The Dark Knight Rises Kind of feel like this was the best Bruce Wayne

Optimus_Prime_

Superhero
Reaction score
His Batman appearances were somewhat limited, and I've always found Nolan's Bruce to be a bit emo-ish, yet this time I thought he kind of changed all that.

I disliked the circumstances at the beginning. "Injuries he sustained eight years ago?" All the cartiledge damage. Just didn't buy a lot of that. I kind of wished they had done the opposite. Had him training while in hiding, like that's all he knew to do to pass the time, and became reclusive. It would almost make Bane defeating him even more impressive.

But once the plot conveinently forgot what eight years of atrophy does to the body...

...He nailed it.

It was like Val Kilmer meets Michael Keaton. They brought back the "disturbed mentally" and "kind of off" element Keaton had. They also gave him a "devil may care sensibility" as Bruce which got rid of that "prick millionaire" identity Nolan used before. Much better. Made Bruce likeable, so when he was out of costume you weren't waiting around for him to put it on so he'd stop being a d*** to everyone.

Then the training. Lots of training.

The facing your fears part seemed a little plot devicey. I kind of knew he'd eventually try it without the rope, but I loved the Rocky training sequence. I've always wanted one in a Batman, and it's never been done.

I guess the problem is the limited Batman appearances, although he seemed to let go of the voice a little more this time so he could actually speak and carry on a conversation that wasn't dead serious.

Plus: "no guns, no killing". Perfect, yet corny, Batman line. I love how he deadpans it like he doesn't realize how ridiculous it sounds. Perfect Bats.

It was really the first time they seemed to have any fun with Batman.

Nolan's Bruce Wayne was the best on-screen depiction I've seen.

Nolan's Bruce Wayne was the best on-screen depiction I've seen.
What I disliked about Nolan before is other people pushed Bruce Wayne. Lucius got him tech. Gordon did his detective work. Alfred kept encouraging him to "be the outlaw" or get up and fight the good fight. This time he pushed people away.

That's what Michael Grough did, he acted like it's my duty to stay here, and I love Bruce, but I'm letting him know everyday how much he hurts me. In The Dark Knight Alfred seems downright happy to be helping out his vigilante crusades. This movie did a better job of showing Batman attempting to be a one man army.

Alfred, I have to do this, if you wanna leave, leave. Yeah, Batman does that.

He goes and modifies everything behind Lucius' back, that's great.

He did lean on Gordon at all.

The only thing missing was a visit to the grave.

I liked the fact that they showed the journey Bruce goes through, the focus on Bruce was a good thing but more run time was needed to show that in detail.

Kind of? Try definitely :)

I agree, it was the best Bruce-centric we've seen in the films so far, I think he will always have an element of emoishness (is that even a word?!) but thats all part of the character, Batman is emo when you think about it.

I agree also that he played it perfectly this time around with the just don't care kind of outlook. I like in the party and he tells Miranda it's probably being held by a hag, he doesn't even apologise when she says she held it! Great Bruce moment.

What I disliked about Nolan before is other people pushed Bruce Wayne. Lucius got him tech. Gordon did his detective work. Alfred kept encouraging him to "be the outlaw" or get up and fight the good fight. This time he pushed people away.

That's what Michael Grough did, he acted like it's my duty to stay here, and I love Bruce, but I'm letting him know everyday how much he hurts me. In The Dark Knight Alfred seems downright happy to be helping out his vigilante crusades. This movie did a better job of showing Batman attempting to be a one man army.

Alfred, I have to do this, if you wanna leave, leave. Yeah, Batman does that.

He goes and modifies everything behind Lucius' back, that's great.

He did lean on Gordon at all.

The only thing missing was a visit to the grave.

Let's not forget that Michael Caine's Alfred had a military background and had his share of adventures. As long as the stakes were low (taking out low level bad guys) why shouldn't he enjoy helping Bruce, you know? It probably reminded him of his own youth a bit.

And then this movie happened and it was a perfect emotional break to show how high the stakes had gotten. Alfred simply couldn't handle Bruce's recklessness anymore. It's hard to support someone who no longer cares about living.

As for the detective work, he got a lot of information by spying on the police, which counts as detective work. But the fact is, these movies were action movies according to Nolan, so it'd be hard to focus on the detective aspect without sacrificing the epic story or the action.

I agree, it was the best Bruce-centric we've seen in the films so far, I think he will always have an element of emoishness (is that even a word?!) but thats all part of the character, Batman is emo when you think about it.

I agree also that he played it perfectly this time around with the just don't care kind of outlook. I like in the party and he tells Miranda it's probably being held by a hag, he doesn't even apologise when she says she held it! Great Bruce moment.
They dialed back the smarm. Before he was unlikeable.

In the scene in the restaurant with Dent, when he gave the endorsement, and then threw the fundraiser it felt really insincere. Like "does the wittle DA want me to throw him a bone".

This time I felt more genuine warmth from Bruce, and a little more boy-ish charm. Kind of like the trust fund kid with a good heart, but never quite grew up. Kind of naive, yet on top of things at the same time.

Definitely more in line with BTAS than the previous Nolan outings, much, much, much, moreso.

I thought the writing, characterization and portrayal of Bruce in the Nolan films to be the best but I really dont like Bale or care for him in the role if that makes any sense.

I thought the writing, characterization and portrayal of Bruce in the Nolan films to be the best but I really dont like Bale or care for him in the role if that makes any sense.
It felt kind of phoned it in in the last two, but this one I appreciated his performance.

Hmm...it does. But I disagree XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"