILIATION: Formerly X-Men
EDUCATION: College
HEIGHT: 5 ft. 7 in.
WEIGHT: 125 lbs.
EYES: Green
HAIR: Red

SUPERHUMAN POWERS: Jean Grey possessed telepathic powers allowing her to read mines, project her thoughts, and mentally stun opponents with pure psionic force, among other talents. She also possessed telekinesis, allowing her to levitate and manipulate objects. As the Phoenix, she has the ability to exist in any environment without harm, project force bolts of incalculable power and create force fields. She also possesses the power of telepathy, illusion-casting; her link with the Phoenix force gives her vast psionic ability to manipulate time, space, matter, and energy for virtually any purpose.

cyclopsn.jpg

Stats: Cyclops
Identity: Known to certain government officials
Legal status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record
Place of birth: Anchorage, Alaska
Marital status: Married
Known relatives: Christopher (Corsair, father), Katherine Ann (mother, deceased), Alexander (Havok, brother), Philip, Deborah (grandparents), Madelyne Pryor (first wife, deceased), Jean Grey (Phoenix, second wife), Nathan Christopher (Cable, son), Gailyn (niece), Joey (nephew) Rachel (Phoenix II, daughter by Phoenix in an alternate timeline), Tyler (Genesis II, grandson, deceased)
Group affiliation: (current) X-Men, (former) X-Factor I
Base of operations: (current) Xavier Institute, Salem Center, Westchester County, New York State, (former) X-Factor I headquarters, New York City; "Ship"
First appearance: X-MEN (first series) #1
Height: 6 ft. 3 in.
Weight: 195 lbs.
Eyes: Brown (glow red)
Hair: Brown
Strength: Athlete
Fighting skills: Extensive training in hand-to-hand combat
Special skills and abilities: Experienced battle tactician, strategist
Known superhuman powers: Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of concussive, ruby-colored force from his eyes. Cyclops's eyes are no longer the complex organic jelly that utilizes the visible spectrum of light to see the world around it. Instead, they are inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another, non-Einsteinium universe, where physical laws as we know them do not pertain. This non-Einsteinium universe is filled with particles that resemble photons, yet they interact with this universe's particles by transferring kinetic energy in the form of gravitons (the particle of gravitation). These particles generate great, directional concussive force when they interact with the objects of this universe.

Cyclops's mind has a particular psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures that have taken the place of his eyes. Because his mind's psionic field envelops his body, it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body. Thus, his body is protected from the effects of the particles, and even the thin membrane of his eyelids is sufficient to block the emission of energy. The synthetic ruby quartz crystal used to fashion the lenses of Cyclops's eyeglasses and visor is resonant to his minds' psionic field and is similarly protected.

The extra dimensional supply of energy for Cyclops's eye-blast is practically infinite. Thus, so long as Cyclops's psionic field is active (which is constantly), there is the potential to emit energy. The only limit to the eye-blast is the mental fatigue of focusing constantly. After about 15 minute of constant usage, the psionic field subsides and allows only a slight leakage of energy to pass through the aperture. Cyclops's metabolism will recover sufficiently for him to continue in about an additional 15 minutes.

Special limitations: Due to a brain injury, Cyclops is unable to shut off his optic blasts at will and must therefore wear a visor or glasses with ruby quartz lenses that block the beams.​

The Scoop:
I honestly believe that at least Scott should be in Days Of Future Past. He, along with Storm, would provide the greatest X-Men threat to the Sentinels since they are the most powerful members of the team (sans Jean Grey) and can create extensive long-range damage to this enemy. The mess comes into play when one considers that Scott "died" in X3, although this was never officially proven and could be explained away in Days Of Future Past.

Since Bryan Singer has vowed to "fix" some issues by bridging the cast of the original trilogy with that of the First Class via time travel, it seems this is the perfect opportunity to undo a decision that has been denounced by fans for several years now. I think most of us would agree that X-Men: The Last Stand truly ruined both characters for silly, political reasons. The question is...how does Bryan fix this?

Personally? I think that Cyclops has the edge in returning for Days Of Future Past because Tim Pocock already made an appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine as a younger Cyclops. But again, it presents all sorts of continuity issues since Xavier was clearly played in Patrick Stewart's likeness in Wolverine versus the obvious addition of James McAvoy now. How do they fix this?

And there were a lot of rumors in Hollywood at the end of 2012 that James Marsden was being looked at seriously by FOX to return. And Famke Janssen's "Jean Grey" appears in the next Wolverine film. So the studio is definitely not "done" with these characters completely. Lots to discuss!

