June '09 Previews

I figure it's one of two things:

1) Marvel f***ed up and that wasn't supposed to be part of the solicit that went out to the web/retailers.
2) Outcry was so huge and so fast that Marvel decided to remove it and just wait to see if the cancelation scare improves Iron Fist's sales over the next couple months.

On one hand, I want to say Marvel wouldn't be so cruel as to use a cancellation scare to boost sales.

On the other hand, Spider-Girl.

There's nothing I'd put past Marvel in their attempts to make a buck at this point. You'd think utterly dominating the market for like 3 years straight would have allowed them to mellow out a bit, but that's one of the differences between a corporation and a person, I suppose.

Man I'm lookin forward to that DA/X-men crossover. That's gonna be sweet. Silvestri is amazing.

Silvestri's Iron Man variant cover looks sort of terrible to me. Iron Man's a tough character for pencilers, though. He's much better suited to painters because of the whole shiny armor texture and light-up bits.

As long as Silvestri is drawing armor instead of a human facial expression, he's already a step up. I still remember the first chapter of Messiah CompleX, and how everyone seemed to be puckering or smirking the whole time.

Every '90s Image artist looks like a pale imitation of Jim Lee to me. I don't know if that's because they really are or if it's because Lee's art is the only kind in that style that actually looks good to me or what.

SKAAR: SON OF HULK #12
Written by GREG PAK
Penciled by RON LIM & DAN PANOSIAN
50/50 Covers by ED MCGUINNESS
We know what you've been waiting for. And it's finally come. Get ready for the Marvel Universe's most monumental clash this side of WORLD WAR HULK as the savage son meets his father's fists, Green Goliaths smash, and the puny humans of Planet Earth learn the meaning of HULK! VERSUS! SKAAR!
40 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

My list so far:

Invincible Iron Man #14 - "The un-huntable man" is Captain America, perhaps? That's who Hill was told to find. Anyway, things are certainly picking up.

Avengers/Invaders - Finally finishing up; decidedly "eh" so far, I must say. I expected better of the creative team.

Captain America #600 - Woot! UJ and Nick Fury show up on the Ross cover; hopefully indicating an appearance here. Plus, tons of kitschy backups from creators of years past! Incidentally, this will mean that, for a brief period, Cap should have the highest numbering of any Marvel title in publication, until Amazing Spider-Man's super-fast publication catapults it ahead.

Daredevil #119 - aka, "Preamble to a renumbering"; that's a rather strange cover, I have to say.

Fantastic Force #3 - I'm increasingly intrigued by this, I must admit.

Incredible Hercules #130 - really like the covers the new guy has been doing; also, much like Thor's journey into the afterlife, I somewhat doubt this will end with Zeus coming back.

War of Kings #4 - S'all good.

Guardians of the Galaxy #15 - see above.

Other stuff:

All-New Savage She-Hulk #3 - Damnit, I don't care about this; but it's written by Fred Van Lente, and the artist is great.

Exiles #3 - similarly, a strong creative team.

Captain America #600 - Woot! UJ and Nick Fury show up on the Ross cover; hopefully indicating an appearance here. Plus, tons of kitschy backups from creators of years past! Incidentally, this will mean that, for a brief period, Cap should have the highest numbering of any Marvel title in publication, until Amazing Spider-Man's super-fast publication catapults it ahead.
I was going to point out that Thor's numbering should be higher, but with the delays, Cap will probably pull ahead somewhere in the 3 months or so between Thor #'s 603 and 604. :o

Thoughts:

- Curious that with a quick post edit on NEWSARAMA, it is unknown if IMMORTAL IRON FIST #27 will truly be the "final issue" or simply the end of the arc. Sadly, sales of the book have dwindled since Brubaker and Fraction left the title; while Duane Swierczynski has actually done a fine job taking over, many in the audience probably saw the end of the launch run as a good time to leave the book. Which is a shame, honestly. It wouldn't be the first time Marvel "worked the internet" to try to drum up interest. Joe Q posted the identity of the next writer on DAREDEVIL on his own blog before "deleting" it hours later. Then, of course, the official announcement was made to the surprise of no one. Marvel's own sales rep noted online that CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-13 was to be canceled before they had to hastily deny it on Newsarama. While I understand needing to "work the internet" as part of the biz these days, what I don't appreciate are when Marvel will deny the obvious and take their audience for complete, utter fools when confronted about it. It makes me less inclined to pay a shop $20 a week for their dead trees.

