Joe Quesada Has Crossed The Line With The Smoking Ban

I just thought it was funny. Luke felt the need to differentiate between "regular" marriage and gay marriage. :)

It was pretty silly. It didn't offend me or really detract from the story, but I was like, "really?" Sitcomy is a good word for it.

I've never seen that show, actually. As far as sitcoms go, my favorite would definitely be 30 Rock.

Yeah, I love me some 30 Rock, but this totally seems like the sorta thing you'd find on Always Sunny. I could totally see an episode called "The Gang gets Gay Married." As a matter of fact, I think they did one.

Is Danny DeVito on that show regularly, or is it an occasional thing?

Yeah, he's funny as hell on that show too.

Funnier than "Charlie Bangs Dennis and Dee's Mom."?

I think "The Gang Gets Held Hostage" is still my favorite episode. The McPoyles are probably the best recurring guest stars in the history of television.

I think that's a bit extreme. It's not like he's going out of his way to insert his messages into everything. He banned smoking and restored Spider-Man's status quo to the way he preferred it. That's pretty much just two things. You've gotta at least give him credit for allowing the Annihilation, Nova, and Guardians of the Galaxy comics to exist, given that he hates cosmic stuff. You know what happens when Dan DiDio doesn't like something? He attempts to destroy it and/or ensures top talent can't ever touch it.

Yes, I'm talking about Nightwing, goddamnit. :cmad:

Well, I can respect a man that WILL actually listen to the fans. We asked for Guardians of the Galaxy, and he gave it..regardless of whether he likes something or not, he should listen to his audience. But I was pleased with the whole Spider-Man OMD/BND arc, I mean, yeah it's kinda confusing figuring out is real now, but it's goin to eventually fall into place.

I was talking to a buddy of mine tonight, and apparently Marvel has been receiving a lot of mail regarding this....some of it in praise, others in aggravation. You can see it from either side, and agree with both to some levels..for example. Will it help make a difference? Are you going to notice your characters aren't smoking? Is it seriously going to offend you?? Oh well, it's minor.

Coming from a smokers point of view, these guys better start wearing the patch or chewing more gum...and hit the gym or they are going to gain some weight.:o

Some people smoke in real life. Fiction reflects real life. Some people should smoke in fiction.

Then again, people swear and have XXX sex and get wasted and shoot up heroine in real life too . .

I don't know. I guess they can stop the smoking but to have characters come out and preach is over the line.

Well, a lot of people become preachy *****e bags after they quit something, so actually, that's kinda accurate.

Characters in comics swear (a lot now, in fact), have sex, get wasted, and shoot up all kinds of stuff (see: the Sentry) in comics. That's the main reason why this smoking ban comes off as particularly stupid. It sticks out like a sore thumb because it's one thing that plenty of people do that can now never be reflected in the comics, as opposed to all the other, far more heinous things people really do to each other and themselves that are reflected in the comics. I get that Joe Q takes it personally because a relative died from lung cancer, but as a company-wide policy for a fictional universe, a smoking ban comes off as very preachy and a little bit childish.

But, on the other hand, it's not like anyone really misses seeing Nick Fury with a stogie in his mouth that much. He can still kick ass and take names; the stogie was just a bonus.

I have to say that I never notice it. Even with the issues that started this thread, the first thing to come to mind certainly wasn't "company wide ban."

I mean, if it bothers you that much, cigarettes and cigars aren't that hard to draw. Just get a pen and embellish. You can blacken in some of Mephisto's teeth while you're at it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"