Jonny Depp could have been Batman

I do believe Johnny would have made one hell of a Batman. Therefore mixing my two obsessions. Johnny Depp && Batman =] But if E.S. would have come out soon, I do believe he would have got the part.

Depp was my first choice for The Joker on TDK before Ledger was cast, if Nolan is planning on recasting the role for Batman 3 I hope he considers Depp.

Depp would have been a terrible Batman,period.

He's too weird
too weird to dress up like a giant bat? haha seriously though i dont think it would've worked but he would be a great villain

Yeah I could sort of see him play Batman....sort of.

I mean Michael Keaton was a strech for some.

Depp may have the dashin Bruce Wayne plaboy looks. But he's far too small, he just wouldn't be physical enough, we all thought Keaton was too short and small to play the role and Depp is smaller than him.

Depp may have the dashin Bruce Wayne plaboy looks. But he's far too small, he just wouldn't be physical enough, we all thought Keaton was too short and small to play the role and Depp is smaller than him.

Exactly, tell me anyone what physical type role has depp ever done? I dont want anyone saying any of the pirates movies, cause most of those stunts werent him. I agree, he could probably pull off Bruce Wayne, but not an intimidating, brooding, animal-like batman.

I love Depp, but I couldnt see him as Batman... The Joker yes. That would have been cool.

I thought Depp was slightly taller than Keaton. IMDB lists Depp as 5'10" and Keaton as 5'9" (some who've seen Keaton in real life claim he's more like 5'7"/5'8"), not that that's important, since I can't see Depp as Batman/Bruce anyway.

I could see him as The Riddler not the way Jim Carrey type. A serious Riddler.

I think Johnny Depp would make a good Riddler, but i can not see him as Batman.

to add something to the bale villian talk...i always thought hed be the best pick for the joker...but he is batman(hes just an amazing actor that can adapt to anything actually)
Depp as Bruce Wayne i guess i can see...But him in the costume....nah

Johnny Depp as Bats? I dont know what to think about that.

But, I'll tell you what I do think. Depp and Burton need to end their little love fest and go their seperate ways. Sure, most of what they have made has been pretty okay, but I'd rather see Burton do his own s*** rather than writing roles just for Depp. And I would like to see Depp do his own stuff.

Depp was too young at the time. But I would've loved to see his performance.

Not really. He was born in 1963. That would have made him 25 years old when filming for Batman got underway...the exact age that Frank Miller said Bruce Wayne was when he returned to Gotham in Batman: Year One...

I've often speculated on how things would have gone if Depp had been Batman instead of Keaton...would it have worked? If so, how many sequels would we have gotten? We could conceivabley be in production for Batman 8 at this very moment..

Guess we'll never know...:brucebat:

Depp is an extremely versatile actor and its really funny how people bring up his looks in justification of what role he should play.

Question: Does Christian Bale (facially) look anything like Bruce Wayne from the comics. Sure he's got the hair down, but Bruce's strong, square jaw was always his signature, and Bale doesn't have that.

Another Question: Did Heath Ledger have (facially) the look of the Joker. Yes he has a huge smile, but he's broadly built, with a squarish face, and his jaw has a much more squarish quality, whereas the Joker of the comics has a very pointed jawline.

Facial looks really don't matter all that much, acting capability does, and Depp is one of the few actors in the business that could play just about any role he wanted. The same applies to Bale. Quite frankly I could see both of them playing any of Batman, Joker, or Two-Face, and I think they would do it quite masterfully. To be honest, I think Heath Ledger, may he rest in peace, could have done the same as well.

Not really. He was born in 1963. That would have made him 25 years old when filming for Batman got underway...the exact age that Frank Miller said Bruce Wayne was when he returned to Gotham in Batman: Year One...

I've often speculated on how things would have gone if Depp had been Batman instead of Keaton...would it have worked? If so, how many sequels would we have gotten? We could conceivabley be in production for Batman 8 at this very moment..