If this is the end for IMMORTAL IRON FIST, it would be a shame, but not a surprise. One could say managing to get an Iron Fist book to survive over two years in this market isn't bad. Hope this "final" issue, or not, is a good one.

- INCREDIBLE HERCULES #130 also looks good, with the gang going head to head with Pluto, another one of Herc's longtime enemies. Sadly, this is another title in sales trouble.

- Considering the FANTASTIC FOUR have not been a strong enough franchise to support a spin off book for a very, VERY long time, I am still stunned that based on a Millar/Hitch run that is selling at a very pedestrian rate, it was deemed worthy of a spin-off, and one named after the LAST failed FF spin off of the 90's, FANTASTIC FORCE (starring the "New Defenders" of an alternate future reality). One of the biggest tragedies of the Big Two are that they seem to have a sense of, "when all else fails, just do what we were doing in 1994". This reeks of said logic.

- CAPTAIN AMERICA #600 looks epic, and I can't wait for it. Hopefully, though, the issue of reflection won't just seek to revive Rogers; as cool as he was, he had a print run of some 60 years, and the book has sold double without him. Brubaker's successfully done a changing of the guard and it would be a shame to abandon that. Still, original numbering is good. Of course, Bill Jemas would have gone back to lower numbering but knocked back prices of comics at least a quarter than what they are now, so to each their own.

- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #14 looks good, even if I am always wary of a "jump on" issue.

- I fail to see the logic of relaunching a SHE-HULK book that doesn't actually star the version of the character that people read about for some 100 issues of material.

- WAR OF KINGS of course is full steam ahead with WAR OF KINGS #4, which kind of sounds like a middling issue to be honest, depicting internal conflicts among the Shi'ar and Inhumans alike. It all is in the execution, though, and Abnett & Lanning are usually solid with that, so I have faith. Even if the normal cover is a bit generic.

- WAR OF KINGS: ASCENSION basically is inserting Darkhawk into a space opera he has absolutely nothing to do with with all the grace of a round peg into a square hole. It is because of that that I am curious how it will be pulled off. Darkhawk could use a boost, but hopefully he won't seem as random as Wraith did in ANNIHILATION CONQUEST. At at least hope whatever "revelation" about Darkhawk bares in mind that he is a person who literally swaps bodies with a living android body, and doesn't just "grow armor" as some other writers sometimes imply.

- I am iffy on WAR OF KINGS: SAVAGE SWORD OF SKAAR. I haven't read any of the SKAAR stuff because I wasn't interested, even though I read and enjoyed PLANET HULK (much more than WORLD WAR HULK, to be honest). It seems like a shameless tie-in one shot to revive interest in SKAAR since his book is not selling too well. I have no idea what point there is to it. But if it comes out in a quiet week, I may check it out. Gage is a good writer and Clayton Henry is a solid artist, it just is $4 for a character I know nothing about. I highly doubt, "son of Hulk who is having Conan adventures in what is left of Planet Hulk" is sufficient, and I lose interest when I need to surf wikipedia to enjoy a comic.

- NOVA #26 looks friggin' epic, and I am curious how exactly Richard regains his title and position. Looks to be very cool stuff.

- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #15 sounds a bit vague, but that is fine. It usually is always a better-than-average read. Marvel space is a great place to be, and it is Abnett & Lanning's wheelhouse. I hope Jack Flag sticks around, anyway.

- I actually liked the last TERROR, INC. series from MAX, so I likely will give the sequel a go.

- Robert Kirkman has usually been better with books where he has more control, and DESTROYER looks to be in that category. It may make more sense to trade-wait, especially as Kirkman has severed all ties with Marvel and this was likely his last contracted work with them, meaning there is no chance he would get an ongoing out of it, but I may buckle and grab it anyway.

- CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-13 #14 almost wraps up the Dracula story, and he's teaming up with his daughter, which is interesting because I recall Lillith hating her father in the past. This arc looks to be the most ambitious yet. But, sales are just terrible; they're at 18k now and likely will be worse by June, and I doubt Marvel will allow the book to survive without at least a relaunch for much longer. That may explain why we also are getting an ANNUAL to resolve the Meggan subplot. The only downer about that annual is the Greg Land cover, since all his copied and pasted ladies look alike.

- Unsure what exactly UNCANNY X-MEN: FIRST CLASS GIANT SIZE SPECIAL is. Perhaps to bridge the gap between XM:FC and UXM: FC.

