Marvel Shake-Up: Film Chief Kevin Feige Breaks Free of CEO Ike Perlmutter

If the rumors are to be believed, and Fiege is the one that insisted on Captain America taking place in the 40's and the inclusion of Rocket Raccoon in Guardians, he's clearly more qualified than the creative committee.

:up:

Those are a couple of those rumors that make sense and there are people who back this up. Now, I can't say it's 100% true, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for people to come forward and say so; especially as I've heard no one refute this.

Those are 2 decisions that turned out to be very, VERY good decisions that fly in the face of playing it safe (pushing limits if you will). Peggy Carter got a fairly large role in MCU because of it and Rocket just, well, Rocket Rocked and the on screen chemistry he brought to the screen was very important to the movie.

For what it's worth, I have heard previously that Fiege was the one who insisted upon a 1940's setting for Cap. That isn't new information and it isn't an unfounded rumor, it's something that was confirmed several years ago.
However, what these rumors show is that there is a certain amount of disquiet behind the scenes at Marvel so it'll be interesting to see the repercussions going forward. At this point we pretty much don't know anything, Dr. Strange will be the first movie affected by these changes (if at all) so we'll just have to wait and see.

For what it's worth, I have heard previously that Fiege was the one who insisted upon a 1940's setting for Cap. That isn't new information and it isn't an unfounded rumor, it's something that was confirmed several years ago.
However, what these rumors show is that there is a certain amount of disquiet behind the scenes at Marvel so it'll be interesting to see the repercussions going forward. At this point we pretty much don't know anything, Dr. Strange will be the first movie affected by these changes (if at all) so we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah. I was thinking about when we'd start to see what, if any, effects this change would have and think it'll be post the good doc. I am really, really hoping the new Spidey just smokes. Man, I'd love to see another good Spiderman after the last fiasco (not Garfield's fault BTW).

I think someone already brought this up, but when I was going over the article, I was struck by how the creative committee was made up of comic book and not movie people. That's a big deal. I'm not saying that comic book people CAN'T be good movie people, but it's a different skill set and if you don't know a lot about MOVIES, it's probably not a good idea for you to be making MOVIE decisions or even heavily influencing them. I'm not saying it can't work, but, generally speaking, not a good idea.

Yeah. I was thinking about when we'd start to see what, if any, effects this change would have and think it'll be post the good doc. I am really, really hoping the new Spidey just smokes. Man, I'd love to see another good Spiderman after the last fiasco (not Garfield's fault BTW).

I think someone already brought this up, but when I was going over the article, I was struck by how the creative committee was made up of comic book and not movie people. That's a big deal. I'm not saying that comic book people CAN'T be good movie people, but it's a different skill set and if you don't know a lot about MOVIES, it's probably not a good idea for you to be making MOVIE decisions or even heavily influencing them. I'm not saying it can't work, but, generally speaking, not a good idea.

That will be his excuse when he has to duck class: he was on an extended cigarette break. :o

He'll be huffing and puffing when he's web swinging from all the tar in his lungs. :oldrazz:

If its true that this committee didn't want Rocket Raccoon in Guardians then I am doubly glad they are gone. That's a ridiculous request when he is a very important member of the modern team, and a founder as well.

I wonder whose idea making black widow the main female in CA TWS and push Sharon Carter as background character. Does it Feige or the Marvel Creative Committee?

I wonder whose idea making black widow the main female in CA TWS and push Sharon Carter as background character. Does it Feige or the Marvel Creative Committee?
Whoever it was, he/she is a genius. Removing one of the more annoying Cap side characters and giving room to Widow who otherwise had nothing to do until AoU.

Could also just be the writers.

Marcus & McFeely said they planned and developed the story and script development with Feige.

The first person Feige said he discussed his idea of SHIELD being HYDRA and being taken down with was with Chris Evans the day Avengers wrapped in 2011.

Aside from creative concerns logistically they have to know an actor/ character is available before they start and they also had to know what direction Feige wanted to take the character and his world.

The director would also normally be heavily involved but there was a solid script already when The Russos signed on, though they of course had a part in the later revisions.

:up:

Those are a couple of those rumors that make sense and there are people who back this up. Now, I can't say it's 100% true, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for people to come forward and say so; especially as I've heard no one refute this.

