John Carpenter Appreciation Thread

So it turns out that I' am missing Assault on Precinct 13 from my Carpenter collection.

Carpenter is going to be on Marc Maron's podcast on Thursday.

[YT]dQgAJe_0XGw[/YT]

0lRUTHe.gif

AICN Legends: Mr. Beaks And Rick Baker Discuss The Retro Aliens Of MEN IN BLACK III And Much More!
Mr. Beaks said:
Beaks: That actually leads me to my next question. You belong to a proud fraternity of performers who've acted in a gorilla suit. There's George Barrows, Charles Gemora... all the way to Bob Burns. I actually did a top ten list of my favorite gorilla suit gags, and you were on there twice: once for Dino in THE KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE and again for Sidney in THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN. When's the last time you had a gorilla suit on?

Baker: I haven't had a gorilla suit on in quite a few years now. I actually think I had part of one on when we did the Ro-Man thing to look at something. It's hard work. (Laughs) It's kind of a thankless job. Any suit performer experiences that same thing. You're very aware that you have this suit on. You can't see very well, you can't breathe very well, and it gets really hot. You're uncomfortable, but nobody else is. When I did [KING KONG '76], I'd put the suit on as soon as I got to work and wear it all day long. I'd take it off for lunch, but then put it on again - sometimes for no reason whatsoever. But that's the way it worked. It was a really hot summer, and it was all bluescreen stuff in the old days of photochemical compositing. The whole crew had shorts on, half of them didn't have shirts on, and I'm in this suit.
I remember Bob telling me early on, "They don't treat you like a person when you have a suit on." He'd tell me stories of one guy trying to set him on fire, and another guy trying to throw lye on him. He also told me about a guy in a Tweety Bird costume at Magic Mountain getting rolled down a hill by some kids, so he ended up getting a great big hatpin. He'd keep it inside the costume, and if anyone would get too close he's [stick] them. You forget that there's a person in there. I'm glad I had those experiences, but I don't know that I'd do it for a film again. I'm too old and not in good enough shape.
Beaks: Will we ever see your version of The Creature?

Baker: I've done a number of designs for the Creature. At one point Landis was going to do it, and at another point Joe Dante and Mike Finnell were going to do it, and then John Carpenter was going to do it. The Carpenter one was the one that went the furthest; we actually did a whole bunch of designs and maquettes, and then that crapped out. The last time somebody talked to me about it was when Ivan Reitman had the film, but their thinking was so different from my thinking was that I didn't want anything to do with it. They were making it part-dinosaur, part-every fish in the world. It wasn't the Gill Man. I think if it's to be done today, it should be a CG thing. I can't believe I'm saying that, but the fact that all the underwater stuff is such an ordeal for a guy who has to breathe underwater, and then what happens to the costume. It seems perfect for a CG character. The thing is, the original Gill Man design is still so great. My designs for the Creature were kind of like my designs for the Wolf Man; it was very much based on a love for the original material, and trying to stay true to that in a lot of ways. I think we had a Creature that was updated, but you could still tell where it came from.
Beaks: I'd still love to see it.

Baker: Well, I'm doing this book on my career, and there are going to be some sketches in there, along with pictures of things no one has ever seen.
Whatever Happened to John Carpenter's Creature From The Black Lagoon?
Universal's classic monster movie Creature From The Black Lagoon was almost remade by John Carpenter in the 1990s. So what happened?

My favourite director of all.

Not only is The Fog my favourite Carpenter film, it's my favourite horror film - ever.

You rock, John Carpenter :up:

Anyone seen the interview with Carpenter calling Zombie a piece of isssh liar? lol

In his prime Carpenter was such a genre-busting, convention bending truly innovative auteur.

Big Trouble in Little China is my favourite Carpenter film (and probably in my top five favourite films in genaral), closely followed by the Fog, Halloween, Escape from New York, They Live. Hell, I've even recently discovered a fondness for Ghosts of Mars, even though I hated that when it came out. Vampires and Star Man I've yet to develop an affinity for though.

