Joss Whedon developing Marvel SHIELD series for ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulk is too big for the small screen, and if it's just gonna be a team of young'ish good looking people spurting out pop references every now and again then i'd rather all of them stayed on the big screen, that being said, if i was pushed into what i'd like played out on my T.V then i'd have to say maybe The Punisher (that way no more below par movies need to be made and other characters can pop up now and again, although they probably would'nt be able to capture the correct violence level on T.V) or Marvel Zombies, that'd be cool, big screen or small.

"Energy from the destroyer gun raises the dead" is an enormous leap. Audiences won't buy it. I don't buy it. It's needlessly silly.

I don't see why people need some kind of supernatural explanation. Just say the medics managed to save him and fury lied about his death. It's not hard, people.

But somehow a man can fly by whirling his hammer?

A cube can open dimensional portals??? And you are saying that alien Asgardian energy can't have strange effects on humans???

As someone just said, Maybe Coulson is not dead.....maybe he still had a spark of brain activity and that's all the weapons radiation needed......whatever!

What's the frikkin' leap, dude?? It's Marvel! It's comic book stuff!! Gamma rays dont cause cancer. They make green super strong monsters, instead!! Talk about leaps???? Really???

Seems you only like the "leaps" you want to like!

My explanation is plausible in a comic book universe......

And if you want a "non-supernatural" or "non-super science" resolution, go watch NCSI or something.

Fans aren't bothered by seeing "sci fi" explanations! Geez....:facepalm:

Last edited:
Radiation from a gun saving his life is pretty stupid. No offense. Yeah its a comic book film where gods fly and men turn into enormous green rage monsters but when retconning a scene and bringing a character back to life it takes a certain finesse. You cant just stick your hand in the hat and pull out the first rabbit you come across.

Because not everyone goes to the cinema/watches movies and more importantly, not everyone who watched are going to remember it in detail years later.

Dude!! ENUFF folk saw this movie!! It made over a billion and a half at the theatre!! Those same people watch TV too!!!

DVD sales are huge too. If people need refreshers, just pop it in!

With "some" movies, you cant make assumptions! With this one, YOU CAN!!

Just looked up Chloe Bennet on Google. I wonder why Whedon cast her. She looks like she could be Ming Na's daughter. Will she be related to Melinda May?

But somehow a man can fly by whirling his hammer?

A cube can open dimensional portals??? And you are saying that alien Asgardian energy can't have strange effects on humans???

As someone just said, Maybe Coulson is not dead.....maybe he still had a spark of brain activity and that's all the weapons radiation needed......whatever!

What's the frikkin' leap, dude?? It's Marvel! It's comic book stuff!! Gamma rays dont cause cancer. They make green super strong monsters, instead!! Talk about leaps???? Really???

Seems you only like the "leaps" you want to like!

My explanation is plausible in a comic book universe......

And if you want a "non-supernatural" or "non-super science" resolution, go watch NCSI or something.

Fans aren't bothered by seeing "sci fi" explanations! Geez....:facepalm:

Not all sci fi explanations are equal. It is much easier for a viewer to buy a magic hammer making someone able to fly by spinning it than it is for them to buy radiation from a gun raising the dead. The later is absolutely sillier than the former.

People are willing to suspend their disbelief, generally, for two reasons:

1: If the thing that's weird and out there is presented, from the very beginning, as being mystical and mysterious.

2: If the way in which it defies reality is in a way that the audience is not familiar with.

The cube is acceptable because it is, from the very beginning, portrayed as being otherworldly and powerful, and the way in which it's silly pertains to aspects of physics that most people never think about.

The gun was portrayed as a gun, and people generally have an understanding of what a gun is and what it does. It giving off radiation is so far off from that, and in fact the exact opposite of that, that people won't buy it. It will seem forced and silly to them. Partly because it is forced and silly.

Maybe you could get them to buy it, but it would require a lot of complicated explaining and retconning to make it seem plausible, you certainly couldn't just drop it on them and expect them to go with it.

Also, you can't use "it's a comic book universe" as an excuse to pull anything right out of nowhere. If you do that, the logic of the narrative will start to completely break down, the verisimilitude with vanish, and people will stop caring because it will start to feel more and more fake.

