June '09 Previews

Marvel Zombies 4!? They're kidding, right? Please tell me they're kidding. :csad:

Nope. MARVEL ZOMBIES apparently still sells within the Top 50. Which means they will keep selling versions of it until it sells outside the Top 100. Blood, stone. ;)

I guess I should appreciate the irony then.

Dread,

Does it really surprise you that Skaar sells so low? This book was even less pushed than a usual marvel half ass attempt...

It was a surprise book when announced and Marvel has brought Hulk down so quickly after being so high in seemingly mind baffling fashion. Most fans thought WTF? when they saw this book announced.

To me it looked like a "a new marvel way to do conan"..and maybe it was. but the book is dang good, and maybe you SHOULD be reading it.

With Ron Lim coming on board, I've added it my regular pull list and have been impressed so far.

I guess I have a habit of rooting for the underdog.

On marvel zombies 4...

Why not make this an ongoing? Especially if you are just going to do the minis back to back...MZ3 was pretty good even though I only managed a couple issues...

Dread,

Does it really surprise you that Skaar sells so low? This book was even less pushed than a usual marvel half ass attempt...

It was a surprise book when announced and Marvel has brought Hulk down so quickly after being so high in seemingly mind baffling fashion. Most fans thought WTF? when they saw this book announced.

To me it looked like a "a new marvel way to do conan"..and maybe it was. but the book is dang good, and maybe you SHOULD be reading it.

With Ron Lim coming on board, I've added it my regular pull list and have been impressed so far.

I guess I have a habit of rooting for the underdog.
This is truth. This and Incredible Herc are my top-2 favorite comics right now and Skaar is seriously awesome.

I'm not a Hulk Fan at all but did manage to pick up the past 2 issues of Skaar due to the Silver Surfer appearances. Turns out it's an awsome book. It's on my chopping block only because I have to cut a good 30% of my buy list due to not being able to afford it and my wife yelling at me.

It's worth a look into, Dread. Definately since you seem to like the Cosmic stuff like I do.

Hey! I just noticed Killpower and Motormouth on that Captain Britain cover! Awsome :)

I've made it pretty clear in other threads that I'm not a fan of the Hulk at all, but even I love Skaar. If you've ever wanted a Hulk who actually has a consistent personality (or a personality at all, for that matter), Skaar's your book. It's really good sword & sorcery fun.
From Paul O'Brien's blog, 1/9/09:

http://ifdestroyed.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

(Scroll to Jan. 9th, a little more than halfway down, just past the review of PUNISHER #1).
Wow. That's either a new low for Marvel or an old low that I'm just learning about.

Well, at least the guys who get paid to read comics largely agree that War Machine sucks. I knew I couldn't have been alone, but my discussions of the series have primarily been with Mr. Green, who inexplicably loves it.

Last edited:
I liked it, now I suffer through it. I should have jumped off the wagon as soon as they revealed that Jim was a cyborg.

They revealed that in Avengers: The Initiative. I'm reading it right now for Ares. Rename the book War God and follow him, and I'd continue reading. :)

While it's entertaining to see what military vehicle/weapons Jim will attach himself to each month, I don't think it's worth actual money anymore. Tom Welling.

It's improved, but it's not really that great. Pak should stick with Hulk and Hercules. He's really good with those characters.
It improved solely because Ares--for whom the over-the-top, shooty-shooty-kill tone of the series actually makes sense--showed up. I still can't stand Rhodey in the series.

And I still think Van Lente is doing the lion's share of the actual writing in Incredible Herc. The dialogue and tone of the series seems a lot more like one of his solo books than one of Pak's to me.

Full Solicitations; though, by this point, you're really just waiting on the trades and the weekly release dates.

Speaking of which:
HERCULES: PRINCE OF POWER PREMIERE HC
Written by BOB LAYTON
Penciled by BOB LAYTON
Covers by BOB LAYTON

In space, no one can hear you shout "Have at thee!"...unless you've got lungs like the Prince of Power! Centuries in the future, Hercules embarks on an extraterrestrial odyssey and finds there are more gods in the heavens than he imagined! With his computerized comrade the Recorder, he wows worshippers, attacks avatars and sires a son who may be an even more dangerous demigod than he is! Rigellians, Skrulls, carnivorous horses and more! Plus: interviews with Bob Layton, creator of Herc's 24th century! Collecting HERCULES: PRINCE OF POWER (1982) #1-4 and HERCULES: PRINCE OF POWER (1984) #1-4.

