Joss Whedon developing Marvel SHIELD series for ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
but if they feature mutants then people would be asking where the x-men are, wouldn't they?

but if they feature mutants then people would be asking where the x-men are, wouldn't they?

I guess. I don't really see how it's an issue. I mean, the X-Men don't have to be involved in every Marvel story involving mutants. Runaways has mutants in it but it's not an X-Book, the appearances the X-Men had in it were basically cameos anyway, pretty easy to cut out entirely.

I suppose, either way, whatever it is, I'm sure Whedon will deliver something epic beyond words.

I still think going for powered team shows is a pricey deal. Where as jessica jones, luke cage/ironfist are more tv friendly budget heroes. And I believe same goes for there head enemeies. Or we just do a shield show or that damage control/code blue concepts and just be a different pocket of the mu.

I still think going for powered team shows is a pricey deal. Where as jessica jones, luke cage/ironfist are more tv friendly budget heroes. And I believe same goes for there head enemeies. Or we just do a shield show or that damage control/code blue concepts and just be a different pocket of the mu.

The power levels of the Runaways don't seem much higher than anything that was done on Buffy regularly.

Except Old Lace. That'll be hard.

Ah well I don't know much on the group I was just thinking more for series budget it be better to have a smaller cast so then sfx/other budget can be used in other ways. Cause at most to be a viable show budget per episode would like be 2 maybe 3 mill if you are lucky. And over a 18-22 episode per season. I was just again thinking what's more finaicial show to go with.

Ah well I don't know much on the group I was just thinking more for series budget it be better to have a smaller cast so then sfx/other budget can be used in other ways. Cause at most to be a viable show budget per episode would like be 2 maybe 3 mill if you are lucky. And over a 18-22 episode per season. I was just again thinking what's more finaicial show to go with.

Well, that's not the only deciding factor in what show gets made.

Really, the only thing in Runaways that would be more in terms of FX than the stuff on Whedon's other shows would be Old Lace, a super intelligent telepathic dinosaur that serves as the animal familiar of one of the main characters.

Other than that you have a witch, a super strong kid, an alien who glows and flies, and two normal humans who use super science. Those are all things that were on Buffy and Angel plenty of times. It's really the dinosaur that's a potential budget problem.

and they could always use an animatronic and use camera tricks to hide the fact that it doesn't have legs, and just use cg for wide shots/action scenes.

and they could always use an animatronic and use camera tricks to hide the fact that it doesn't have legs, and just use cg for wide shots/action scenes.

Yeah but that's still expensive. That's totally how they would do it but it costs the monies.

I know that question, I was just looking into the costs on production side of things and all that. That is why I think keeping things toned down to more tv friendly things would be better deal. So then story and characters can be developed well and maybe and of course big maybe counting on what the show is maybe get some mcu film cameoes in like maria hill, to maybe even samual jackson. But that of course isn't to likely.

I don't like the idea of Young Avengers or Avengers Academy just now because it feels so soon after The Avengers. The Avengers should be established as a team for awhile before something like this comes along.

I think it would be a good time actually. They were already putting an Avengers team together during all the solo movies and since the team was a success, it would make sense that they would jump on training other superpowered/nonpowered people/teens as a potential back up should the Avengers ever fail. SHIELD doesnt seem like the type to wait around to do something, Earth had just been invaded by aliens, who knows whats next? So time to build up what you can.

S.W.O.R.D. is also a possibility, seeing as Whedon created it for his X-Men run and all.

I'm definitely interested in this.

Would be possibly doable going star trek/farscape style.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the status of spin-off heroes?

For instance, would people be able to pursue characters such as Spider-Girl or Spider-Man 2099 for live-action TV or would those rights be in the hands of whoever owned the live-action movie rights of the parent character (e.g. Sony with Spider-Man)?

will the tv show be apart of the same universe the films are in

Fair or not a large portion of the potential audience would blow it off as a teen melodrama. Look at the shows that have had long, healthy runs on ABC

If this was the CW, sure. But the CW's viewership expectations are like half the Big Four's

Fair or not a large portion of the potential audience would blow it off as a teen melodrama. Look at the shows that have had long, healthy runs on ABC

If this was the CW, sure. But the CW's viewership expectations are like half the Big Four's

As with all things it comes down to quality and the writing. Joss Whedon his huge right now. With his name attached I think it more than likely people will give it the benefit of the doubt. In addition, the cult that followed Buffy are much more mature now so there is already an adult audience to which a Runaway project, or any JW project, would appeal.

At the same time, a fair point is raised. Most of the shows on ABC right now have a very Soap Opera and/or romance novel feel to them. Even Castle, a show I kind of like, is basically the plot of a romance/murder novel done reasonably well (which is kind of fitting given what the subject matter is).

A post modern sci-fi/fantasy series about teenage rebellion and the sins of one generation effecting the next isn't exactly their bag at the moment.

Granted, by that standard Lost was kind of the odd one out while it was on the air so you never know.

Ya the tv landscape has chaanged a lot and counting on what characters the show is who knows the direction it be. But going a hoh/shield show I think would fit well with abc.

Ya the tv landscape has chaanged a lot and counting on what characters the show is who knows the direction it be. But going a hoh/shield show I think would fit well with abc.

I'd hope for HfH, then. TV sorely needs a sic-fi/fantasy blacksploitation/kung fu detective dramedy.

Last edited:
HfH would be awesome, you have a great core group of characters in Cage, Iron Fist, Knight, Wing, and Jessica Jones. Plus a ton of potential guest/recurring characters in people like Black Knight, Spider-Woman, Shang-Chi, Herc, Moon Knight, Valkyrie, etc. Maybe even Blade or Daredevil (if they get the rights back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"