- The sheer amount of Wolverine books and a magazine is staggering. If you thought we saw a lot of Iron Man in 2007-2008, then apparently we ain't seen nothin' yet. Logan's the king, baby. Anyone forget that he has a movie out in May 2009? :p

Thank god.I was afraid to lose one of my favorite books.

This is oddly similar to the Captain Britain scare about a month and a half ago...

This is oddly similar to the Captain Britain scare about a month and a half ago...

Indeed. Reposting an opinion of mine about that:

Just like that "rumor" spread by Marvel's own representative claiming CB&MI13 was being canceled?

Typing "Rouge" instead of "Rogue" is a typo. Typing, "STAY TUNED FOR THIS FINAL ISSUE!" is not a typo. Methinks Marvel wants to hint at some titles being canceled to drum up interest, but doesn't want to actually solict it as such because the retailers may drop off early, what with the economy and all. So best to leave a mystery until the end.

Marvel has "quietly" canceled books by ceasing to solict them often in the past. Paul O'Brien has chronicled a few times on his blog http://ifdestroyed.blogspot.com/ about how often times Marvel's advertisements and solicts can range from misleading to outright libel/bait and switch (including outright twisting reviews to promote WAR MACHINE). Frankly I won't be convinced of IIF's survival until I see August solicts and a copy in my hand that month.

Trusting companies at their word led us into this recession, after all. Color me skeptical, as always. Twitter or not. Brubaker doesn't even write or edit IIF. How would HE know? Besides, issue #27 is months away, so technically the book "isn't canceled" as of now.

Even if these false rumors or typo's are honest, it means that Marvel is not running a tight ship if employees can make such large errors, which puts as much faith in the EIC's competence than his reacting to a hentai cover with a, "Duh, I know absolutely nothing about manga, anime, or hentai, basically the biggest competition for readers under 40 that has actually succeeded where Marvel has failed to reach younger readers or female readers in every way possible; basically I know nothing about my own competition as a businessman." Yeah, lotsa faith, guy. Sometimes I see Marvel's dominance as less about success and more of them simply being less incompetent than DC has been for years.

What reviews did they twist to promote War Machine?

From Paul O'Brien's blog, 1/9/09:

Paul O'Brien said:
Friday, January 09, 2009
A note on War Machine...
Marvel has put out a press release entitled "War Machine #1 is a hit with critics everywhere". "Critics can't stop raving about his new series," it says. "Marvel urges retailers to check their orders on War Machine, as the series continues to draw acclaim from all corners."

This came as news to me. I could have sworn I thought it sucked. I thought I said so. And I wasn't alone.

"This isn't unique. This is just bad." - Comics Bulletin
"It would be great if it was actually meant to be funny... Bloody awful, really." - Comiks Debris
"Pretty lacklustre... The artwork was great for the material and its possble without it, the book would be terrible." - Comicbookmovie.com

Perhaps none of us are corners.

But Marvel quote positive reviews from Timothy Callahan at CBR, Brendan McGuirk at Newsarama, Bryan Joel at IGN and Tonya Crawford at BrokenFrontier.

Crawford did indeed give the book a positive review. So did McGuirk, although it was a one-paragraph capsule following on a decidedly mixed full review by David Pepose ("I'm not quite sure if this series will triumph or collapse (sic)").

Bryan Joel, however, gave the book 6.7 out of 10 and said "the issue seems to punish longer-term readers... [There are] new supporting cast members, neither of which have the spark that Rhodes and Suzi did. In terms of plot, the book is on the flimsier side... The New Nation story crammed more edge and wit into eight pages than the entirety of issue #1... I'm personally a little underwhelmed."

And Callahan gave the book two stars out of a possible five, describing it as "a pretty shallow basis for an ongoing series... Ultimately, this comic reads like a concept from 1992, when the way to make a comic more interesting was to load a couple extra rocket launchers on a character's back. ... [A]fter one issue, it really just seems like an armoured Punisher riff, and that's just not enough."

And these guys, remember, are being cited by Marvel as examples of universal critical acclaim.

Look, I know it's advertising, but there's a line between hype and outright lying, and claiming that War Machine #1 is a critically acclaimed comic - let alone trying to back that claim up with selective quotation from negative reviews - is just outright lying.

http://ifdestroyed.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

(Scroll to Jan. 9th, a little more than halfway down, just past the review of PUNISHER #1).

F*** that, War Machine is awesome.

Marvel Zombies 4!? They're kidding, right? Please tell me they're kidding. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"