Also also, in response to your NCIS comment, I'm not against a sci-fi explanation because I have a prejudice agains them, I'm agaisnt a sci-fi explanation because there is absolutely no need for a sci-fi explanation. Saying that the medical team managed to save Coulson off screen and that Fury simply lied about his death to the team is completely believable, much simpler, and doesn't contradict anything we saw.

That's another thing: In a story, you should try and keep things as simple as you can, unnecessary complications just bogs down the story. What you're suggesting is extremely complicated.

Dude!! ENUFF folk saw this movie!! It made over a billion and a half at the theatre!! Those same people watch TV too!!!

DVD sales are huge too. If people need refreshers, just pop it in!

With "some" movies, you cant make assumptions! With this one, YOU CAN!!

Yes, a lot of people watched the movie. However, how memorable and meaningful was it relative to everything else that has happened in their lives before, during and since watching that movie?

Or for comparison, how well do you recall that random movie you watched a couple of years back and haven't watched or thought about since? Is it enough for you to go, "Oh, that one guy that died is now alive in some other random TV series that may or may not be connected to that movie from a couple years ago? Yeah, now I definitely need to keep watching this show."? Because that's the mentality the creators need to take into consideration. The Avengers, or even the MCU franchise in general, is not all that important or hold a particularly big place in life to the average TV viewer.

Sure, lots of people watched it. Hell, pretty sure lots of them even liked it. Doesn't mean they will remember every single detail of it or slavishly follow everything based off of it.

Last edited:
So what's up with the character rights for tv? Fox and Sony only have movie rights, yeah? Does that mean it's possible (however unlikely) for Spider-man or Dr. Doom to make an appearance down the road? That way all the marvel characters could be in one shared universe, but not all of them could show up in the movies.

I think it's generally live-action across the board; which is why Marvel has been free to do animated features all this while. Additional evidence; the Blade TV series had been made by New Line, who also made and owned the rights to the Blade movies.

Radiation from a gun saving his life is pretty stupid. No offense. Yeah its a comic book film where gods fly and men turn into enormous green rage monsters but when retconning a scene and bringing a character back to life it takes a certain finesse. You cant just stick your hand in the hat and pull out the first rabbit you come across.

And radiation can make a man stretch and make another man burst into flame??

But it cant revive a life?? Even if this radiation is not from this world??? You cant even give it that much of a possibility?

But you can accept all the other things that sci fi comic book radiation can do??

This is one interesting message board.....:funny:

Yes, a lot of people watched the movie. However, how memorable and meaningful was it relative to everything else that has happened in their lives before, during and since watching that movie?

Or for comparison, how well do you recall that random movie you watched a couple of years back and haven't watched or thought about since? Is it enough for you to go, "Oh, that one guy that died is now alive in some other random TV series that may or may not be connected to that movie from a couple years ago? Yeah, now I definitely need to keep watching this show."? Because that's the mentality the creators need to take into consideration. The Avengers, or even the MCU franchise in general, is not all that important or hold a particularly big place in life to the average TV viewer.

Sure, lots of people watched it. Hell, pretty sure lots of them even liked it. Doesn't mean they will remember every single detail of it or slavishly follow everything based off of it.

Thats all people are talking about ! Coulson's death!! Even my wife loved him! She's not even a comic book fan! And why do you think they are bringing him back???

Because he is MEMORABLE! They know this TV show will fail without him.

Not all sci fi explanations are equal. It is much easier for a viewer to buy a magic hammer making someone able to fly by spinning it than it is for them to buy radiation from a gun raising the dead. The later is absolutely sillier than the former.

People are willing to suspend their disbelief, generally, for two reasons:

1: If the thing that's weird and out there is presented, from the very beginning, as being mystical and mysterious.

2: If the way in which it defies reality is in a way that the audience is not familiar with.

The cube is acceptable because it is, from the very beginning, portrayed as being otherworldly and powerful, and the way in which it's silly pertains to aspects of physics that most people never think about.

The gun was portrayed as a gun, and people generally have an understanding of what a gun is and what it does. It giving off radiation is so far off from that, and in fact the exact opposite of that, that people won't buy it. It will seem forced and silly to them. Partly because it is forced and silly.

Maybe you could get them to buy it, but it would require a lot of complicated explaining and retconning to make it seem plausible, you certainly couldn't just drop it on them and expect them to go with it.

Also, you can't use "it's a comic book universe" as an excuse to pull anything right out of nowhere. If you do that, the logic of the narrative will start to completely break down, the verisimilitude with vanish, and people will stop caring because it will start to feel more and more fake.

