Joker 'JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX' (Phillips and Phoenix return for the sequel) General News & Discussion Thread

The first one was the definition of lightning in a bottle. A movie that came at the right place at the right time. You can't replicate this level of success for this type of film.

Also it was at the literal peak of superhero films, where the slate made more than 6 billion, while this year every single one of them bombed with the exception of Guardians 3 and even that didn't touch the average box office run of those films in 2019. We're talking about a time where a sequel to 1.13 billion dollar film in the biggest franchise imaginable made less than fricking Dark Phoenix.

Furthermore it's a musical and those don't end up making that much money usually. There are exceptions to the rule but it's not something that favours repeat viewings, especially for the audience a Joker film has.

No competition is certainly going to help the flick in October but some people seriously need to adjust their expectations for superhero films these days.

Deadpool could, and Joker is just that popular as a character.

Deadpool could, and Joker is just that popular as a character.
Deadpool was certainly fresh at the time it got out, but it was still very much a blockbuster action movie that offered some sort of spectacle. Joker was a crime film that was watched even by audiences that has never watched these types of films before. And again you're talking about a genre that was at its peak, while now it is lower that has been for a very long time.

Honestly I think the biggest thing this has working against it is that it's a musical. I'm very curious to see if they market it that way or if they try to con the audience a bit.

Honestly I think the biggest thing this has working against it is that it's a musical. I'm very curious to see if they market it that way or if they try to con the audience a bit.
I'm sure they will. There's a whole thing that Hollywood tries to hide the songs in the marketing. I think it's dumb to want to make musicals and then pretend they're not but executives just don't seem to be confident in the genre.

Here's an interesting article discussing that:
Hollywood Is Hiding Its Musicals

Hasn't it already been debunked that despite having a few musical numbers, this movie is not at all a musical?
It's not the clearest of quotes. The exact wording of the DP was:
Its got some music. It’s not a musical per se, but it’s like... it just has music in it, that’s all. Music is a part of the movie and the characters, but I don’t know if it’s a musical. But yes, there is music.
It's one of the most vague things I've read. "It's not a musical, it just has music in it" kind of makes me wonder if he knows the definition of the word. :oldrazz: I don't think anyone is expecting a recitative like Les Miserables, and there are films like Wonka that don't have that many songs but are still musicals.

To me that translates more to "please come see the movie, it's not all singing and dancing" rather than an actual debunk of its musical nature. I could be wrong though, but I wouldn't put much stock in that quote for now.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the film to draw some inspiration from Alan Parker's Pink Floyd: The Wall...
I mean, if you're talking to me about a deep dive into the psyche of a mad man with some music, that's where I want to set the bar!

I'll be as nice as I can be here, I didn't care for the 1st film as a Joker film, but it was fine as a crime film about a normal man's descent into insanity.
I can't see this Joker taking on a batman, unless the batman is just a normal guy in a batsuit.

Puddin and Mr J...I just hope their love story they make it similar to DCEU's Suicide Squad but also I wonder in this film if we get a teenage or 20 something year old Bruce? Batman tease perhaps

I just hope their love story they make it similar to DCEU's Suicide Squad
I think that I understand what you mean. But it’s funny, because I never thought that I’d ever hear someone say “I’d like more of Suicide Squad’s Joker characterization”

I think that I understand what you mean. But it’s funny, because I never thought that I’d ever hear someone say “I’d like more of Suicide Squad’s Joker characterization”
Well considering this sequel will have more of a musical type feel to it, then making Arthur similar to the Joker we see in the comics and past films is something you can play around with here

The inclusion of well-known songs only reinforces my feeling that the premise for this will be similar at least in some ways to The Singing Detective.

"Cinematographer Lawrence Sher recently spoke about the sequel, clarifying its genre (via @jokerfolienews on X).

“It's not a musical per se, it just has music in it,” he said. “The music is part of the film and the characters, but I don't know if it's a musical. But yes, there is music.” -Clutchpoints.com

15 cover songs isn't a musical? :funny:

"Cinematographer Lawrence Sher recently spoke about the sequel, clarifying its genre (via @jokerfolienews on X).

“It's not a musical per se, it just has music in it,” he said. “The music is part of the film and the characters, but I don't know if it's a musical. But yes, there is music.” -Clutchpoints.com

Well, it depends - are the characters singing or is the music just in the background while scenes are taking place?

If the second, many people wouldn’t consider that to be technically a musical and only deem musicals to be when people are seen singing.

I might be wrong, but from what I’ve heard it seems to be the second (background music, nobody seen singing) rather than the first.

(Then you also have ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ vs ‘Rocketman,’ while both feature singing - in film many wouldn’t consider the first to be a musical since it’s just a band performing whereas the second would be as it’s characters singing in the story rather than just performing)

A cover can simply be someone else singing it for the film rather than people shown singing it in the film.

From what people are saying behind the scenes, from what I’ve heard, it seems to simply be a strong emphasis on background music (a la Baz’s ‘Gatsby’) rather than showing people singing. I might be wrong though.

Last edited:

It's nothing but needle drops...

This being a musical inherently makes it way more interesting than the original.

I have zero expectations for this outside of Gaga and Phoenix likely being worth the watch so anything not like every other big movie is cool to me. I'll have a real opinion when I see something from it.

Them having to buy the rights to songs explains the glut in budget

Shame they couldn't get Prince in to just write a bangin' soundtrack, but that's life.

Them having to buy the rights to songs explains the glut in budget...
A biz article claims that major studios pay between $15,000 to $60,000 for the rights to a song. Taking the bigger value X 15, that would be $900,000. So, a relatively small part of a $200M movie. A good chunk of this particular budget seems to be going to salaries. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"