Kathryn Bigelow’s 'Zero Dark Thirty'

I've seen it twice and thought the ending was beautiful in the ways it could be interpreted. Maya's crying, but is it relief and accomplishment? Or frustration? Bin Laden is dead, but what does she have now? Nothing.

She didn't overact. She was playing emotion rather than feeling emotion.

i dont see it that way...bigelow gave me the feeling that we have to connect with her for sure and she wanted emotions...just like spielberg does in his movies...

do you have any proof that it really happend? hollywood is fiction and it woulndt be the first time when a director changes things...it is based on true events doesnt mean everything is true...and im not a sexist asshat, just think shes overrated...

and your nolan reference is weak

Side note, and I'll drop it, I'm a big Nolan fan but seriously some patterns in his work start to reveal themselves after a while and women getting fridged as the catalyst for the plot is a consistent one even when he's making films from adapted material.

And saying a director is only critically successful because she's a woman is the definition of a sexist asshat.

Last edited:
I've seen it twice and thought the ending was beautiful in the ways it could be interpreted. Maya's crying, but is it relief and accomplishment? Or frustration? Bin Laden is dead, but what does she have now? Nothing.

Especially since it's prompted by the pilot's question of "Where do you want to go?"

Last edited:
Saw this yesterday, I enjoyed it although it is defintely overrated. It doesn't deserve the 95 Metacritic Score IMO, but I certainly liked it much more than THL- better main character, better plot flow and Bigelow certainly struck a much better balance between storytelling and capturing the viewer's attention. As for Chastain, I am perfectly fine if she wins the Oscar (although I am still on Team Riva); her "attention grabbing" moments may be few and far between (and unfortunately were also her weakest moments) and her character may be hard to empathize with, but her portrayal and transformation of Maya from rookie to veteran was absolutely captivating to watch. She definitely commanded the film from start to finish. One major gripe I have about the film though, was that the torture scenes just went on for far too long and much of it was frankly, unnecessary.

8/10

If anything it more often counts against her within the industry. Its not like she's ever been handed much of a budget to make her films and despite the huge amount of accolades thrown at this film, she was not nominated for Best Director again.

The Hurt Locker struck a chord with a lot of people and gained their attention and many of those people were excited to see what she would do further exploring the war on terror.

Looking again at the Best Director category for 2009 films what would you think if someone said Lee Daniels was only nominated because he's black? So there is no chance he might get treated differently because of his race?

Can you see now why making similar comments about Bigelow doesn't exactly reflect well upon you?

Last edited:
The only major issues i had with film is history of unaccuracy and loss of truths. Just because different tv show which do same subject also cover relevant fact and true doesnt mean that new big budget hollywood action blockbuster like this shud skip these same actual events.... Why no mention of abu nazir and cia attempt to catch him. What abt heroic effort of estes and team and loss of his life as he also fight terror. Tv show mention UBL but film nooooo mention abu nazir. Il aqbool abdul kheriat this totally dumb and failed movie writing

I really liked the movie. I saw it with my Dad, and older brother. I thought it portrayed the hardships, and frustrations of the 10 year hunt very good. I thought Jessica Chastain's Maya was a fine character. I think she looks great too. I haven't seen her in that many movies, but she always seems to have a great on screen presence at least to me. The ending with her was great too, because she's got all the weight of the last 10 years off her shoulders, and shes free in a sense or is she crying because she doesn't know what to do now I thought was great.

One thing I would have really liked about the film more was if we got to see more of the Seal members. I thought it would have been good to maybe see them all training together or something to show how they interact with each other, and maybe show them going on a few other missions or something. To me it kind of seemed like we didn't get to know them as fully as we could've. There part at the end though was really good. They weren't in, and out like some movies portray those kinds of operations. It was realistic, and very nicely shot.

Overall I think it was a real good film, and I'm glad I saw this in theaters.

If anything it more often counts against her within the industry. Its not like she's ever been handed much of a budget to make her films and despite the huge amount of accolades thrown at this film, she was not nominated for Best Director again.

but because she had it difficult in the past, and you can say whatever you want, women have difficult in hollywood or any business, so once in a while they get something. i think she was snubbed because the movie got bad media the last couple weeks...regarding torture...

The Hurt Locker struck a chord with a lot of people and gained their attention and many of those people were excited to see what she would do further exploring the war on terror.

hurt locker was good but not THAT good..

Looking again at the Best Director category for 2009 films what would you think if someone said Lee Daniels was only nominated because he's black? So there is no chance he might get treated differently because of his race?

Can you see now why making similar comments about Bigelow doesn't exactly reflect well upon you?

again...i wanna point out that you cant say that hollywood treats everyone the same, no way..

Yes Hollywood treats people differently.

That doesn't mean that writing off her success to the fact that she's a woman isn't squarely being a sexist asshat when there are countless examples that show that being a female is rarely if ever to the filmmaker's benefit.

Pretty much nothing that wins as big as the Hurt Locker be it The Artist, Lord of the Rings or Titanic is ever really THAT good but you don't see anyone being so patronizing towards those filmmakers.

Saying that someone is only nominated because of their race or gender is asinine when there is close to a century of evidence that shows how closed the director awards are towards anyone who isn't a white male.

Last edited:
feminist or not, the script doesn't give chastain a lot to work with.

This is basically what I sum her characterization up to be.

[YT]ew0h3xnwyR4?rel=0[/YT]

Last edited:
It really took a while for Chastain's character to move into the foreground and even once she did she didn't have much to do. I think she did reasonably well but I agree with others that it wasn't necessarily award worthy.

@ redhawk

let's agree to disagree. my point is, her success as a director comes from the fact she's woman, and women have it difficult in hollywood, especially as a director/producer.

@ redhawk

let's agree to disagree. my point is, her success as a director comes from the fact she's woman, and women have it difficult in hollywood, especially as a director/producer.

Sure it has nothing at all to do with the fact that she's a capable director who has made films that overrated or not people have responded to. Her notoriety has nothing to do with the fact that films like The Hurt Locker and Point Break have memorable and entertaining scenes.

updown.gif

I digress.

Last edited:
As a film this is a 10/10, better than hurt locker IMO. If you're looking for historical accuracy it's maybe a 4/10.

I understand the goal of this film, is to use Maya as a catalyst to understand what was undergone to get Bin Laden including the people that lost their lives in that pursuit, and from that aspect this is an excellent film and Oscar worthy. I just hope people understand this is a fictionalized account of what happened.

@ redhawk

I hope this doesn't get me banned, but your post is simply idiotic, disgusting and insulting. I agree that women have a difficult time in Hollywood and that in the past she may have never had the chance to direct, but saying that she only gets props because she's a woman is just BS.

I hope this doesn't get me banned, but your post is simply idiotic, disgusting and insulting. I agree that women have a difficult time in Hollywood and that in the past she may have never had the chance to direct, but saying that she only gets props because she's a woman is just BS.

so you agree that women have it difficult in hollywood? so it could not be possible that she get's a bit more credit for her work, because most of the time men dominant this area of work (directing)? dont you think this could play in favour of her? again...she could be massiv talented, but there is always a chance that she gets treated differently because she's a woman. that's not her fault, but this is the way of life and just look around..

Sure it has nothing at all to do with the fact that she's a capable director who has made films that overrated or not people have responded to. Her notoriety has nothing to do with the fact that films like The Hurt Locker and Point Break have memorable and entertaining scenes.

when i say she's overrated does it hurt your feelings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"