Guess we'll never know...:brucebat:

It probably would have gone exactly the same way. First him and Burton make Batman 1 mainstream style, it's wildly successful, Burton gets looser reigns on the sequel, he makes it darker, and more gothic, you get another Batman Returns and the reigns are handed elsewhere.

But, I'll tell you what I do think. Depp and Burton need to end their little love fest and go their seperate ways. Sure, most of what they have made has been pretty okay, but I'd rather see Burton do his own s*** rather than writing roles just for Depp. And I would like to see Depp do his own stuff.

Depp does do his own stuff...Pirates of the Caribbean, Secret Window, Finding Neverland(garnerd him an Academy Nom), and many other roles.

They are my favorite director/actor team, if Tim Burton believes Johnny is the best man for the job then so be it. Depp's an excellent actor who can play many different roles, I see no problem.

I use to think Depp was so much younger than he actually is(like a decade). He was in his late 20s in Scissorhands but I use to think for sure that Edward was a teenager!

Burton has done his own stuff in between. Since he met Depp he's also made Mars Attacks, Nightmare Before Christmas, Planet of the Apes and Batman Returns, Big Fish, that's 5/6.

As far as I'm concerned his batting percentage with Depp (5 for 5 out of the movies I've seen) trumps his betting percentage without (2 for 5 since they met, 4 for 7 overall).

And since meeting Burton, Depp has made: The Pirates Franchise, The Libertine, Finding Neverland, Secret Window, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, From Hell, Blow, Chocolat, Before Night Falls, The Man Who Cried, The Astronaut's Wife, The Ninth Gate, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Brave, Donnie Brasco, Nick of Time, Dead Man, Don Juan DeMarco, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Benny and Joon, and Arizona Dream.

Now I'm not going to argue about the quality here as its much harder for actors to stay in consistently good movies, but he's certainly getting his work in.

Some directors just work better with certain stars. Look at Martin Scorsese who used Robert De Niro countless times over and has now used Leo DiCaprio in 3 straight films and is attached to his next two. Alfred Hitchcock used certain actors repeatedly. P T Anderson had half of his casts identical in his first two films. Wes Anderson uses the same main cast members repeatedly (although the quality of his films have been, in my opinion, in decline). Mel Brooks combined with Gene Wilder for Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and the Producers, Christopher Guest's mockumentaries use the same players in every one, and Robert Zemeckis has combined with Tom Hanks repeatedly over the latter course of their careers.

Simply put some directors work best with some actors, and as far as I'm concerned, Burton hasn't exactly been limiting his artistic vision by casting Depp. He's had him as a quiet, naive, Edward Scissorhands, the extravagant, over-confident, transvestite director Ed Wood, the nervous, skeptical scientist in Sleepy Hollow, as a wacky, fun loving, mysterious candy maker in Charlie, as the voice of a claymation character, and as a men hell bent on revenge without an ounce of sympathy in his body. Burton might be stuck on one note visually in most of his films (which I would argue isn't necessarily true) but to say that he and Depp have been stagnating artistically by combining themselves is just foolish in my mind.

Johnny Depp is an amazing actor. His work is nothing short of spectacular, so I would never completely say "he couldn't pull it off", because there's no doubt in my mind he would nail the role somehow. He never ceases to amaze me.

That said, my question wouldn't be if he could be a good Bruce Wayne/Batman or not, but rather what other characters in the Batman universe he could play.

My opinion, he would make a great Joker. Or even the Riddler.

Yeah, Depp would be an amazing Joker. He was my choice before Ledger. I agree with alot of people who say Depp should play Joker if he returns in Nolan's 3rd film(if he makes a 3rd film).

Overall fact is Depp will never be involved in a Batman film, I just never see it happening.

I look at this... and i definitely see Bruce Wayne (minus the mustache)...

EdWood.jpg

Get some muscle mass and yes, i believe Johnny Depp would have been extremely capable of portraying Batman!! - Especially with Burton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"