John Lennon: 30 years later

runawayboulder

2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP
Reaction score
So, 30 years ago today, John Lennon was murdered outside of his hotel and the world was robbed of one of it's amazing figures of it's time. Now, I'm a relatively young guy and was little when it happened but I've seen/read countless pieces since about what Lennon meant to the world as not just a musician but also a political figure, celebrity, ect.

So my questions to you all is, does this generation have a figure like Lennon? Does it need one now especially in these rough times?

I'm only 19 but I went to Strawberry Fields in Central Park to pay my respects and sing a few Beatles songs. Lennon and The Beatles have meant so much to me since I was a child. It says something to me that someone who's barely in college can be driven to tears by the sentiments of a song like "Beautiful Boy," and hearing all the hope and optimism in it, then realizing how swiftly it was all taken away.

I really don't think this generation really has a Lennon figure. Since his death, a few have come close (Springsteen, Vedder), but they don't have the edge Lennon did.

Lennon is this generation's figure- and he will be so for the next as well. Celebrate his life, don't commemorate his death.

I guess I'll be the contrary opinion. Lennon was talented and did have a social message to his music, but he was still just an artist, and we certainly didn't need him then, and we don't need a John Lennon now.

Music from the Beatles had a huge impact on my life and it's my favorite band ever.

i cant watch the imagine documentary without crying at the end. thinking about his death and what could have been kills me.

today, there is no single figure that makes an impact in all the ways lennon did. there is no single figure who is a rock star producing respectable and innovative music who is also a legit social activist who has such pure beliefs in impossible ideals and a passion to fight for them.

thankfully, the music and inspiration of lennon's life isnt exclusive to yesterday's generation. he's still here for this generation and the next.

Super ferret may say we dont need a john lennon. and in a primitive sense, thats entirely true. but lennon was undoubtedly a positive figure who had a positive message who made the world a better place. i sure as hell wouldnt mind having him around now. but since he's not here, i've always done what i can to do my part. because what we DO need on this planet is better people.

I guess I'll be the contrary opinion. Lennon was talented and did have a social message to his music, but he was still just an artist, and we certainly didn't need him then, and we don't need a John Lennon now.
I disagree.

We need more John Lennons.

Icons who fight to awaken the public consciousness.

There is no single figure who is a rock star producing respectable and innovative music who is also a legit social activist who has such pure beliefs in impossible ideals and a passion to fight for them.

2eakqrk.jpg

Though I guess MJ doesn't count now that he's gone too. :csad:

i'd disagree about MJ. while i was never really a fan, i can respect a lot of things he did. and despite his mass popularity, i dont think what he produced had as big of an impact on the history of music than lennon did (aside from crazy sales). plus, as a social activist, he couldnt touch lennon.

again, i respect him for a lot of things, but i dont think his legacy compares to lennons.

Well as a life long beatles fan , I think its comparing apples and oranges. There would be no Lennon, as we know him, without Elvis. Elvis changed his life which he always acknowledged. On the other hand Bob Dylan spoke about civil rights and social commentary when the Beatles were still writing I wanna hold your hand.

Elvis , The Beatles , and MJ have all had massive influences on pop culture and the world, for good or ill. To try to say one is better or more influential then the other is shakey ground to stand on imo.

Well as a life long beatles fan , I think its comparing apples and oranges. There would be no Lennon, as we know him, without Elvis. Elvis changed his life which he always acknowledged. On the other hand Bob Dylan spoke about civil rights and social commentary when the Beatles were still writing I wanna hold your hand.

Elvis , The Beatles , and MJ have all had massive influences on pop culture and the world, for good or ill. To try to say one is better or more influential then the other is shakey ground to stand on imo.

Nope. The public is fairly conscious. They just don't care. Hence Bono being labeled a *****e.
Bono fights to help the poor.

Not sure why that would make him a *****e.

I guess you like it better when musicians just pose next to their 3rd hummer on MTV cribs. If they become social activist or fight for peace they'll be labeled a "*****e". :whatever:

Bono fights to help the poor.

