Jude Law IS ????

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Dark Raven, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Really liking some of the suggestions on here about Law's character. They all sound like they could work well in streamlining and updating his and Carol's histories/origins.

2. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

This is EXACTLY what I think we are going to get. Thus the reveal of her hero name and the reasons behind her adopting it.

3. Silvermoth Avenger

He sounds like a good little boy of the empire which makes sense. It’s like when you hear the stories of the old redcoats during the British imperial days and they thought they were the romantic leading men who were saving the world, white mans burden etc. but basically from birth they were loaded with enough propaganda and patriotism they couldn’t be anything but perfect foot soldiers for the empire.

That’s not a good sign for what the kree plan to do with Earth

4. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I don't think Marvel will make him evil.

Marvel has done a pretty solid job giving their original superhero characters a solid portrayal. The original Guardians (Yondu, Starhawk, ect) and original Ant-Man & Wasp (Hank and Janet) got decent portrayals so far.

I can see Mar-Vell being a Kree loyalist and switching sides to being pro-earth like he did in the comics. He could get killed by Ronan or some other Kree as they view him as traitor as they did in the comics.

Mar-Vell switching allegiances to the humans and being a traitor to his own people is pretty much a major element of his characters backstory so I wouldn't be too shocked to see a version of that in the movie.

5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This sounds very interesting to me. If they are going to change the origin, then I could live with this. Could make for an emotional payoff near the end of the film too.

6. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Good to see Jude in his Kree outfit too. Hope they have given him a great role.

7. Silvermoth Avenger

I wonder if after we see the trailer tomorrow we might need someone to change the name of the thread?

8. Aximili86 Registered

Yeah. Kinda seems like they might be doing another character mish-mash here.

9. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

With only a quick glimpse of him in the trailer, looks like we'll have to continue wondering who he's actually playing.

10. Silvermoth Avenger

I reckon Aximili86 might have a point. Maybe they thought the name Mar-Vell was too on the news so this is Genis-Vell?

If that’s the case then who could play Mar-Vell in a sequel? It looks like they might be making the kree British like they made the skrulls australian. You know who would be a fun Mar-Vell?

[​IMG]

Hugh grant

11. Aximili86 Registered

Eww. Nah, Blinky can **** off. :) Can't stand Grant.

12. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

As I've mentioned in another thread, maybe Carol is Mar-Vell. Perhaps that is her Kree name, so that the audience and people on earth can mistakenly call HER Captain Marvel. If Law's Mar-Vell is not even visiting earth or barely in it, then it might not seem that much of a payoff when someone mispronounces the name. If it's her name instead, then it's a bigger thing. Does she not have a Kree name since she has been reprogrammed to think she is one now?

Or she could steal his identity at the end if he is indeed Mar-Vell. A bit like Dr Smith in Netflix's Lost in Space.

It is entirely possible he is Yon-Rogg, or that they've combined Yon-Rogg with Mar-Vell. They could also think it's too on the nose to call him Mar-Vell and might not use that name at all now. Hopefully not though, as someone at least should have the name Mar-Vell to mispronounce as Marvel. Otherwise why does Carol even go by that name?

13. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

LOL, maybe the title of this thread should be changed to: Jude Law MIGHT BE Mar-Vell

14. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Or do it as an Anchorman-type question "I'm Mar-vell?"

15. Silvermoth Avenger

You know, if Law isn’t playing Mar-Vell, you know what would be a good Easter egg? Getting Casper van dien to play him. The film is clearly hugely inspired by starship troopers and he still looks pretty hot

[​IMG]

Plus I don’t think he’s done anything dodgy in the last few decades?

16. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Will his character die in this movie?

17. Aximili86 Registered

*Double take* Wait, what? Wheres the Starship Troopers stuff coming from?

Love Verhoeven and all, but beyond the "we've watched a lot of 90s action movies" stuff I don't really see any ST vibes here.

18. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

You'll have to explain how any of what was shown in the trailer indicates inspiration from STARSHIP TROOPERS. Cuz... I don't see it.

19. Silvermoth Avenger

Here's why Captain Marvel is set in the '90s

Plus I reckon the whole starforce vibe has a major starship troopers feel to it

20. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I'm reading vague allusions to 90's films and then the words "a little bit" in connection to Starship Troopers which was all prefaced by the words "even" kinda indicating it's inclusion as an afterthought. You posted the words "The film is clearly hugely inspired by starship troopers ".

So again... What precisely from the trailer indicates that to you?

21. Silvermoth Avenger

The look, the action, etc

22. Aximili86 Registered

That kinda reads to me more like Starship Troopers & Robocop were two of the first action movies from the general period, late-80s and through the 90s, that the person could think of. :oldrazz:

Broad sci-fi similarities aside, yeah, I don't really see there being much of an influence here. Terminator either for that matter, I think what they're getting at is just speaking really generally and how movies used to "feel" a little different pre-2000s. This won't be anywhere near as cynical & sneering as something like Starship Troopers, let alone the vulgarity & violence.

23. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Casper Van Dien will be too busy filming the next 3 Asylum movies to star in this film.

24. MbJ Registered

Potentially big spoilers.

Jude Law is apparently playing Yon-Rogg???
    [​IMG]

Guessing that's why the Marvel Legends figure called him "Starforce Commander" and not Mar-Vell.

Brian Braddock likes this.
  25. Silvermoth Avenger

Oh my gosh that funko cat is so effing cute

THORin likes this.