Those are 2 decisions that turned out to be very, VERY good decisions that fly in the face of playing it safe (pushing limits if you will). Peggy Carter got a fairly large role in MCU because of it and Rocket just, well, Rocket Rocked and the on screen chemistry he brought to the screen was very important to the movie.
But didn't you hear? According to What Culture, nobody liked Rocket, and that's why serious comic books don't work! :o
I agree Feige has done a pretty good job. I don't think Marvel has put out anything that was really poor yet (IM1 on). There were a few I wasn't particularly fond of, but that's different than a bad movie. Like Ghost Rider:Spirit of Vengeance (edit:X3....how could I forget that stinker?) or, from what I hear, the latest FF.

As far as the rumors go, of course you never know for sure, but some of these articles make no sense whatsoever and, I think, can be dismissed off hand. The BC article being one of them.

The ones that make sense, I can at least listen to them and give them some credibility. The one just mentioned is one of these. I just wish someone would break a story about FF being back at Marvel. Not that Marvel needs them, but it would be ultra cool.
There's a lot of misinformation going around, I'm sure. A lot of people are less than thrilled with Fiege, and it wouldn't suprise me if misinformation in being intentionally spread. The thing about F4 now, though, is would Fiege still have authority to make an XMen TV swap for F4?

But didn't you hear? According to What Culture, nobody liked Rocket, and that's why serious comic books don't work! :o

There's a lot of misinformation going around, I'm sure. A lot of people are less than thrilled with Fiege, and it wouldn't suprise me if misinformation in being intentionally spread. The thing about F4 now, though, is would Fiege still have authority to make an XMen TV swap for F4?

Yah, I know. The Rocket/Groot thing in particular just didn't work. It really messed up the whole movie and GotG would have been better off without either of them in it. Whoever came up with the stupid idea of a talking Raccoon and some treelike creature who can only say 3 words? Those people who scoffed at the very idea of all of that before the movie was released were right on the button. :o:o:o

I'm sure there's a lot of @$$ covering going on, but I think some of this information was out "before" this reorg came down. Like Rocket and the time frame of CA:TFA. Of course, people are going to pick and choose the info that fits their world view.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Feige, due to his overall success (not what some people are terming his "failures"), developed a lot of clout, had options, was being hamstrung by people who didn't have the greatest understanding of what makes a good movie (creative committee), and basically was going to walk if he didn't get out from under them.

All of the talk about the comic book crew (aka creative committee) being responsible for the "good" movies and being frozen out on the "bad" movies (of which I think there were none - See FFINO, X3, Ghost Rider:SOV, etc. if you want to see "bad"), sounds like something that came out of a bull's southern orifice.

Last edited:
If the rumors are to be believed, and Fiege is the one that insisted on Captain America taking place in the 40's and the inclusion of Rocket Raccoon in Guardians, he's clearly more qualified than the creative committee.

Bendis, Buckley and Quesada are also the same people responsible for the current run of crappy Marvel cartoons so I'd be happy without them being anywhere near the MCU.

Whoever it was, he/she is a genius. Removing one of the more annoying Cap side characters and giving room to Widow who otherwise had nothing to do until AoU.

did you even see Avengers???

I think BW was in TWS because after Avengers people wanted more of the character and TWS was simply where she would fit best. She was great in the movie so I am glad they included her.

I know some people think Widow has been under utilized, but I really don't. I think Hawkeye was under utilized in The Avengers. Remember that the focus (rightfully in my eyes) has been on the big 3 of the Avengers who are easily the biggest draws and have really built the studio franchise as well as their own standalone franchises. Now Marvel has the opportunity to branch out and plan for the introduction of new characters (already started with GotG, Vision, and AM) to move MCU forward while being on solid financial ground. Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, etc. can be introduced with the financial and brand backing that Marvel has built over the past 7 years. No matter what you think about Feige, he deserves a good deal of the credit for Marvel's current position and I for one believe he deserves a shot at moving his vision forward.

No one is going to agree 100% of the time with anyone. I wish they had the cave and the farmhouse in AoU, but my opinion doesn't count for anything when it comes to how a movie is made. I personally liked AoU better than the original Avengers and the more we can dig into the characters, the better I like it. I hope Feige agrees with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"