Escape From New York is on Netflix now. Watching it ASAP. Haven't seen it in years.

I recently discovered Assault on Precinct 13 for the first time and holy CRAP I LOVE THAT MOVIE. From the very very beginning when that score comes on I knew this film was for me and it delivered. Probably my favorite Carpenter.

I recently discovered Assault on Precinct 13 for the first time and holy CRAP I LOVE THAT MOVIE. From the very very beginning when that score comes on I knew this film was for me and it delivered. Probably my favorite Carpenter.

Assault on Precinct 13 is a great movie.
The killing of the little girl by the ice cream truck still shocks me every time!

Has anyone seen "The Void" yet? I'm getting some major Prince of Darkness vibes from that.

Has anyone seen "The Void" yet? I'm getting some major Prince of Darkness vibes from that.

Looks almost like a mashup of Prince of Darkness and The Thing.

I have read it is similar to Carpenter's style most of the film, but then takes a sharp turn into Lucio Fulci's The Beyond territory

Not yet, but it definitely has that PoD (another of my favourites) feel to it. Hope to check it out soon.

I have. The Void is the best Lovecraftian horror film since The Thing and is a more than worthy successor to Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy.

Watched it last night and all I can say is that if your a fan of old-school 80's horror you should definitely check it out. I loved the look/style of the film and the gore/practical effects are quite impressive considering it is an indie movie. Unfortunately, if your expecting more than that than you'll likely be disappointed. The characters weren't much and I wasn't a big fan of the ending.

I have. The Void is the best Lovecraftian horror film since The Thing and is a more than worthy successor to Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy.

Good to know! :up:

EDIT: And this is my 666th post on Superherohype! :shock

Last edited:
Hated them. It's like they said 'Hey what if we make the Halloween universe all long haired white trash'. They even managed to make Dr. Loomis unlikable in the sequel.

I think Loomis, Michael, and Laurie are the holy trinity of the Halloween universe.

I love HII as well. I know it's flawed and not on the same level as it's immortal classic predecessor, but it's a damn fine horror movie, and the second best Halloween movie in the series. I love how it picks up on the same night where the first one ended. The Haddonfield hospital made for a great creepy setting. The sight of Michael stalking around it's corridors at night.....brrrrrrr.

H20 is my third favorite, because it took the franchise back to it's roots. It wisely ignored the sequels after HII. Kept it to the basics; Michael vs Laurie. It's just a shame Donald Pleasance had passed away by the time it was made. It would have been great to see Pleasance and Curtis reunited again.

Well its no guarantee H20 would have happened at all if Donald had lived on...the idea of part 7 might have picked up from the ending of the Producers Cut of part 6 involving the Thorn cult...if you watch the documentary about the making of it on the bluray box set, it was a pretty wild idea and I loved it...what might have been....I do love H20...my order of favorites though is as follows: 1, 2, 6-Producers Cut, 4, 5, H20, 6-Theatrical, Resurrection...

John Carpenter Blu-ray steelbooks revealed by Scream Factory

wa5KRQ9.jpg

To celebrate the Scream Factory Blu-ray label’s fifth anniversary, the company that takes pride in putting out some of the best horror discs out there is releasing three of John Carpenter‘s masterpieces — They Live, The Fog and Escape From New York — in limited edition Steelbook packaging. Only 10,000 of each John Carpenter Blu-ray is being produced, and once they’re gone, they’re gone!

The official release date for the Steelbook editions of They Live, The Fog and Escape From New York is August 1, but you can pre-order starting today. Plus if you order directly from the Scream Factory site, you’ll get two weeks early shipping and your packaging will also include a 28.5” x 16.5” rolled lithograph of the illustration (conceived and designed by artist Nathanael Marsh), while supplies last.

I already own the regular releases by Scream Factory. But hard to not wanna double dip, those are gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"