Questions For Discussion:
1.) Should Scott and/or Jean Have A Role In The Next X-Men Film? Why Or Why Not?
2.) Do You Think Bryan Singer Will Add The Characters In "Days Of Future Past"?
3.) Should Actor Tim Pocock Return As 'Cyclops' in "Days Of Future Past"?​

Last edited:
I think so...in some way shape or form, both should return if Singer fixes some issues concerning their characters. I have some hope for them and Singer. Famke is just waiting for that phone call so who knows...I'm waiting for the day they announce who's returning. It'll be like old times again. :) I don't think we've seen the last of our Jean Grey and Scott Summers. :)

By the way, nice manips.

Last edited:
You know, the one thing I hope they fix is Cyclop's death from X3. If they fix nothing but that, I'll be happy. I don't hate X-men: the last stand as much as many other do but the one thing I hate is Cyclops dying in it. They fix that and instantly i'm a lot happier. I'd be happy to see Jean again but it's not as bad as Cyclops' half-assed death.

They don't need to return in DOFP. The movie already has a lot of new things going on. Bringing back Jean and Cyclops from the death would just mess things and it would another thing that they should carefully develop. Like I said before, save it for the other movie. People are acting like this is the last movie and everybody should appear and I really disagree about that!

You know, the one thing I hope they fix is Cyclop's death from X3. If they fix nothing but that, I'll be happy. I don't hate X-men: the last stand as much as many other do but the one thing I hate is Cyclops dying in it. They fix that and instantly i'm a lot happier. I'd be happy to see Jean again but it's not as bad as Cyclops' half-assed death.

Agreed. I think that Jean Grey's appearance in the next Wolverine film will serve some sort of purpose, since the film is supposed to segue into Days Of Future Past. So much of her survival of X3's events will depend on Bryan & Co.'s willingness to embrace the full fantasy element of the Phoenix...which will mean abandoning the realism he originally based the franchise on. Not sure he's willing to go that far, but that doesn't mean a younger actress can't be cast for Jean "in the past".

And Scott Summers' death in X3 was hands-down one of the worst things done EVER in a modern day comic book film. Totally senseless.

I may get stoned here for saying this but...Bryan Singer is directly responsible (along with Fox executives) for Scott's death in X3. He left the production of X3 for Warner Bros. Superman Returns and then cast James Marsden in the damn film. :doh: I mean, what the f***?!? The timing couldn't have been more terrible.

Therefore, I have a feeling that Bryan wants to fix Scott's death in Days Of Future Past if it's possible.

..Bryan Singer is directly responsible (along with Fox executives) for Scott's death in X3. He left the production of X3 for Warner Bros. Superman Returns and then cast James Marsden in the damn film. :doh: I mean, what the f***?!? The timing couldn't have been more terrible.

Therefore, I have a feeling that Bryan wants to fix Scott's death in Days Of Future Past if it's possible.

Uh... yeah, sure. Right before he was very notably "kicked off" the FOX lot, Singer made sure to write a special decree to Tom Rothman that said "MAKE SURE CYCLOPS SLEEPS WITH THE FISHES." Yes, Singer consciously made a choice to cast Marsden in SR only so that he could take him away from Rothman and X-Men and make X3 that much worse. Yes, Singer is the root of all evil in 2005/06.

And Rothman, being the stand-up guy he was known exactly to be, honored Singer's request implicitly, through his uber-mind control over X3's quote-unquote "director," who would not be swayed by any other studio boss.

Yeah...whatever, bub.

:word:

I am currently making a Jean, Scott, Logan video. Working on it now. lol. I'll post it on Youtube or something when Im done.

They should appear at the end, in an alternate future after the future is fixed.

Uh... yeah, sure. Right before he was very notably "kicked off" the FOX lot, Singer made sure to write a special decree to Tom Rothman that said "MAKE SURE CYCLOPS SLEEPS WITH THE FISHES." Yes, Singer consciously made a choice to cast Marsden in SR only so that he could take him away from Rothman and X-Men and make X3 that much worse. Yes, Singer is the root of all evil in 2005/06.

And Rothman, being the stand-up guy he was known exactly to be, honored Singer's request implicitly, through his uber-mind control over X3's quote-unquote "director," who would not be swayed by any other studio boss.

Yeah...whatever, bub.

I wouldn't overplay my hand if I were you. Studio politics are real, dude. And you'd be naïve if you didn't believe Bryan's decision to dump FOX/X3 last minute for WB/SR didn't have mass impact on many decisions.

So I am in the mist of uploading the video...to youtube. It'll take an hour and a half to do it...:( But yeah... I worked my butt off on it though.

Does anyone know how to post youtube videos on here ? Mine keeps showing as a white background each time I preview to see if the video is working but it isn't.

Does anyone know how to post youtube videos on here ? Mine keeps showing as a white background each time I preview to see if the video is working but it isn't.
Yeah, look at the URL address of your video. At the very end of it should be v=(series of numbers and letters). Put that series of numbers and letters between the tags.

I hope that to some capacity we see them.
I'm excited about DOFP,but without Cyke i'm just a little underwhelmed about the whole thing.