200 PGS./Rated A ...$ 29.99
Excellent; I've been hoping they'd release this, since I've heard so much about it.

The style of cover on the latest Brubaker Cap hardcover is an interest variation.

The desire to release all the SI trades around the same time seems to have really knocked Captain Britain and MI13 farther behind than most Marvel series are; "Hell Comes to Birmingham" gets a June release when the story in question ended in December; Marvel's trade program is normally far timelier than that.

I like the "peer pressure from Hell" cover of Dark Reign: The Hood:

24848new_storyimage7387586_full.jpg

I saw Loki's boobs before seeing who it was:

:D then :eek: followed by :huh: and finally :(

God, she looks like Snape

Definitely

Agents of Atlas #6
Astonishing X-Men #30
Avengers/Invaders #12
Captain America #600
Captain Britain and MI13 #14
Captain Britain and MI13 Annual #1
Daredevil #119
Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia
Dark Reign: Young Avengers #2
Fantastic Force #3
Fantastic Four #568
Guardians of the Galaxy #15
Incredible Hercules #130
Invincible Iron Man #14
Mighty Avengers #26
Uncanny X-Men #511
Uncanny X-Men #512
War of Kings #4

Lots of good stuff.

Maybe

All-New Savage She-Hulk #3
Cable #15
Exiles #3
X-Force #16

Not sure whether I'm interested enough in the "Messiah War" crossover.

Trades

Hercules: Prince of Power HC
Thor Visionaries: Walt Simonson v.3

At last, I can finish Simonson's Thor; I bought the first volume two Decembers ago.

You poor, poor bastard. Having to wait for any trade is bad, but having to wait for a Simonson Thor trade... :csad:

I also read Planetary in trade; Amazon.com actually has the hardcover solicited for this summer, so perhaps it'll finally be over soon.

Haha, I wouldn't bet on it. I'll just be happy to read the final issue sometime before I die.

Anyway, the full solicitations are up at Newsarama, in case no one posted them yet. I'll be getting:

Agents of Atlas
Astonishing Tales
Avengers: The Initiative
Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter
Captain America
Captain Britain and MI-13
Captain Britain and MI-13 Annual
Dark Reign: Young Avengers
Exiles
Guardians of the Galaxy
Immortal Iron Fist
Incredible Hercules
Invincible Iron Man
Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers ("Earth Cuddliest Heroes!" I love it. :D)
Mighty Avengers
Nova
Secret Warriors
Skaar: Son of Hulk
Terror, Inc. - Apocalypse Soon
Thor: Tales of Asgard by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
Thor: The Trial of Thor
Uncanny X-Men: First Class Giant-Size Special
War of Kings
War of Kings: Ascension
War of Kings: Savage World of Sakaar
Wolverine: First Class
X-Factor
X-Men: Legacy
Young Allies Comics 70th Anniversary Special

Maybes:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Dark Reign: Hawkeye
Dark Reign: The Hood
Dark Reign: Zodiac
Deadpool: Suicide Kings
Marvel Pets Handbook (I usually don't get these, but it's got Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder on the cover! I'll have to think about it.)
Miss America Comics 70th Anniversary Special
Ms. Marvel
New Mutants
Wolverine: Weapon X (I was fully on board before I saw that this issue contains a covert ops team of Wolverine wannabes. Now I'm rethinking whether I want to even bother with the series.)
X-Men Origins: Gambit

Last edited:
They revealed that in Avengers: The Initiative. I'm reading it right now for Ares. Rename the book War God and follow him, and I'd continue reading. :)

I wouldnt be surprised if Ares does something on his own.

He seemed a bit bothered in that one panel when he stood on his own for a sec...

Drawing covers for a bunch of stuff Dynamite publishes, last I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"