Also also, in response to your NCIS comment, I'm not against a sci-fi explanation because I have a prejudice agains them, I'm agaisnt a sci-fi explanation because there is absolutely no need for a sci-fi explanation. Saying that the medical team managed to save Coulson off screen and that Fury simply lied about his death to the team is completely believable, much simpler, and doesn't contradict anything we saw.

That's another thing: In a story, you should try and keep things as simple as you can, unnecessary complications just bogs down the story. What you're suggesting is extremely complicated.

The "GUN" like the CUBE, has it's origins in ASGARD!!! They reverse engineered the DESTROYER from Thor!! Do you see how it looked beofre firing!?? It was the same energy.

Are you being obtuse on purpose??

By that logic anyone present when the destroyer attacked the town should be mutated.

Just putting this out there, if the gun was responsible for Coulson's resurrection and SHIELD were aware that this was the reason then whenever someone else dies the audience will just say why don't they use the Asgardian tech. Whilst it's an idea, it's one that could cause complications later on.

I'm betting Whedon will play the Fury manipulated them card. To be honest I think what happened to Coulson after he was stabbed would make a good intro to the show, have him being pushed on a stretcher or something with a cameo from SLJ and then before the intro titles Coulson opens his eyes.

The "GUN" like the CUBE, has it's origins in ASGARD!!! They reverse engineered the DESTROYER from Thor!! Do you see how it looked beofre firing!?? It was the same energy.

Are you being obtuse on purpose??

I'm not being obtuse at all.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to write a story where radiation from a gun has a side effect of raising the dead. I'm saying that the concept of radiation from from a a gun having the side effect of raising the dead sounds incredibly silly and is a bad idea that almost no one will take seriously.

I'm also arguing that using the excuse of "Asgardian energy" to basically do whatever you want and write yourself out of any corner is kind of lazy writing.

This conversation bores me. Someone travel forward in time and bring us back some set pics. :o

No reaching explanation is needed. He was never dead in the first place. It was all part of Fury's ruse to manipulate them.

Thats all people are talking about ! Coulson's death!! Even my wife loved him! She's not even a comic book fan! And why do you think they are bringing him back???

Because he is MEMORABLE! They know this TV show will fail without him.

That's may be all people talked about here. But out on the street? How many? And how many of them are still talking about it today?

And I disagree with the notion that Coulson's presence would make or break the TV series. Lots of shows don't feature Coulson and they do fine.

Last edited:
Or don't use a life model decoy. Just say that the doctors managed to save him offscreen and Fury lied. Much more straightforward explanation. LMD not needed.

Can this debate be over by the next page? It's just dull at this point... :o

Hence, use the Life Model Decoy and be done with it.....

This IS a high tech "super science" organization in the first place.....

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/strange135-1.jpg

Or don't use a life model decoy. Just say that the doctors managed to save him offscreen and Fury lied. Much more straightforward explanation. LMD not needed.

Either would work. They just need to decide whether they want to bother with introducing LMD's in the movie verse beyond just an easter egg. Just saying he never died and Fury lied is certainly the simplest way.

SHIELD has in it's posession various alien techs it has found over the years. It's not unbelievable to think that one of them may have a primary or secondary or even side effect of raising the dead.

Other alien tech in SHIELD's possession could also have the secondary effect of finally making the Abomination sprout comic book ears if he puts in an appearance. Who is to say it can't?

If SLJ can't make any appearances in the show, they could always get a white guy for 616 Fury and say that alien tech has a temporary effect on him that makes him change appearance, but he later changes back for the movies.

SHIELD has in it's posession various alien techs it has found over the years. It's not unbelievable to think that one of them may have a primary or secondary or even side effect of raising the dead.

[/QUOTE]
FINALLY!!!!

SOMEONE WHO IS AT LEAST BEING "HONEST" ABOUT SCI FI POSSIBILITIES!! :doh:

If not raising the dead, at least healing the critically injured like Coulson.......someone on the brink of death....

The Destroyer was created by Odin!! It was embewed with the Odin Force....who knows what those energeries could do??

Stop with the ultra realistic crap! SHIELD is based on a Marvel Universe concept.

You want realism, go watch Law & Order, NCIS, Hawaii Five O or a variety of other cops shows.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"