I'm very ok if X3 is the last we ever see of them. Jean and Scott are my least favorite characters in X-Men in any of their renditions, cartoon, comic, or movie.

Personal feelings aside, I really really hope they're not in DOFP, simply for timing and coherency purposes. They're already going to have to twist around Xavier's death, they really shouldn't have to waste more time explaining two more. Not to mention, if we're supposed to be seeing the severity of the Sentinel apocalyptic future by showing X-Men getting killed, that won't be that effective if the movie contains THREE characters who already died and are magically back to life. If there are no ultimate consequences, why on earth would we be worried or saddened by a Sentinel blasting Wolverine or Storm to smithereens? According to the logic set up by the return of Xavier, Jean, and Cyclops, they'll just show up alive and well in the next movie.

I have hope that Famke reappear.She is best work ​​of the whole saga.Bryan can fix it and bring it back.

tumblr_lemgehiWC71qaa7tqo1_500.png

Id really like to see cyclops back as his death was pointless while jeans was more meaningful in X3 it would be nice to have her back too but at same time to bring either one of them back would have to be done very delicately and not feel forced and done just for the sake of it

:( Is there anyway around the blocking?? :( I want to share it with all of you. :( *cries*

Cyclops is an amazing character with tons of depth......if they do not find a way to bring back Cyclops in this epic XMEN film since he was taken out so ridiculously and OFFSCREEN MIND YOU, I do not think I can bring myself to see X-Men: Days of Future Past. It would be too much of a slap in a face to us as fans. Cyclops is the leader, James Marsden was awesome in the role and you have the perfect opportunity to bring our favorite octic blasting mutant back to the forefront. I am a true fan of all of your work Bryan but I would feel UTTERLY betrayed if you do not bring this iconic character back to finally have a great moment to SHINE. I do not think I am alone in this, HE IS NEEDED FOR THIS FILM. I think I am gonna pass if we do not get the leader back.

The X-Men movies never really did follow the comics or the original storyline. The best proof you will ever need would be X-Men First Class in which NONE of the original members of the team were to be found (Cyclops, Beast, Jean Grey, Angel, etc) was it a great movie still? Yes. Did it follow the comic line? No But there are limits to what you can get away with....having an X-Men movie of this this epic magnitude which is supposed to bring the series forward without Cyclops the leader of the X-Men would insult our intelligence as fans, he died off screen as I said and Rogue is back with her powers fully and xavier will be in his old body which was pulverized might as well bring Voldermort back in harry potter lol. Now I am over joyed that you are changing Last Stand for the definite better but this would most def NEED to include bringing Cyclops Back to the team. It's like having an avengers movie without Iron Man. Wolverine has been done to death and he's getting his own movie and now we know he has a large role in this movie, if cyclops is nowhere to be found, I will be nowhere to be found in the theater but I don't expect for you to let me down Bryan. BRING CYCLOPS BACK!!!

YOUR GREAT FAN,
Chris

I wouldn't overplay my hand if I were you. Studio politics are real, dude. And you'd be naïve if you didn't believe Bryan's decision to dump FOX/X3 last minute for WB/SR didn't have mass impact on many decisions.

I know very well of what you speak, my man (you are a man, right?), I was around when it happened.

It's just this kind of audacity of certain fan cultures to consciously blame filmmakers for supposedly-purposefully wishing ill-will upon their favorite characters, as if they had nothing else better to do...that's all I'm really talking about.

Logistically, of course Singer's decision to leave had an impact on every phase of the production...a creative head leaving a production always does. And they couldn't have hired anyone worse than the Rat-man (maybe that was conscious on Rothman's part!). But in terms of Singer consciously forging the the kind of impact some fans like to claim he did, by leaving, in retrospect?

I just take issue with the idea that it's any one man's fault over another...when the reality of the situation is usually a even mix between fact, rumor, speculation..."all that stuff." :cwink:

Would I like to see Cyclops given a strong role in a future X-Men film? Sure. But realistically, look at the character, look at the actor's popularity relative to others in the franchise, and look at how the character operates on screen (very important), i.e. it's hard to identify with a character when you can never see their eyes...which is, unbelievably, the both great and tragic thing about his final moment in X3 -- that there was some attempt to let you "see" into his vision, his soul...but we all knew that it couldn't last.

At the risk of sounding cheeseball -- eyes are indeed 'the window to the soul,' after all...just something to think about.

Last edited:
James Marsden def has the screen presence, he is about to star in a new movie this year called 2 Guns with Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. Not to mention he is going to play John F Kennedy in The Butler with the likes of Robin Williams, Alan Rickman, Jane Fonda, John Cusack, Liev Schrieber, Terrence Howard and Cuba Gooding Jr. NOW IS THE TIME TO BRING JAMES MARSDEN BACK!!!.....Bryan, I am begging you do not let us down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"