Jude Law IS ????

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Dark Raven, Oct 29, 2014.

1. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Probably not, lol. To be fair, him dying is NOT a part of her origin in the comics...he died several years later in an unrelated story. BUT she also didn't take the Captain Marvel title for decades and eventually did so in honor of him so...yeah, since she'll be taking up that mantle right away, I'd say his survival prospects here aren't great.

2. Silvermoth Avenger

I get the feeling we’re not seeing the fun Captain Kirk type captain mar-Vell this time. He’s more of a Giles type I reckon. Understands how bad war is and trying to train his protege to survive and win

3. marcvader Lurker #1

Looks good. I wonder where the blue and red suit color change will come from. Will it still be connected to Mar-Vell some how? I certainly hope so.

4. Abudefduf Registered

These weird gauntlets that Mar-Vell is wearing... could they be the MCU version of the Nega-Bands?

5. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

If that's the case that's not good. He could be any random mentor then if he's not even named Mar-vell now. If he doesn't have his classic look or his name, why use him as the character?

6. marcvader Lurker #1

I doubt he's not named Mar-Vell and called something else. That would be dumb and pointless.

7. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I would be shocked if he was not named Mar-Vell. But, perhaps he goes by Mar or something like a nickname for most of the movie.

8. David H. We’re not owed anything.

So, maybe they’re mixing in elements of Yon-Rogg into his character and, in the midst of the conflict, Carol has to take a stand against her mentor? That could be interesting. Law describes him as an inspirational, conservative leader. Maybe he’s the reason Ronan and Korath turn into radicals.

9. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

That's weird that they aren't divulging the name of his character. I thought it was already confirmed that he's playing Mar-Vell?

Maybe he becomes a villain later in the movie? Marvel has done some villainous twists on heroic characters before.

10. marcvader Lurker #1

I really hope they just stick to the Skrulls as villains and don't fudge up Mar-Vell FFS.

11. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Time to flip out.

12. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Maybe they aren’t divulging his name because it’s supposed to be a bit of an “aha!” reveal late in the game for the audience. You know, a “so THAT’s where she gets her name from!” kind of moment. Since most of the GA is oblivious to this character’s origins, they could probably pull something like that off.

13. marcvader Lurker #1

This is my thought to why they haven't divulged Law's name but you never know.

14. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I hope they aren't suddenly ashamed of the source material, or thinking that it would sound too corny that his name is Mar-Vell, which gives the name Marvel, and is the same name as the studios producing it.

He better not be called Mar-Rogg now or something silly. Then audiences will be wondering why Carol isn't Captain Marrog.

15. David H. We’re not owed anything.

They’ll keep the name. It wouldn’t even be the corniest thing in the MCU.

16. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

What would you consider the corniest thing in the MCU?

Maybe for audiences though, Marvel think that Mar-Vell would sound too corny, even after all these decades that the character has been in existence.

I wonder if Carol is even going to go by Captain Marvel or whether she'll always be Captain Danvers. Even with Captain America they barely use that. It's always Captain Rogers or Cap.

And it better not be like the end of Skyfall where Bond says to Moneypenny after a whole movie and adventure together "we haven't been introduced" and she replies "Eve Moneypenny."

We don't want some "aha" moment only at the end where he says "Mar-Vell" and the audience go "oh, that's where it comes from!"

17. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Steve: The First Avenger.

18. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I just had a crazy thought - the fact that they haven’t mentioned anything about becoming half-Kree via any kind of accident has me wondering if we might be getting an Ego situation with Mar-Vell. Not the villain aspect, but the dad aspect. They did say they were changing her origin and when they cast Annette Bening as her mom, sources were suggesting she was the alcoholic/disaster parent instead of Carol’s dad like the comics. So now I can’t help but wonder if she’s half-Kree from birth and she leaves Earth to escape her life here and goes on a hunt for dad/her other home. Which would also explain why Mar-Vell takes special interest in her as described by the article. Jude IS barely old enough to be Brie’s dad, and if Mar-Vell stopped aging when he got his powers (maybe HE got them via an accident or experiment and Carol just inherited them) then that doesn’t matter anyway. Not sure how I’d feel about such a major change but it feels like a very real possibility to me right now.

hopeless and Iceman like this.
  19. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They better not make Mar-Vell her father now.

And they better not turn him into a villain. From Agents of SHIELD, it would seem as if all the Kree are villainous.

20. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I am thinking Mar-Vell will be sort of an antagonist at some point in the movie. The Kree won't have good intentions for Earth and I am sure he knows of the ill intent of his people (though Carol likely doesn't). But he will probably betray the empire and die in the end. That is my guess.

21. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I think they’ll betray the empire together, and yeah, he’ll die in the process. She wouldn’t take his name if he turned out to be evil, lol.

hopeless likes this.
  22. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Agreed. It would make no sense to take his name if he were evil. I am not sure they will rebel together, though. I think Mar-Vell likely will have reservations about what he is ordered to do, but in the end intend to be loyal to his empire. But Carol will sway him at some point to rebel. I am assuming that his rebellion will come closer to the end (have some kind of Steve/Bucky like moment from TWS where Mar-Vell realizes he has to help her).

23. flickchick85 Admin of Might

That certainly sounds like a possibility.

24. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

What if they make Carol like "Dr Smith" in the Netflix Lost in Space series? Maybe she just steals Captain Mar-Vell's identity in the end to escape.

25. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Maybe she sees it as a way of clearing the name, the title of Captain Marvel, from errors committed by her predecessor. If they movie starts with her already an ally of the Kree then, maybe, she’s adopted certain ideals. Ideals Law’s character maybe takes too far. Didn’t they just say he ardently believes in the Kree’s supiriority?