Superman Returns Just how much has been cut?!

S

slvknight

I heard today that they would cut footage from the movie over at comicbookresources.com in the lying in the gutters section, to make it under 2hrs 30mins but since they had 3 hrs of footage how bad can the cut make the movie be. I pray this doesn't hurt the movie. Also, I heard that dougherty said the krypton scenes were cut.:(

Well, I understand that they wouldn't want the film coming out to 3 hrs. I would expect 2 hr. 20-30 min. That's around the same as Batman Begins. No general audience would sit through a 3 hr Supes film, unless they were fans. It's just way too long.

Don't worry. This is NOT in the hands of 20th Century Fox. Only thing I'm worried about is the possible lack of a commentary- have there been any recent WB DVDs with commentary?

Anyways.... this is most likely under Singer's control. He knows what he's doing. WB is not Fox, thus the cuts won't hurt the film. Now if it was Fox doing the cuts- we'd have ourselves another DD or F4

Don't worry. I don't know of a film that isn't cut down before theatrical release. There's always a scene or bit that goes on for too long or too much expo, etc.

Actually, I find this hard to believe... but, I'll soon see when I enter the industry- aspiring film maker- the commentary on Bulletproof Monk, I think it was- mentioned that most films in their VERY original cut form are around 3 to 4 hrs.

Triligors said:
Actually, I find this hard to believe... but, I'll soon see when I enter the industry- aspiring film maker- the commentary on Bulletproof Monk, I think it was- mentioned that most films in their VERY original cut form are around 3 to 4 hrs.

Yup, what most people don't know is that there is a cut of Star Wars that is almost an entirely different movie, at least for the first hour or something. Details are vague since it's such a hard cut to find.

It's also rumored the Francis Coppola shot 200 (!!!!!!) hours worth of footage for Apocalypse Now (one of the greatest movies of all time).

they just shave a few second off every scene.i expect any shot with fx to be maintined.

Triligors said:
Well, I understand that they wouldn't want the film coming out to 3 hrs. I would expect 2 hr. 20-30 min. That's around the same as Batman Begins. No general audience would sit through a 3 hr Supes film, unless they were fans. It's just way too long.

Don't worry. This is NOT in the hands of 20th Century Fox. Only thing I'm worried about is the possible lack of a commentary- have there been any recent WB DVDs with commentary?

Anyways.... this is most likely under Singer's control. He knows what he's doing. WB is not Fox, thus the cuts won't hurt the film. Now if it was Fox doing the cuts- we'd have ourselves another DD or F4

singer will do a commentary trust me and also i think harry potter 4 (wb) had a mildly good commentary...cud be wrong tho:)

4 hour Superman movie, sounds good, where do I sign up. :)

Hope so. I don't know- could be one... that's why I'm wondering if WB has been doing recent commentaries:

Nolan usually does and Goyer typically always does a commentary. But, lack there of on Batman Begins.

Tim Burton always does a commentary for all his films. But, C&CF didn't have one.

Both WB films. Both by directors who typically do commentaries. So, don't know if this is WB policy- or what happened exactly....

Just checked HP 4 had NO commentary.

Triligors said:

Isn't that the truth.

**** those common fools who can't sit through a 3 hour movie! I want my 3 hr Superman epic!!!

It's because of those sissy whining fools who complained about the LOTR movies being 'too long'. If you can't sit through a 3hr movie then maybe you should take some ritalin.

Also those damn studio heads who demand a shorter running time so more seesions can be shown.

Titanic was 3hrs long and it made more money than any other movie in one single release in history.

Wise said:
**** those common fools who can't sit through a 3 hour movie! I want my 3 hr Superman epic!!!

It's because of those sissy whining fools who complained about the LOTR movies being 'too long'. If you can't sit through a 3hr movie then maybe you should take some ritalin.

Also those damn studio heads who demand a shorter running time so more seesions can be shown.

Titanic was 3hrs long and it made more money than any other movie in one single release in history.

everything stated here is PURE TRUTH

When I went to my local theaters site to check on tickets they had the running time listed as 2 hours and 40 minutes. Hopefully we'll see a good cut of the film. I just finished the book and was impressed. I can't wait to see how it adapts to the big screen. Hopefully all that I liked about the book will make the cut!

Triligors said:

/nice post.

I dont think 3 hours would be too long - reason being because this is a story being told of Superman.

His return at that.

People sat through a 3 hour film about a sinking ship and loved every minute.

But I hope like what Triligor stated is true - that Bryan Singer is in control of what is being cut or adjusted to fit 2 hours 35 mins or so.

3 hours is fine .....after all, its been how long since Superman has been away from the bigscreen?

He's Superman - He has more then earned 3 hours of our attention to hear His side of the story - especially the complete truth about why he really left.

If it's a great film, 3 hours wouldn't be a bad thing. I think the LOTR's example proves that. Is it true the Krypton scenes were cut or are you guys speculating?

The average person ain't gonna want to sit through 3 hours of it.

Just pray for a 3 hour long director's cut

3 hors movie would be too long and too boring, I want only 2:20 or 2:30.

Besides it is enough to tell the whole story with action sequences ;)

I dont think they will cut more than you think.

I'm just hoping that they release an uncut director's version on DVD. I hate the 'deleted scenes' sections and would rather just have one whole, complete movie.

Mr. Socko said:
The average person ain't gonna want to sit through 3 hours of it.

Just pray for a 3 hour long director's cut
Word :up:

As long as they release a director's cut the same time with the normal dvd cut.

I hate double dipping months later after I alerady bought the movie like with DD and Sin City

hasnt it been confirmed that they are releasing a dc at the same time as the regular dvd?

Wise said:

Just because it's longer does not mean it's a better, and I think LOTR is a good example of that, as is the recent King Kong crap movie. I love long movies myself, but you need to realize most people don't, and these are the people SR is aimed at. And I only like the long movie if it justifies it's length with good story, not drawn out action or just plain filler that is passed off as narrative.

There's plenty of movies that are great examples of why length does not = quality.

WTF? KIng KOng was one of the best movies i`ve seen for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"