Not sure why that would make him a *****e.

I guess you like it better when musicians just pose next to their 3rd hummer on MTV cribs. If they become social activist or fight for peace they'll be labeled a "*****e". :whatever:

Yep.

Activists in general are *****ey and world peace is a pipe dream.

Did someone just try to compare MJ a f**king child molester to John Lennon. Are you kidding me!

This sh** needs to stop. Before MJ died he was the brunt of everybodies jokes. Now everybody is on his nuts. It is absolutely sickening.

& John Lennon was just another one of the many things the Baby boomers told us Gen Xr's that was so magical when it was really nothing special.

Lennon was a pop star. Nothing more, nothing less. I am sure in 14 years some one will be trying to say Kurt Cobain was the greatest of his generation. Its all hype.

Did someone just try to compare MJ a f**king child molester to John Lennon. Are you kidding me!

This sh** needs to stop. Before MJ died he was the brunt of everybodies jokes. Now everybody is on his nuts. It is absolutely sickening.

I did.

And he was the brunt of everybody's jokes. Yet Lennon took a lot of abuse too. Until they died. Then eveyobody is on their "nuts" as you so eloquently put it.

But I'm not going to turn this into a debate. The Beatles and Michael Jackson introduced me to music. I respect Lennon greatly. I feel he was a huge loss to the world of music. He had a positive message. And wanted to make the world a better place. Nothing wrong with that.

RIP
10eeclj.jpg

Last edited:
I read a bio onhim and it gives more insight into a mman who grew up fighting the world and lost ansd how he grew to find peace and in a way a becon of hope. His life story is really inspiring as well as the music I grew up on. He will always be missed.

Lennon was just a singer/songwriter like anyone else. More gets made of him than needs to be.

What exactly did Lennon do for the world besides write songs.

I think Bob Geldolf, & Bono have done way more for the world than Lennon. Even that Psychic friends network chick who got everybody together to sing that We Are The World Song has done more for the world.

What exactly did he do?

I was 6 when John Lennon was killed. I didn't find out about it until the next day after school because my mom was a mess when I got home. She couldn't even listen to her Beatles records, and she stayed in the kitchen while my dad watched the coverage on the news. I sort of knew who he was, and I remember I thought the whole thing was scary.

Today, I think the saddest part of the whole thing was that he was really in a good place in his life: he'd sorted out a lot of problems he'd had years before, he had a wife and son he loved - he couldn't be a father to Julian and he was trying to make up for it with Sean - he was into music again and had a lot more to say. And then some bastard shot him outside his apartment building.

I have a friend who lived in that part of NY at the time, and she used to see Sean sometimes on her bus when she was going to school. She said he always looked like the saddest kid. Maybe he wouldn't have been if someone hadn't killed his father.

I adore The Beatles. I took a Beatles tour in Liverpool with my mom a few years ago and it was amazing. And I especially love John, he has the funniest scenes in A Hard Day's Night, which is one of my favorite movies. I think he was just taken from the world when he had lot more to say...and it was just a stupid, senseless loss.

Lennon was only a singer song writer. But lyrics can have a strong infulence on the world and move people in a way many cannot.The way of Lennos's songs made you feel that maybe peace was possible, and touched a cord with alot of people all over the world ad one that has even survived generation. Hell I was not alive when he was, yet I still feel a connection with his work and even my young kids do.

*****ey?

I think people who knock others for trying to help the unfortunate deserve that label much more.

Somebody's gotta be the "unfortunate", I'm just glad it's not me. If Bono wants to help them, let him do it by himself, he's rich enough.

anyone who characterizes lennon as nothing more than a singer/songwriter pop star has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are really showing their ignorance. please, go educate yourself. take the time to understand lennon and the beatles....you'll find your life much better because of it.

bono does good charitable things. but he really does come off as a *****ebag. im not sure exactly what it is. maybe its because U2 sucks. maybe its the way he carries himself. maybe because his name is effing Bono. but he's such a *****e. the edge too. can't stand those guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"